Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 16 Mile Rule » Archive through August 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was browsing through the forums on skyscraperpage.com this afternoon and came across a post about the metro-detroit rule is that anything south of 16 mile is crime-ridden, awful schools, you know the rest...

The sad thing is, a lot of people buy into this notion. New homes, new strip malls, new everything attitude. As long as things are clean new and WHITE. WHY? Our consumption-based lives of laziness and gluttony are truly damaging our society. I don't know what this post is supposed to accomplish, but thoughts would be appreciated.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

grosse point is south of 16 mile. rule broken

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

16 Mile? Ridiculous.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hit 8 mile!

--Coleman Young

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in birmingham today picking up LIONS tickets and thought to myself, jee if we condensed all of these stupid little downtowns we would have a hell of a city. But that would make to much sense for this area.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, who cares what some idiot posts. Anybody can post anything. I think we have sufficient enough examples here not to believe what you read on a forum. ;)

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

16 Mile? You've eliminated all of Warren (Blue-Collar and Poor Whites), Southfield (Blacks), half of Sterling HTS (Arabic / Caldean), Ferndale (Gays), Hazel Park, Roseville, etc (see Warren), Madison HTS (Asians), parts of Troy (Buffer zone?)... hmmm?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's so wonderful north of 16 Mile?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Huntington Woods for 7 years, that seemed nice - I never realized how bad it was.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9770
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I lived in Huntington Woods for 7 years, that seemed nice - I never realized how bad it was.

You're lucky yu got out of there alive.

The_nerd

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's so wonderful north of 16 Mile?

Well at M-59 you've got traffic, tons and tons of traffic, every Saturday and during rush hours. And of course the "suicide sidewalks" that line M-59.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in birmingham today picking up LIONS tickets and thought to myself, jee if we condensed all of these stupid little downtowns we would have a hell of a city. But that would make to much sense for this area.

------------------------------ --------------

I dont agree with that *rule* at all. But I dont get why some of you just cant wrap your minds around the fact that some people prefer small towns to big cities.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hear it was 10 mile, then 12 mile, so I'm not surprised.

When I bought my house in Royal Oak, one of the questions the insurance agent asked me was if my house was north of 12 mile. Presumably rates are higher on the south side.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live south of 16 Mile. I was robbed 37 times, vandalized 3.2 million times, and I have been murdered repeatedly, first by knife, then three times by guns (a .45, a 12-gauge and an Uzi, which I think belonged to L Brooks Patterson) and the last time was a car bomb

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rediculous. Royal Oak, Birmingham, Pleasant Ridge, Huntington Woods, Northville, Novi... These are just bastions of crime and violence. That's why houses cost so much there, you're close to the action.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people I know up yonder claim that M-59 is the current border line between "civilization" and the "riff raff". It used to be that these people referred to 696 as the new "8 mile" - i.e. the Mason-Dixon line.

Dont kill the messenger, I live sub-8mile. Im just sayin.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have been murdered repeatedly"

He got better.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I dont agree with that *rule* at all. But I dont get why some of you just cant wrap your minds around the fact that some people prefer small towns to big cities."

It's not that they don't understand that some people prefer small towns and suburbs...they aren't interested in what people prefer. Rather, the simply don't like the fact that people hava a choice to live where they chose and that many of them chose to live where they do...

I bet at least half the board would support legislation that forces people to live within a certain bounded area...

they blame Detroit's blight on the fact that people had a choice to move out of Detroit and build new communities and that some people exercised that choice...but instead of asking themselves what problems existed that caused these people to choose to move, they feel that the real problem is that these people had the power to make this choice in the first place

Jt1

Post Number: 9771
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Most people I know up yonder claim that M-59 is the current border line between "civilization" and the "riff raff". It used to be that these people referred to 696 as the new "8 mile" - i.e. the Mason-Dixon line.

What is funny about the claim of civilization north of 59 is that civilazation is considered Wal-Mart, strip-malls, etc. Maybe that is why an arts millage will never pass in this stupid region.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I dont agree with that *rule* at all. But I dont get why some of you just cant wrap your minds around the fact that some people prefer small towns to big cities."

It's not that they don't understand that some people prefer small towns and suburbs to big cities...they aren't interested in what people prefer. Rather, they simply don't like the fact that people have a choice to live where they want and that many of them chose to live where they do...

I bet at least half the board would support legislation that forces people to live within a certain bounded area...

this is because they blame Detroit's blight on the fact that people had a choice to move out of Detroit and create new communities and that some people exercised that choice...but instead of asking themselves what problems existed in Detroit that caused these people to choose to move away, they feel that the real problem is that these people had the power to make this choice in the first place

Rb336

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people think I got better...

The_nerd

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're on the subject of "16-Mile" that Road doesn't exist in most of Metro Detroit? It's Maple, Big Beaver, Metro PKWY...

Jt1

Post Number: 9772

tj - You missed the point altogether. Solid stereotype though.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking of that line from "The Holy Grail".

Peasant: "She turned me into a newt!"
Bedivere: "A newt?!"
Peasant: "Well, I got better."

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"While we're on the subject of "16-Mile" that Road doesn't exist in most of Metro Detroit? It's Maple, Big Beaver, Metro PKWY..."

Maple is 15 mile.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people prefer small towns to cities.

But then they live near a city.

And live in a small town.

And then they would like to live in a small town, but shopping is so inconvenient. If only there were a shopping center.

Even though there is plenty of shopping just a few exits away on the freeway, several shopping centers will be built nearby.

And then the freeway expands to accommodate people shopping.

And then more things get built up, as people stop for coffee (Starbucks) fast food (McD's, BK, etc.) gas (ExxonMobil, BP, etc.) and everything else (Sam's Club).

Then, people have to live in low-income housing somewhere to work at Sam's Club or a gas station.

And their children have to be educated, so you have to do a bond issue and build a huge, brand-new school.

And then it's not the country anymore.

It's suburbanized.

Time to move away, uh, just a few more miles.

And the whole freakin' thing starts ALL OVER AGAIN.

So, some people just can't wrap their head around the idea that it's everybody's problem, that going to live in a "small town" doesn't boil down to preferences when you destroy the very thing you claim to love.

Jt1

Post Number: 9773
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Quarton 16 mile west of Woodward?

Rb336

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And everyone knows that all those are "16 Mile"
Maple, btw, not 16 Mile.

All those people living in those little nothing bland exurbs, raising bored kids to be afraid of anything approaching civilization until the day they leave Michigan for Chicago or NYC...

Thejesus

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"tj - You missed the point altogether. Solid stereotype though."

I think you just need to read though the whole thread...there are various facets to this topic...not just the one the OP raised...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroitnerd and TJ both have a point, even though they are opposite points. It's really a conundrum.