Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Northwest Flight 255 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Woodward
Username: Woodward

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next Thursday, Aug. 16, will be the 20th anniversary of the Flight 255 crash. I was too young to remember it, but I wonder what everybody else's memories of the day were?

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember laying on the couch watching TV at a friend's house in Royal Oak. Suddenly they came on with breaking news about a plane crash at Metro, and they were interviewing people who saw it. The only phrase I remember is somebody describing looking at a body and seeing an open "chest cavity." After that, for weeks, it was the major news story and one of the papers printed a picture of every single person who died in the crash. To this day I still wonder what happened to Cecilia Cichan, the little 2-year-old who was the only survivor, and when I fly out of Metro I try to look out the window at the flaps on the wing.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horrible tragedy. There's a pdf online that discusses the events that lead up to this, as well as photos. Just awful.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5668
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everytime I drive by that stretch of I-94 on the way to the airport, I think back to that day. It's almost unimaginable to have been there on the day it happened. Someone once told me there's a memorial over by Middlebelt but I have yet to see it from the road.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was living in Los Angeles at the time. I had family there who were all transplants from Detroit. We were all pretty much glued to the television news coverage of that tragic event.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4659
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I remember that day like it was reported yesterday. I wasns't anymore than 15 when that happened. Was glued to the TV for that and subsequent days....

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a Sunday. We were getting back from Holly visiting my buddy's older brother driving down a dirt road in a Chevette when the news came over the radio. What touched me most was the little girl, the sole survivor, who survived only because her mother shielded her from the flames and impact with her own body.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was leaving a friends house in Ypsi headed to work in Rochester Hills. I actually saw all of the smoke and fire from afar. It was a sight that i will never forget.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ecelia_Cichan

Wiki about the lone survivor.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She got married about a year ago to a classmate-it wasn't her mother that saved her, which engendered a lot of anger @ the media wen they broke that story...but I thought made it more touching

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this archived DYes Forum thread from last year at this time:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/79942.html

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I flew out of Metro a couple days later and had to fly over the crash scene. The view was terrible, debris seemed to be scattered everywhere and everyone was very sullen.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too clearly remember that Sunday evening when the news broke on television. It was horrifying and captivating news!

And still to this day, I think about it every time I drive by Middlebelt on I-94. I always glance over to the grove of trees planted in memory of the victims.

List of those who lost their lives:
http://www.flight255memorial.c om/

Picture of the memorial marker:
http://www.flight255memorial.c om/marker.html

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6336
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the NTSB reports:

Accident Brief

Factual Report

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a good friend on that flight.

Woodward

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Kathleen. I had searched the archives for 'Flight 255' before posting but didn't find it.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy...if you drive south on Middlebelt from the airport and get onto the ramp to I-94 eastbound, you can see the stand of trees that were planted in memory of those who were killed in the crash.

I used to travel quite frequently and would always go by there to offer a prayer for them.

A friend of mine was part of the emergency response team that went to the crash right away. He had told me it was the most horrific thing he ever saw and that he had nightmares for quite some time afterward.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 693
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it well, it was very depressing especially when the news broke as top how it happened. THe miracle baby was a big story as well. I wonder how she is doing, she is a young adult now as mentioned above.
My friends mother was also on the flight.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember the grooves that were carved in the cement by the plane. My then-wife worked at the airport (she was off that night) and I would drive her to work every day. At the corner of Middlebelt and Wick, if you were on Wick, facing east, turning north on Middlebelt, there were grooves carved into the pavement from where the plane skidded through the intersection before crashing underneath the train overpass.

I remember it like yesterday.

A friend of mine was a cameraman for one of the TV stations and was sent to cover the story. To this day he still remembers the scene, especially the smell.

One of Detroit's saddest days.

Woodward

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recent blog post discusses a National Enquirer article about the survivor:

quote:

The article in question was one of those “tragedy to triumph” stories, an Enquirer staple, about a girl, orphaned at an early age, who rose above to graduate from college, get religion, and marry a fine fella. It also had a “where are they now” flavor to it.

