Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Does Ilitich need to make a decision soon « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: renewing his lease on the Joe?

Isn't there an exercise date of Aug 15?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 681
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's the 16th, but yeah, he has until then to renew his lease.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for a poll.

On or before August 16 what will happen:

0 Ilitch announces Wings will stay at the Joe
0 Ilitch announces Wings will move to a new arena
0 Ilitch and DET will extend the time to make a decision

Emu_steve

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll vote.

I vote for the 3rd option.

I think things are perking behind the Fox but all of the ducks are not lined up yet.

How about a 60 day extension before Ilitch has to decide?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a 22 month extension before Ilitch has to decide?

Lease up for Cobo, the Joe doesn't expire till 2010

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, so much for the joint announcement with Quicken......Looks like we are currently 0 for 2.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, don't be surprised to see the new arena announced in the coming months...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, what would the City do? Kick them out? It's not like anyone else is clamoring to book 40 events a year there.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3588
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This only makes sense. If he announces a new arena today, fall 2009 would be the earliest they could move in. An extension of the current lease was neccesary, and the city surely did not want to get on his bad side...although they should have raised his rent.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though their lease would be up in a year+, I'd still think they'd make an announcement if they were, in fact building a new staduim. Chances are, they'll revise the lease for another 5 years and move on to Illitch Village.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only in the city of Detroit would they not know when they're lease with 2 such prominent properties would end??? WTF?? The City should be receiving a much larger sum of money than what the lease terms are currently.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if those later dates are due to various options. How long would it take to build a new arena? if they decide now, between design, needed demolition, etc, might it not be ready till 2010?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^If all the property was already acquired, and design started immediately, a new arena could probably be built in just over 2 years (depending on severity of the winter).

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm ok well when is out deadline to have plans going for the expansion of Cobo before we loose the North American International Auto Show?
I know the NADA announced a few months back that if plans aren't out there soon the Auto Show will move to Chicago... (Detroit will still have an Auto Show but it won't be the North American International Auto Show).......

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5107
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny I thought the DAIAS was sponsored by DADA, and not NADA (which I don't think sponsors auto shows).

So how can you be so sure that the NAIAS name is moving to Chicago?

Maybe DADA owns the name "NAIAS", and any show in Chicago that is bigger and more prestigious would have to be named something else?

I highly doubt that the Detroit Area Dealers Association will just hand over the name to Chicago, especially if they own the name!

Although I agree an expansion of Cobo is necessary, I think that the talk of moving the show is more HYPE than substance. After all why would the Detroit Dealers want to move the show to Chicago?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5111
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like dual threads...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move NAIAS to a different thread or kill it. There is no factual basis whatsoever to Jyogi's assertion. DADA runs the show; if they have registered the name NAIAS as a trademark then they have exclusive use of it, otherwise anyone can run any kind of show and call it that.

The only talk I've ever heard of moving the show is right here in this discussion.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe both Ford Field and CoPa took roughly 2 years from the time the tractors arrived until the teams took the field.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.