Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Regional mayoral conference? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be a great idea if all the mayors of the metro Detroit cities could come together maybe at least twice a year to work on making the whole region better. Is this something that might be a possibility? Or are the mayors as divided as the general population of metro detroit? Just a thought? It would at the very least show that the mayors are willing to work together.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what we need, another conference - more politicians talking and preening for the cameras.

What we really need are more voters who are unwilling to settle for rhetoric and excuses and who are not afraid to hold the officeholders accountable for their results at election time.

(Message edited by Mikeg on August 08, 2007)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have SEMCOG and most SE Michigan communities are members, if not active participants.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transcript of meeting...

It's your fault!

No it's YOUR fault!!

No wait. It's HIS fault!!!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way for the metro area to get better organized, is for/when the inner ring suburbs realize that they actually have more in common with Detroit then the outer ring suburbs. For example, the City of Ferndale and L. Brooks Patterson don't usually see eye to eye. If the inner ring suburbs and the City of Detroit get together, then things would be able to better fall into place for a more regional system. That is really the 'frist step.'

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 495
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our state leaders that represented Livonia did a GREAT job of getting more money for freeway expansions that fuel much growth for far out new suburbs at city hall when many people tried to save SMART. Not a single state leader even tried to help out. We need leadership in Lansing that cares about Detroit. Livonia and Detroit need a level playing field and we do not have this at this time.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The best way for the metro area to get better organized, is for/when the inner ring suburbs realize that they actually have more in common with Detroit then the outer ring suburbs."

You mean something like this:

http://www.michigansuburbsalli ance.org/

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 688
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, for some reason, i got a good laugh at that link. The 'about us' page seems a textbook description of Michigan's large cities - and not just Detroit, and 'What goes around, comes around' came to mind... Perhaps the outer ring suburbs will look at this and realize that it will happen to them someday too. (i have my own little theory about that, but i'll leave that for another day...)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Over the past couple of years, you may have noticed that your community library is no longer open on Saturdays, or maybe that some of the neighborhood schools were closed or consolidated. Maybe your city stopped garbage collection and you now have to get rid of it yourself, and you might have even seen a FOR SALE sign on the City Hall's front lawn. It's not that your city does not want to provide these services anymore - the problem is that it can't afford to. Cities all over the state are financially stressed, but older, more established cities are especially hurting. Many are actually on the brink of falling into bankruptcy and losing their administrative control to the state government."

This is very much inline with my thoughts and many who write on the subject. Interesting thing is that as the inner ring suburbs become more like Detroit, these inner ring suburbs are even less able to handle the problems of the inner city. They don't have many of the larger resources of Detroit and will suffer even more as they try to fight the inevitable on their own; sorry to say, but look at Oak Park, hazel park and Royal Oak Twp., etc. for examples.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia could no longer afford SMART because of people being stupid instead of being smart.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they should have a retreat in Ohio.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thinking on this thread is that mayors are suppose to be leaders. If they are unwilling to communicate and help each other why should the citizens? Theres no reason they couldnt meet once a year to at the very least show some unity and willingness to communicate. And convey that they dont hate each other the way each city seems to hate each other. This just makes common sence to me. Or is it just to much to ask for our leaders to work together?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This just makes common sence to me. Or is it just to much to ask for our leaders to work together?

If you want results, it makes much more sense to be specific about what you expect from them instead of just saying "work together". And it is unrealistic to expect mayors to "work together" on things over which they have no authority, responsibility or budgetary control.

Regarding regional issues (which is what I'm assuming this thread implies), I think the most you can expect from local mayors is for them to use their influence on other leaders (and occasionally use the "bully pulpit", but only when appropriate) to highlight issues and build consensus around a course of action. You have to remember that mayors in those cities with a Council/City Manager form of government are nothing more than council members who have been selected by their peers to act as the "mayor" (which means that their added authority is to chair the council meetings and represent the city at ribbon-cutting ceremonies).

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. Most often the way to bring regions together is at the state level!

Also good point too, about what does one want to see aside from them just meeting? I vote for starters on wanting to see a regional tax base.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it's all about the state.

The state needs to change the laws and severely edit the "home rule" provisions in our state constitution we have and force regional co-operation. Without that framework forced on from a higher level of government, real co-operation is not a politically safe thing to do.

It's not like these local politicians dislike each other - a family member who was mayor of a suburb for a short time awhile back would tell me about stories how he and Coleman Young would get along fabulously, and they just agreed to keep things the way they are because it kept both political machines in power.

The city/suburb issues, as I have learned, is the most sure-fire way to get a good amount, if not a majority of votes, even today. People are motivated to vote on fear and anger - and both Detroit and the burbs politicians use it to their advantage. As long as that's what gets voters motivated, I don't expect huge change from government.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.