Wish he would have posted the article, even though it is the Enquirer. Anybody catch it?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I happened to talk with one of my retired law partners 2 days ago who represented National Car Rental in the litigation that followed the disaster. Of all his cases, this one really comes to mind on a yearly basis. That and maybe to a lesser extent, the DC-10 crash in Chicago. Ones he ( and I ) will never forget. Detroit attorneys lost a wonderful friend in the 255 disaster. Jim Tuck was one of the best. He represented the City on different occasions when the census figures were in dispute.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe that it has been 20 years since this tragedy happened.

We were at a church picnic in Allen Park (at Southfield and I-94) and amongst our members were many Allen Park and Melvindale policemen and firemen. When all of their beepers went off simultaneously, we knew there was something big going on! Once the policemen that were with us began to call in to the station, and we looked to the west and could see the smoke, both the firemen and cops jumped into a van that was there and we began to make our way to the scene. I went along with them because I was a former EMS person, and I figured that maybe I could help out so I volunteered to help them out.

As we began to approach Telegraph going west on 94, we could see that the police had already closed the expressway down and we were stopped by a State cop who asked us where we thought we were going. All of the cops in the van had their badges out, and when we told him we were there to help, he sent us further down the road towards the airport.

I have, to this day, not seen such a response of help in one place at one time. There had to be at least 100 ambulances staged on the west bound side, all waiting to get in to remove survivors. It was a sight to behold, and one that I never hope to see again in my lifetime.

Since we were at the scene of the crash in less than an hour, our job was to look for survivors and locate and mark body parts. I remember receiving a stack of bright yellow 3' x 3' tarps and being told to cover anything resembling human remains. I went through mine very quickly, as did the rest of the folks I was with.

The worst part was when I looked back at the site later, just before dark, and all you could see was a sea of bright yellow. It was indeed surreal.

The very worst part was the looting. There were people coming out of the subdivisions around the area and stealing stuff from the bodies and suitcases. I personally watched a County cop arrest a looter and almost beat him to death. He deserved it, in my opinion.

May God Bless each of those who died that day and the families that were torn apart by their deaths- I shall forever remember this tragedy.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at college at NMU then and even Marquette carried continuous coverage... maybe it was CNN? That, the Challenger explosion, and John Lennon's and Reagan's shootings were all thing that come to mind that were on TV 20-27 years ago.

(Hey! I took 3 years off to work! I know what you're thinking...)!

James

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9234
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I wrote on the thread last year, my family and I had been on that flight perhaps 50 times over the years, with family in both states we went/still go back & forth frequently. NW 255 was a very convenient flight to travel to Phoenix - departure times varied depending on the time of the year, anywhere from 6:30pm to 7:30pm. We would often spend the day with family stuff and then dash to the airport, leaving (in those days) dinner to the airline to serve, and family members talked often of how we would be on that flight in anticipation of a great time in Arizona or as we returned to Arizona after a wonderful time in Michigan.

Though the majority of the passengers on the flight were from Arizona, we did not know any of the passengers on the flight nor were any family members aboard. We often think "but for the grace of God....." but realize we don't have any control over these things.

A very sad day of remembrance indeed.

One interesting aside: the crash city/region is apparently where these memories remain alive. I have never seen (other than the first couple years) the anniversary of this flight, or any aspect of it, recalled in the press in Arizona. I will watch to see what, if anything, appears this year.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was in Brooklyn at the time and forget how I heard about it, so all I have now are memories of the sorrow and sadness that followed the news.

Can't believe it was twenty years ago.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pic, Mauser! Thanks.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very well written account from someone staying at a hotel on Middlebelt Rd. who saw the crash.

http://blogs.thatsracin.com/ch eckeredpast/2005/08/tom_higgin s_scu_1.html

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3671
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Truax Field in Madison when the crash occurred. Many flights heading for Detroit were diverted to Milwaukee and Madison in order to park them for the night. Numerous cabs and city buses were sent to the airport to handle all that added traffic downtown or to the several hotels near East Towne Mall.

All in all, the incident was beneficial for Madison's hotels. For a city of its size, Madison has a helluva lot of hotels and motels.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 555
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had just turned 10 years old a few days before, and it frightened me so much. I couldn't stop watching the coverage.

I was one of the thousands of little kids who wrote to Cecelia Cichan. Can't remember which news outlet provided the address. Felt like it was something I had to do. Glad to see she's turned out well, and has made a good life for herself.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Threads like this are not going to help me overcome my fear of airplanes.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing to be afraid of Mayor_sekou - youll go to heaven when the good Lord calls you.

