Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Belle Isle's East End Trashed » Archive through August 08, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 1805

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's normally a pristine part of Belle Isle has since a week ago fallen casualty to unfathomable carelessness. The scattered mounds of litter would not only make a half-naked indian cry, but any upright, conscionable person.

Phone pictures:

early-august litter on east end of belle isle

early-august litter on east end of belle isle2

early-august litter on east end of belle isle3

This sad sight can be experienced currently at the far east end of the Isle. By the mess of plastic Miller Lite cups, I could tell that some kind of organized hoopla had probably just been held there. At first, I joked that maybe the litter we were standing in was only replaced litter from the Grand Prix's course area (for pre-cleanup). I wouldn't be surprised but I seriously doubt that.

*Also, for perspective, let me add that the above photos are all taken from seperate locations. The litter goes on and on, so they're not three vantage points of a single tipped over garbage can.

The next Belle Isle Task Force meeting isn't until September, right?

(Message edited by 1805 on August 07, 2007)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We drove around Belle Isle this past Saturday and the whole island was full of families having reunions. Not to lay blame, but as crowded as it was, this could be a result. No reason for this type of littering at all as Belle Isle was beautiful, the water clear blue, and the "swans" looking good. Just a matter of people taking pride in a jewell they have.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell does "crowded as it was" have to do with a bunch of slobs littering the island?!?!? It looks like the "family reunions" were too damn lazy to pick up after themselves...and/or didn't give a damn about the beauty of Belle Isle. What a disgusting outcome!

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The comment was meant to say the island was PACKED. If you read for comprehension you'd see I was not tolerating a bunch of pigs as I said "No reason for this type of littering at all". Why is this site so full of people who want a confrontation?????

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you took photos of the trash but didn't bother to pick any up? Not even a handful or a few cups?

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, my girlfriend speculated that homeless people could have rummaged completely through all of the garbage cans looking for bottles and cans as they sometimes do with ours. If so, this was some serious collateral damage. Based on the scope of what happened this seems unlikely, but maybe.

It looks to me like some irresponsible persons had a party.

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown,

You're absolutely right, and tomorrow I plan to. Tonight I was with some people who had places to be and we only ventured to that part of the Isle at the end of our basketball "tournament" (a 2-on-2 with our girlfriends). Don't think that didn't cross my mind. Very anxious of you.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

obviously the trash has been dumped out because it is so clustered. i stand by the bum theory.

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, not most of the trash is clustered. Much of it is, and the trash cans were indeed emptied, but the amount of scattered debris is astounding. It looks as though that even if the mounds of trash were emptied from cans (which I'm convinced they were now) that there still remained a gross plenty of all-over-the-place garbage. But maybe the unemptied trash from cans blew away some.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we were out there Local 140 was having there annual picnic in that spot. We had trouble just passing by them due to the fact that there were so many people.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it looks like the rest of the neighborhoods in Detroit.People don't care or think someone else will clean up after them.
How many times have you seen kids walking down the street and just tossing trash left and right?
It just looks like the most natural thing in the world to them.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF are you people doing down there? Shameful, absolutely shameful, bunch of slobs!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9751
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Paul and Cleo make this an issue of all Detroiters when it was the action of a few idiots. Typical.

Paul - Someone was found dead in Northville township. Should I assume that all people in that area are killers or there is a threat to be murdered everywhere there? INstead of being your typical selves why don't you two keep things in perspective and admit that this is irreseponsible behavior of a few people, not everyone in the city. For all we know if may have been someone from the suburbs.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the UAW Local 140 annual picnic. Not only were there signs identifying the event on Saturday, but their website confirms this (www.local140.org). They are located in Warren and can be reached at UAW@Local140.org if you care to complain. Turns out that "you people" and the "bunch of slobs" has an identity.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo, did I miss something? What day was that trash was left on Belle Isle? On the UAW's website there is indeed a notification of a picnic on Belle Isle, but I don't see directions to a specific spot.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw the setup/beginnings of the party that local 140 was having out there on that very spot saturday while getting a few laps in on my bike. while i don't doubt they added to the mess (is there any doubt a party caused it, with evidence of hundreds of the same brand of beer cups?) the area was hardly pristine at the onset of the party

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 08, 2007)

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We drove around Belle Isle last Saturday and saw every picnic area being used. There must have been at least 6 - 10 family reunions (with signage) going on.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 561
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A $3 daily fee or a $20 annual one will lead to more trash receptacles, more workers to pick up trash and better overall maintenance of the island. A cleaner, well maintained Belle Isle will increase the number of people visiting which will increase the park's revenue even more. WHY THE HELL HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE YET??????

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9667
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because the state is in a recession and no one has the money to give.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I emailed the UAW address posted and was informed that they do pay the city of Detroit $750 to use the site which they said is supposed to include clean up.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2565
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I emailed the UAW address posted and was informed that they do pay the city of Detroit $750 to use the site which they said is supposed to include clean up.

Shades of "It's not in my job description to clean up, call Maintenance." I'd hope they left the park clean and someone else came along and messed up their trash, otherwise they're responsible for their mess, city clean-up obligation or not. You don't leave a place like that.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could be the fault of a some garbage cans being blown over, or dogs ripping into a few and the wind taking over.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnny5 - good point. Had the City let the Metroparks purchase Belle Isle the situation would probably be a lot different.

Although, if Belle Isle was part of the Metroparks, would there be a Grand Prix on it this year?

Pros and Cons...(not the only ones, but just saying...)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9754
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Had the City let the Metroparks purchase Belle Isle the situation would probably be a lot different.

I hope that you don't think this was a recent option.

Enough with the 'Let HCMA take it over' nonsense. They have stated they will not consider taking it over. People need to get the silly assumption that this is an option out of their head. HCMA has stated flat out they are not interested and would not consider it.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that debate was not recent. Just making a point.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think someone from the suburbs probably did dump that body (practically on our front lawn).
Point is ... just drive around Detroit and see how much trash is everywhere. I suspect it was the same people having family reunions on Belle Isle that litter their own neighborhoods.

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo needs to spare us all from her MOUTH litter (talkin' trash).

Of course there are segments of EVERY population from high and low that litter. It's a matter of respect. I'd contest that visitors to a city (suburbanites) are more likely to trash a place they have no respect for only then to point the finger because a perceived environment of apathy allowed them to. Well, that's their misperception.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmm, I dont see any where in my post where I blamed any one specific group of people. Parinoid much?

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen many a family picnicking and just dropping their garbage by the can. Maybe if they enforced a fine and the isle cops gave tickets . . .

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo,

You're asking me to play the roll of little Ricky Naive, but I'm a shitty actor.

When you say "WTF are you people doing down there?Shameful, absolutely shameful, bunch of slobs!" I can only surmise that your comment was intently directed towards a specific audience. I've seen you place blame before on said audience, so no more of this playcating.

You make me roll me eyes. Good grief.

(Message edited by 1805 on August 08, 2007)