Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » HAZMAT situation on Montcalm near ballpark? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/13846221/detail.html

quote:

Breaking News: Haz Mat Situation Shuts Down Roads Near Comerica Park

POSTED: 8:29 am EDT August 8, 2007

Fire and hazardous materials teams are investigating a situation at Comerica Park.

Crews have been on the scene since 10 p.m. Tuesday.

Montcalm Road was shut down Wednesday morning as the investigation continues.

Maybe they got a report of a foul stench coming from the vicinity of Jason Grilli? Then, the Tiger bats caught fire, and the situation needed to be contained.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was some Mercury spilled from a medical device. Nothing to see here.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I like the "Grilli Theory," this is probably the final cleaning-up of spilled mercury from a broken blood pressure gauge that occurred at the park yesterday afternoon.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see they got it taken care of in a little under 24 hours then...

I'll modify my theory to place the timing of the gauge breaking right after Grilli gave up the bomb that tied the game last night. I know my BP went through the roof!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I almost had to buy a new TV.

I think between last year's World Series and some incidents this year, I've had my fill of Grilli.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire Grilli! *clap clap clapclapclap*

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The authorities’ reaction to a Mercury spill never fails to amaze me. When I was a kid we use to play with the stuff barehanded in Science class.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, people also used to take meth when they had a cold.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4063
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe they got a report of a foul stench coming from the vicinity of Jason Grilli? Then, the Tiger bats caught fire, and the situation needed to be contained."

^^Ha ha ha Love it Udmphikapbob.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Uh, people also used to take meth when they had a cold.

They did? What was the brand name?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The experimental medical use of amphetamine began in the early 1930s. In approximately 1933 it was introduced as an over-the-counter decongestant product called the Benzedrine Inhaler, a tube containing volatile amphetamine base that would release the drug in vapor form when inserted in the nostril. For internal use it was introduced as the pharmaceutical Benzedrine sulfate tablets in 1936 and marketed especially for minor depression. During the Second World War the drug was used by the Allied militaries, especially the air forces, to fight fatigue and increase alertness among servicemen; the German and Japanese militaries similarly employed methamphetamine. After decades of reports of abuse, the FDA banned amphetamine inhalers, and limited the drug to prescription use in 1959, but illegal use became common.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting, thanks for the info. What was the source of the quote? It sounds like something I might like to read.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Advice: Chances are if there is that much text quoted in a post, then it was prob. taken from something on the internet. Therefore, a simple copy and paste of the paragraph into your favorite search engine brings up the following web site: http://en.citizendium.org/wiki /Amphetamine

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's correct, that's where it came from. I forgot to post the source, and was too lazy to look it back up.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I was just messin' with Ramcharger. I had an extra moment to dig it up...

Ramcharger

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to point out that it should not be up to the reader to search for the source of a quote, and that it is the responsibility of the writer (or in this case the poster) to cite his sources. But, then I figured that is something everybody should already know, so why bother.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Lowell needs to beat up on Focusonthed then...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.