Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The GAR building is open to trespass « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of 8 pm yesterday, the plywood covering an entrance to the GAR building on Cass Avenue had been pried off. The plywood was leaning up against the entrance, and you could walk right into the building. I tried to push the plywood back into the opening to give it the appearance that the entrance was secure, but I couldn't move it(This plywood covering was like 10 feet tall and 5 feet wide).

Who can be contacted so that the entrance is boarded back up.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say goodbye to all the copper inside that building.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Olympia owns it now...you should be able to find their number on their website

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9752
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plywood has been bent off for quite some time - it wasn't completely off before but it was certainly accessible.

Masterblaster

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you thejesus for informing me of the owner.

I called Ilitch Holdings and the woman who answered said that they would solve the problem promptly.

Masterblaster

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Jt1, if you knew the building was illegally accessible a while ago, why not call the owner and inform him/her????

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the plywood was bent before, but not in a manner that would allow someone to get inside, as the plywood opened about a foot on the LEFT side of the door, and the door opened on the RIGHT side...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9755
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MB - I passed it in a hurry on my way to the office and completely forgot until this thread.

Andy - Thanks for the clarification.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked by it yesterday. Looked secure.

Andylinn

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i checked it on the 10th, and it was locked up TIGHT. quick response. good to see. I won't lie, I wanted to go in and take pictures, but i'm glad it is locked up. I DON'T want vandalism. i wish every building in this town was so well monitored.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... a determined crook knows already how much copper is in that building and anything else he can get out of it..

compare 25gs at the low end.. to an 8$ sheet of plywood. that guy will be back with a saw and a hammer... probably a nice cordless.. and that shit will be gone soon.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has the GAR already been scoured for its copper?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What copper would have been in the building?

In a building of that era, pipes were probably galvanized steel or iron (and would need to be replaced anyway).

In fact, all mechanical/electrical systems would be replaced as a matter of course in a rehab.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friends of the Book Cadillac secured the Gar about 2 years ago; it had been open prior to that.

A phone call to Olympia would take care of things now.

Andylinn

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm just saying that they re-mothballed it FAST. aside from making it risky and dangerous to get into now, it just shows potential scrappers that this building has tiger stadium class monitoring going on. i mean, they know someone is paying attention. if i was a copper thieve, i think about that and then move onto another building.

BTW... Wilbur Wright school in woodbridge is getting hit hard by scrappers... I keep seeing smoke billowing out of that building as scrappers melt off plastic from wires... f***ers. doesn't help that the front door is unlocked...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever is the incentive for owners of vacant buildings to not secure them?

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.. well.. the owners could scrap out the buildings themselves? sort of like buying a parts car...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whatever is the incentive for owners of vacant buildings to not secure them?"

Demolition by neglect, handy when dealing with historically protected structures that the owner wants flattened.

Maddy-Lenox-atcha.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:"Demolition by neglect, handy when dealing with historically protected structures that the owner wants flattened"
This is pretty much how it plays. The building gets stripped of metal by the pound and when the absentee owner finally wants $$$$ help with the demolition the cry heard is "well, the building is all stripped now!"

What's the first thing done in a large scale re-hab project?

You tear out (=strip) the plumbing and electrical systems out because you need new, modern feeds and drains and new power distribution and wiring.

Demolition is an industry that wants to keep working

restoration is a trade to some, but not nearly as large a trade as demolition

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Specially when when the Kwamsters high school buddies are doing the demolition.

Air quality equipment, perimeter fences, warning signs, permits - who needs em ?

Donovan/Sanders-atcha

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.