Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hands Along Woodward - Sun. Aug. 19 @ 2 PM « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This came in the emailbag recently. Anybody joining this? Thoughts?

Q. What is Hands Along Woodward & Why Should I Participate?
A. “Hands Along Woodward’ is the signature event commemorating Woodward’s 200th Birthday in 2007. 45,000
people are expected to line up along Woodward’s 27 miles to form a human chain from Detroit to Pontiac.
The event is a chance to symbolize and celebrate the region’s strength, diversity, pride and heritage. The
event is also part of a month-long food drive with Gleaners Community Food Bank to obtain 200,000
pounds of food to distribute to our neighbors in need throughout metro-Detroit.
Q. Where and when is it taking place & where do I go? Where do I drop off food for Gleaners?
A. The event will take place on Sunday, August 19 at 2:00 p.m. along the west side of Woodward. Participants
are encouraged to stand along the grassy area or sidewalk away from the street. Bring non-perishable food
to any drop off site listed on the virtual map www.Woodward200.com between July 19 and August 19. Food
can also be dropped off at the Detroit Historical Museum beginning July 19 – August 19th.
Q. How will we know when to hold hands?
A. At 2:00 pm all of the churches along Woodward will ring their bells to celebrate the unity of Woodward and
signify that it is time to hold hands.
Q. Where should we park our cars or bikes?
A. Parking and bike corrals will be available in 6 locations along Woodward: the Fox Garage (free – behind
Hockeytown Café), Lots 1 and 2 across from Comerica Park) at the Detroit Zoo ($2), Michigan State Fair
(free), Cranbrook (free), Lot 9 in Pontiac (free- adjacent to the Phoenix Center at the Woodward Loop and
Saginaw St.). Also, SMART will be providing regular Sunday bus service along Woodward from 10-4 free of
charge to transport you to and from your “hand holding location” back to your parking location if needed.
Q. What if we have questions or need assistance that day?
A. On the day of the event there will be approximately 200 ‘Block Captains’ available who will be able to
answer any questions. They will be wearing bright tshirts with the “Hands Along Woodward” logo.
Q. Do we need to register?
A. We encourage people to register for the event so organizers have an idea of how many people to expect.
The registration form is available at www.woodwardavenue.org/about/p rograms/view/?id=41, or downloaded
and faxed to 248-288-2067. The first 1,000 registrants will receive a keepsake bag with coupons and more.
Q. Once I’ve registered, how will I know where to stand?
A. If you’ve already registered, you will be contacted by phone or email one week prior to event to inform
you of the general area/city where you will hold hands. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ place, so you may
stand and hold hands really wherever you want. Our goal is to have all teams in each community along
Woodward with no ‘gaps’.
Q. What other activities will be going on the day of Hands Along Woodward?
A. Many events are occurring this day. For example, Cranbrook is offering discounted admission to the
museums and gardens for 200 pennies ($2) per person and venue. Check out www.WoodwardAvenue.us
for listing of other Woodward area events that day.
Q. I’d like to volunteer as a ‘Block Captain’. Who should I contact for additional information?
A. A Volunteer Orientation meeting is scheduled for August 9 at 6:30 p.m. at the Michigan State Fair
auditorium. All volunteers must attend this meeting. Call or email the Woodward Avenue Action Association
at (248) 288-2004 admin@woodwardavenue.org for more information.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9758
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought that the 'hand across' whatever are silly events. We need to discuss how to work together as a region not hold hands to "symbolize and celebrate the region’s strength, diversity, pride and heritage"

Gleaners is a good group. The crazy thing about Gleaners is that every time I have contacted them about volunteering they never have need. I think it is one of the fews organziations that has had no need/openings for volunteers when i have contacted them. Must mean they are doing something right.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be fun. The community in which I live (Pleasant Ridge) is organizing its residents to cover our small (half-mile) segment of Woodward Ave. This event occurs the day after the Woodward Dream Cruise. I wonder what they'll do at the intersections: block traffic? have gaps?

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be gaps at the intersections.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...with ropes connecting the line at the intersections, so everyone is still technically connected. it's also just going to be on one side of woodward.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since there will likely be lots of people at the Dream Cruise, and since those holding hands and contributing to the Gleaners will be coming from all parts of metro Detroit, I wonder if there'll be enough people to cover some of the rougher sections of Woodward... State Fair, Highland Park, Piety Hill and lower Midtown?

I'm sure the more popular areas (Dream Cruise, New Center, Cultural Center, downtown) will be well represented with folks.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Gleaners is a good group. The crazy thing about Gleaners is that every time I have contacted them about volunteering they never have need. I think it is one of the fews organziations that has had no need/openings for volunteers when i have contacted them. Must mean they are doing something right."

The same thing with the Capuchins. They seem to have quite the waiting list to volunteer. One thing is for sure, they ARE doing something right. Still enraged those scrappers hit them for copper. GRRRRRRRRR.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow for this event.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.