Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Inner City Gardens « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A question for green-thumbed Detroiters.
Last week my pumpkins and gourds were hit with a
milky white mold in the leaves. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it.... organic if possible.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry but you've been hit by powdery mildew. Check:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG /PESTNOTES/pn7406.html

for some tips. It might be too late to apply a fungicide but try anyway. Next year, try to plant only mildew resistant varieties. Do not compost your garden waste, this year, as it may carryover the same fungus to next year's crop. Along with all weeds, toss it all in the trash.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best bio-fungicide to use is Serenade, which has a type of bacteria that destroys the mildew. I spray it on weekly starting towards the end of June.

If you're on the Eastside, I know that Harry's on Dequindre, just south of 10 Mile (across for the raceway) carries it, along with other organic gardening stuff.

As was already said, if you can see it, it probably is too late.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.