Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Poverty « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/ story/0,12271,1593904,00.html

"...According to the US census bureau, poverty has been on the rise for the past four years, despite a robust economy. The number of people living in poverty increased last year to 12.7% of the population, some 37m people, the highest percentage in the developed world. Since Mr Bush took office an additional 5.4m have slipped below the poverty line. In 1970, the rate was 11.1%. Almost 8% of white people are classified as below the poverty line and almost 25% of African Americans. ..

In Detroit, 34% of the population live in poverty, including almost half the children under 17...

...Rarely, if ever, has poverty continued to rise so long after the end of a recession. The median household income in the US has stagnated for the past five years at around $44,400, the longest period on record. Globalisation is forcing US companies to keep prices low to compete and many manufacturers are closing factories and shifting production overseas: 2.7m industrial jobs have been lost since 2001. Many of those workers are moving into lower-paid service jobs.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Themax. We are being fleeced for the benefit of the top 2% and sold to China.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was surprised last year when I was doing a research project on economics and I picked Uganda and found that they had a better distribution of income (gini coefficient) than the U.S. For that matter, I was surprised that Russia and China do as well. The lower the number, the better distribution of income: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ist_of_countries_by_income_equ ality

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And remember the 40% of adults over 35 who are functionally illiterate, and the 40% of families with no car, the horrible graduation rate of the schools, etc. etc. I think something like half of Detroiters are below the poverty line or something. I don't remember.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the census data cited at Wikipedia, 26 percent of Detroit lives in poverty. This is not at the high end, either. Miami is over 28 percent. I'd like to see some attribution for that 34 percent number.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.census.gov/Press-Re lease/www/releases/archives/in come_wealth/007419.html

quote:

Larger cities with the highest proportions of people in poverty in 2005 included Cleveland (32.4 percent) and Detroit (31.4 percent). Cities with the lowest percentages were Plano, Texas (6.3 percent) and Virginia Beach, Va. (7.4 percent). (The estimates for Cleveland and Detroit were not significantly different from each other. In addition, the estimates for Plano, Texas, and Virginia Beach, Va., were not significantly different from each other.)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Americans dont enjoy the prosperity and protection that the working and lower middle class of past American generations and citizens of most free societies because there has been a steady decrease in participation in our political system.Dont like youre union representation? Vote them out of office. Attend union meetings regularly. Democrat and Republican party not much different? Elect worker and lower middle class friendly third party Senators. Of course we live in one of many countries that reward educated-innovative individuals with handsome compensation packages and a higher degree of status than the 70-80% who sell their labor, but should we be forced to live in debt, working a full time and one part-time job to eke out a living?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much of the poverty increase can be attributed to other factors such as the natural increase of population?

I more useful stat would be the percentage in poverty in 2000 vs today.

Unfortunately what we are seeing here is the result of shedding our industrial-based economy without having much else to rely on.

In addition, census numbers only come out every 10 years. Therefore who is interpolating the data? Was the data based upon the prior trend? (Clinton)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3619
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the stats I quoted were from 2000, Dplanner, and these most recent ones are from 2005 estimates.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not like the folks at the census bureau sit around and do nothing for 10 years between official censuses (censi?).

quote:

These findings are contained in the Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2005 [PDF] report. The report’s data were compiled from information collected in the 2006 Annual Social and Economic Supplement (ASEC) to the Current Population Survey (CPS).

quote:

Also released today were tabulations of economic data from the 2005 American Community Survey (ACS), a powerful new tool that provides timely and updated information about the nation’s changing and diverse population every year. The data are available for nearly 7,000 areas including for the first time all congressional districts, and counties, cities and American Indian/Alaska native areas of 65,000 population or more. Without the ACS, this type of information — previously gathered just once a decade - would not be available for communities until 2012.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.