And not a minute sooner.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tom Higgins article was a good read, but I admit shedding a few tears. Thanks for posting it
j-to-the jeremey

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was living out of state at the time, and had returned home with my wife and then six-month-old son for my cousin's wedding. We weren't scheduled to fly out until Monday (or was it Tuesday?). Our flight path didn't provide a disconcerting view of the crash scene, but seeing I-94 completely empty of cars was haunting.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rather than re-tell my experiences that night, I'll just repost what I wrote on the thread last year:

I was also on the tarmac that night. My flight from San Diego had just landed and it took an unusual amount of time to get to the gate. I never tried to figure out the exact timeline, but I figure the crash accurred while we were taxiing to the gate.

I don't recall anybody noticing the crash while we were still on the plane - just seemed like some kind of delay.

Once we deboarded, there was a sense at the airport that something had happened. Law enforcement walking briskly and running in some cases, and an overall feeling in the air that wasn't good. I think in baggage claim is where we first heard of a possible crash. By the time we had walked outside and were waiting for the shuttle to take us to the parking lot, everybody knew what had happened and all I can say is that it was a really bad scene, especially since you could see the light and smoke in the distance. The shuttle driver had the radio on and everyone was hoping it wasn't a bad crash.

We took a different way home and the radio got turned off at some point, my dad figuring to try to minimize the exposure to it all.

What a tragedy.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flight 255 memorial site photos

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 7/08/16/where_was_god.htm

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FLIGHT 255'S LONE SURVIVOR: 20 years after crash, angels still protect her life

Victims' families work to change laws, help others in disasters

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always under the impression that everyone who died, died on impact. But according to a security guard who was one of the first on the scene there a few walking around on fire who he was unable to help due to the growing fire and explosions.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that was interesting. I was thinking perhaps the people he saw were on the ground, and just critically wounded rather than casualties. Maybe from the rental car place. Were automobiles struck while in traffic ?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The medical examiner said that all aboard were killed by multiple injuries. Roughly ten percent were burned but all fire injuries were post mortem. Two people on the ground were killed. They may have been the ones walking around on fire.

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the night that happened. I remember that you could smell the jet fuel smell in the air- and see the orange glow from the flames standing in our driveway. I lived in Canton at the time. Horrible...may their souls rest in peace.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4807
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mchealth.com/wcep/m aterials/Flight255/NWFlight255 .pdf#search=

This was on the previous DYes thread from a year ago. Warning: Graphic imagery!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4808
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had there not been light towers/obstructions could the plane have gotten higher? Could they have adjusted the flaps after the fact?

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View with caution. Not recommended for children or the weak.

http://www.aerialpics.com/N/fl ight255.html

Tribute to all the men and woman who assisted in the recovery.
May all the passengers, flight crew and persons on the ground
Rest in Peace

(Message edited by flybydon on August 16, 2007)

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving to the airport.
My good friend and I were taking his sister to the airport, she was supposed to be on that flight going back to U of A. We were VERY LATE in picking her up as we were out partying the night before. She yelled at us the whole way there till traffic stopped. Her roommate was on the flight...

Woodward

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of "what ifs" in this accident. According to the accident investigation, since the crew didn't know the flaps weren't extended it was almost impossible for them to take the right actions. They might have thought they encountered a windshear and tried to elevate the plane more quickly/steeply, causing the plane to oscillate and eventually strike the pole. Not a tech guy so I'll let the report speak for itself:

quote:

2.9 Flightcrew Actions After Takeoff
Even though the Safety Board determined that the flightcrew failed to configure the airplane properly for takeoff, the Safety Board examined the flightcrew’s actions after takeoff to see
if they could have prevented the accident.
By the time the airplane lifted off, the captain had rotated it to a 11” to 12” nose-up pitch
attitude. The stick shaker activated at liftoff and continued to operate throughout the flight. After liftoff, the captain rotated the airplane to a 13” to 14” noseup pitch attitude, and, 4.5 seconds after liftoff, the SSRS alarm activated and the airplane began to roll. The subsequent rolls and controlinputs required to recover from them decreased the airplane’s climb capability by about 20 percent.

Between the start of the first roll and initial impact, the airplane’s pitch attitude varied between 13” to 14” noseup and these pitch attitudes were either at or just below the angle of attack which activated the SSRS.

The Safety Board’s performance calculations showed that the airplane would have cleared the light pole if the roll oscillations were eliminated and the captain could have avoided them by
lowering the nose of the airplane and maintaining a pitch angle that would have positioned it at or
65 just below the stick shaker’s angle of attack. Given the configuration of the wing, flaps and slats retracted, the stick shaker would have initiated at an angle of attack of about 1 l", 2" below the SSRS’s angle of attack and below the angle of attack at which the airplane’s roll stability was compromised. Had the captain flown the airplane at a constant 11” angle of attack, he would have avoided the roll oscillations and the airplane would have cleared the light pole by about 80 feet.

Three Northwest DC-g-82 captains stated that, during an encounter with a windshear, they would consider flying the airplane above the pitch angle that would cause the SSRS to begin.

They stated that the airplane was not stalled at that pitch angle. One of these captains stated that he “would not be completely uncomfortable in the supplementary stall warning region if necessary for recovery.” Although the captain of flight 255 flew the airplane at and just below the angle of attack which activated the SSRS warning, there was no evidence to indicate that the captain of flight 255 entertained similar conclusions as to the airplane’s performance capabilities in this flight regime.

The evidence does not provide a sufficient basis for the Safety Board to conclude that his
entrance into this area of flight was intentional. The airplane lifted off the runway with the stick
shaker activated and at about a 11” to 12” noseup pitch attitude. To silence the stick shaker, the
captain would have had to release the back pressure on the control column and allow the nose to lower about 2”. Given the facts that the airplane had just taken off, that its climb rate was virtually negligible, and that the stick shaker was operating continuously, the Safety Board believes that it would be almost impossible to expect the captain to introduce control inputs which threatened to reverse the airplane’s negligible rate of climb. Throughout the entire flight, the airplane was operating in proximity to the ground. The Safety Board believes that one possible explanation for the manner in which the airplane was flown was that the control inputs of the captain were merely a reflex action on his part to avoid recontacting the ground.

Any evaluation of the captain’s flight techniques must start with a conclusion as to what the captain and first officer believed the configuration of the airplane was. Since they both believed that the airplane was configured as required for takeoff before they began the takeoff, the fact that the takeoff warning did not sound in accordance with their expectations would have further reinforced their belief that the flaps were at 11” and that the slats were extended to the mid-sealed position. During the time they had been in the airplane, there had been numerous communications concerning windshear and microbursts in proximity to the airport. Also, thunderstorms, which might reinforce the possibilities of windshear or gust were in sight north and west of the airport. When the
immediate nature and strength of repetition, both verbally and visually, of the possibility of
windshear is combined with the reasons for the crew’s belief in a properly configured airplane, the Safety Board believes that it is reasonable to conclude that the flightcrew thought they had
encountered a windshear when the stall warnings began after liftoff and focused their attention on
escaping from a windshear encounter. Windshear recovery procedures do not call for a
configuration change. Instead, they call for power and attitude adjustments to prevent the airplane
from striking the ground and, thereafter, to try and establish a rate of climb. The DFDR indicated
that the captain was trying to maximize the performance of the airplane with pitch attitude
adjustments. In addition, the rolling of the airplane also would have been indicative of the type of turbulence that can accompany a low altitude windshear or microburst. The fact that the pitch adjustments exceeded those recommended for use during windshear encounters and placed the
airplane at angles of attack which activated the SSRS alarm could be attributed to reflex actions by the captain to clear the oncoming light poles.

The stall recovery procedures contained in the Northwest APH stated, in part, that if a stall
were encountered with the airplane configured for takeoff the pilot flying the airplane should apply
and call “Max power, flaps 15” while simultaneously relaxing the back pressure enough to stop the stick shaker or buffeting. The pilot not flying will select the flaps and trim the throttles to maximum power. The DFDR recording indicated that maximum power was applied; however, the CVR showed 66 that the captain did not call for the flaps to be set to 15”. The fact that the captain did not try to use this procedure could further indicate that he believed he had encountered a windshear.

The total amount of time that the airplane was flyable was 14 seconds. Even if the crew
had recognized that the increasing airspeed was inconsistent with a decreasing performance
windshear, the short period of time for them to completely and accurately assess what was
happening to the airplane was probably inadequate. The combination of airplane rolling, the stall
warnings, and the possibility of imminent ground contact were probably powerful enough stimuli to
focus the crew’s attention completely on the factors relevant to avoiding ground contact and to
maintaining airplane control and did not allow them sufficient flexibility to expand their attention to include all the factors that were required to more completely assess the airplane’s condition.

The Safety Board believes that the captain’s bracketing of the SSRS alarm was a reflexive
action to the adverse visual cues presented to him. However, the continued operation at the higher SSRS angle of attack instead of the stick shaker angle of attack resulted in the onset of roll oscillations and the loss of critical climb capability.

All DC-9 series airplanes that have leading edge wing slat systems are equipped with an
SSRS. The SSRS system is unique in that it provides an indication of the stall angle of attack; therefore, it may lead to over-confidence while operating above the normally accepted upper limit of stick shaker angle of attack. The Safety Board found that some DC-g-82 captains expressed no concern about operating at the SSRS angle of attack. Only one captain who was interviewed stated that “he would not try to go into the supplementary stall warning area.” It appears that some captains did not recognize the SSRS as an announcement of stall. They viewed the SSRS alarm as a warning with some margin as is the case with the stick shaker where there is a margin. In addition,
these captains expressed no concern about the loss of lateral control at SSRS and the resultant
degradation of climb performance procedure taught by most airlines for windshear. Actually, the
crew were maintaining pitch at or near the SSRS and should have been maintaining a lower angle at
stick shaker.

The possible reasons for these beliefs about the SSRS are either that training is inadequate
or that the simulators do not accurately model the decreased roll stability at angles near to or
greater than the SSRS angle of attack, thus giving a false sense of security. MD-80 flightcrews should be trained on the lateral control hazards that exist while operating at the SSRS angle of attack and the fact that the additional climb performance capability that exists above the stick shaker angle of attack is minimal and easily negated when small roll oscillations commence. MD-80 pilots should be trained to operate at or below the onset of stick shaker activation and to avoid the activation of the stick shaker except in those conditions beyond their control.

The Safety Board cannot determine if the selection of the go-around mode resulted from
an inadvertent actuation of the TOGA switch when the captain advanced the throttles after liftoff or whether the TOGA switch was activated intentionally. However, there is no normal, abnormal, or emergency procedure in the Northwest APH which recommends that the F/D be transferred from the takeoff mode to the go-around mode under the conditions of flight that existed when the transfer occurred.

The simulations of the F/D’s theoretical design performance for the condition of the
accident takeoff demonstrated that, had the F/D remained in the takeoff mode and had the captain
been able to follow the guidance provided by the command bar, the airplane theoretically would
have been flown at pitch attitudes below the stick shaker’s angle of attack. Flight in this regime
would have increased the airplane’s roll stability. Consequently, the airplane’s climb performance would not have been degraded by roll oscillations and spoiler deflections and the airplane would have cleared the light pole.

quote:

3.1 Findings

1. Flight 255 did not encounter windshear either during the takeoff roll or after
liftoff.

2. Flight 255 took off with its wing’s trailing edge flaps and leading edge slats
retracted.

3. The flightcrew did not extend the airplane’s flaps and slats.

4. The flightcrew did not perform the airplane’s checklists in accordance with the
prescribed procedures contained in the Northwest Airplane Pilots Handbook. The
flightcrew did not accomplish the TAXI checklist and therefore did not check the
configuration of the airplane.

5. The airplane’s climb performance was severely limited by the flightcrew’s failure to
properly configure the wing for takeoff.

6. The airplane would have cleared the light pole by 500 feet with only its wings slats
extended.

7. The roll stability of the airplane was decreased as a result of flying it at or below the
SSRS alarm and near the stall angle of attack. The resultant rolling of the airplane
degraded its climb performance.

8. If the airplane had been flown at or below the stick shaker angle of attack, the roll
stability would have been increased and the airplane would have cleared the light
pole.

9. The CAWS unit’s takeoff warning system was inoperative and, therefore, did not
warn the flightcrew that the airplane was not configured properly for takeoff.

10. The failure of the takeoff warning system was caused by the loss of input 28V dc.
electric power between the airplane’s left dc. bus and the CAWS unit.

11. The interruption of the input power to the CAWS occurred at the P-40 circuit
breaker. The mode of interruption could not be determined.

13. The light poles at the impact site did not exceed the limiting standards contained in
14CFRPart77.

3.2 Probable Cause

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the
accident was the flightcrew’s failure to use the taxi checklist to ensure that the flaps and slats were extended for takeoff. Contributing to the accident was the absence of electrical power to the airplane takeoff warning system which thus did not warn the flightcrew that the airplane was not
configured properly for takeoff. The reason for the absence of electrical power could not be
determined.

Full report is here: http://amelia.db.erau.edu/repo rts/ntsb/aar/

Click on AAR88-05

(Message edited by Woodward on August 16, 2007)

(Message edited by Woodward on August 16, 2007)

Woodward

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a follow-up, I believe I've read somewhere that if the plane had managed to clear the pole it could have flown out of the stall.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

View with caution. Not recommended for children or the weak.

http://www.aerialpics.com/N/fl ight255.html

Did you, FlybyDon, takes those pictures, and if so how did it effect you?

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been surprised that a light pole could cause that much damage. Didn't it essentially tear the entire end of the wing off? I mean, I know they have to build the light poles to be sturdy, but still, you'd think.....light pole vs. airplane? Light pole loses every time. To me it'd be like holding up a toothpick and then throwing a full can of pop at it. Not a chance, right? But apparently the light poles are much stronger than I'd have ever thought.

I was only 12. Remember reading the paper the next morning and for many mornings after.

Mzdybel
Username: Mzdybel

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I flew in from Chicago right 1/2 hour before the crash. It was the roughest landing I have ever experienced. Not a pretty site

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still chilling to hear it:

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Stall!"

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Stall!"

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Stall! [Expletive deleted]

BEEP BEEP BEEP ...

http://www.check-six.com/image s/NWA255/CVR-NWA255.wav

Mauser765

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Flight 255 family tonight at 8:46 pm

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9384
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Phoenix (the destination of NW255 and home of most passengers) there are very poignant articles and videos at:

www.azcentral.com

You'll have to give some "demographic" info but it's worth it - if you don't mind the whole tragic affair bringing a tear to your eye.

But for the grace of God.....

(Message edited by karl on August 17, 2007)

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was on my way back from a camping/canoe trip when it occurred. If not for taking my friend home (diverted to a different direction), I likely would have been on that overpass when the plane hit it. Sad the crash was, the sickest thing was the assholes souvenir hunting in the wreckage. They should have been shot on the spot. I didn't read all the posts, maybe answered, what ever happened to the one survivor (baby at the time)?

Mauser765

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cecelia was moved from Phoenix by aunt and uncle, renamed and hidden from the media. She was married three years ago, and has since graduated from college. She does no interviews and will never attend any memorial services for 255. The 255 "family" is massively protective of her and her privacy. Last night I did talk with the man who found her and the woman who transported her to hospital. The paramedic who found Cecelia also attended her wedding. She has started reaching out to other families of the tragedy a few years ago, but maintains her privacy.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was just curious about the one good thing that happened that weekend and have no desire to see her molested by the media. Glad to know she's doing okay..

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was three at the time so I of course have no memory of the event, but I've heard my immediate family speak of it only once or twice.

As it looked like a storm was forming, my grandparents in Allen Park were sitting out on their porch, which faces west. All of a sudden they hear a boom and see a plume of smoke go up. Originally my grandpa thought it was one of the huge oil/gas tanks as there are many to be found in that area of Taylor/Romulus. If the power was still on for them at that point, he probably ran inside and turned on his scanner he kept in the living room and listened to all the calls.

As an aside, I was driving my mom back from Ypsilanti a few months ago on I-94 when, as it sometimes happens, a plane flies right over your car on freeway in preparation for a landing. She started freaking out and yelling at me, asking if I had timed it. I looked at her like she was nuts. But, now being fully aware of where the wreck happened and how I was the same age as the survivor, I can almost understand why she did that.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the ceremony several times jets flew right over head either landing or departing. The departing planes took the exact route that 255 was attempting off of the same runway, coming out the corner of the airport over the Wick/Middlebelt intersection and over the trees along the railroad. Everyone knows that around the airport the planes come in at an unnervingly low angle over some of the roads. Lets just say that at this memorial, it had people holding their breath a moment or two while the jets passed.

Text description

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.