Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Buick ties Lexus for #1 spot » Archive through August 10, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some good news for GM and Detroit brands!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/0 8/autos/jdpa_dependability/ind ex.htm?cnn=yes

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you drive, drives America.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for Buick.But then Buick has always had a rep for quality.Of course how well will the Buick stand up to the Lexus in ten years? My 92 Lexus transmisson shifts smoother than my friends brand new Buick.............and the lexus has 190,000 mi on the trans..........anyhow my friends enclave is a very, very nice car.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But then the top-ranked Buick in the study was the Century, which is no longer in production.

Anyways, I don't have any complaints about my LaCrosse.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a '98 Century that hasn't given me a lick of trouble. I'm really hoping to get another 5 years outta it even though I'm at 165,000 miles.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buick baby!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foolish Dyesers, don't you know that domestics don't make anything of value or quality, and the foreign auto companies are faultless?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 3800 series Buick engine has outstanding reliability, though it'll be phased out soon. It's still going strong on my '89 LeSabre-- 210,000 miles.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5503
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, America, what's your excuse now?
GM is moving up, up, up.

jjaba, proud Olds owner.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9237
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone mention you can buy 2 Buicks for the price of a Lexus?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I agree the 3800/3.8 is the best V6 ever made. I've seen them with 300K miles and still running strong.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had to remind me of my 1934 Buick Limousine, with six ‘Cooper Brothers’ tires, and a jump seat in the rear. A spare tire was situated in both front fender wells. It had an external rack on the back for luggage. Back in my era, the forties, giving your neighbor (or anyone else for that matter) a push to get his car started was an automatic gesture. With my Buick, from a standing start, I would put it in second gear, and just gently engage coitus with the car that would not start. No stalling, no hesitation, the straight eight of that Buick tried to buckle the resistance in front of it. If the object car would not start, I would get it moving fast enough to coast to the nearest gasoline service station.
The only reason I sold that car was because it only gave me six miles to the gallon.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9239
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See?? Anybody here got any stories about their 1938 Lexus?

Case closed.

Mikie

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also I thought that it was really kewl that Cadillac ranked 2nd as a brand. I've had mine for 6 years now and I only took it in for service once, the finish on a button chipped off so they replaced the entire navigation system for me.

I'm starting to think that GM may be on a roll!

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl: I just have to comment. All of these platitudes about longevity makes me smile a bit. How many people keep a car more then a few, meaning 3, 4, or 5 years? This argument about the superiority of foriegn cars may well be true. Here is another story. My first car, in 1945, was a 1931 Hupmobile. I was 16 years old. It would only start with a crank. When I got it started it had very little power. So, one fine day, I parked it in the alley behind our garage and I jacked up the front end, put a couple of cement blocks under it, took off the hood, took off the wheel and then took off the front fender. I then took off the head of the 6 L head engine. Sitting on a wooden box, where the wheel was supposed to be, I took off the valve covers on the side of the engine under the manifold Using a "valve spring" lifter, I removed the burned out valves and took them to the Taylor automotive machine shop on E. Warren and Hurlbut. (They had another shop on Gratiot and Belvidere.) They salvaged eight of the valves by grinding them and I had to buy 4 new ones. Through some kind of miracle or other I got everything back together.
With great trepidation, I got into the car, turned on the ignition, pulled the spark retarder out, gave it a half choke, stepped on the starter, AND I ALMOST WET MY PANTS! It started. I let it run for a minute or so. I put it in gear and started down the alley in a ruuuush. I remember thinking, "Look out Barney Oldfield, here I come."
What do we do today??? We take a thousand dollars to a repair shop and buy one spark plug.
What triggered this little anecdote is this.
Our daughter came over to visit a few days ago. She drives a 1994 NIssan. It has 60,000 mile on.
She took it in to the Nissan dealer and told them to give it what it needed. It needed a $ 1500.00 tune up. During the last 60 years, I have bought American everytime. Maybe you seen my "crackerjack" story. I try not to buy anything Made in Japan, or China or India or Timbucktoo.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad has a 94 Olds 88 with the 3.8 and it has 215 thousand miles and it still runs good, as for the 3.8 being the best V6 the verdict is out on that, I have a 97 Lumina with the 3.1 V6 thats getting close to turning over 300 thousand (292 thousand) and outside of having the fuel injectors replaced I have done relatively nothing to the motor except minor things. Knock on wood!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom has a 95 buick regal with a 3800, still runs great. I had a 90 olds 88 with the same engine, everything else died, but the engine, despite my best attempts, was fine. (i don't blame gm for the car dying. my maintenance techniques back then - turn the radio up, if i can still hear it, buy a new radio - were to blame)

My dad, a test engineer at what is now Delphi Flint East, swears by the 3800 and is pissed they're getting rid of them, and may replace the regal with a lucerne v6 soon, so that he can get another one before they're gone. Says you can shoot a bullet right into it, and it'll still run like a champ. granted, that's slight exaggeration, but in my eyes that's quite a testament from someone who makes a living testing this sort of thing.

As for Buick, glad to hear they did so well. And that was with the old models! Can't wait to hear in 3 years how they do with the current ones - I fully expect they WILL beat Lexus then, if not sooner. More importantly, I'd like to see the rest of the company get above the industry average, particularly Chevy. None of the divisions are very far below the average except Saturn, but that division has changed so much recently it's hardly fair to use those numbers for a car-buying decision today.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife owned a Lexus for several years, an SC300, and loved that car. When it came time to retire the old girl (car, not wife), she wanted to get another Lexus. Since we live here in the south, the good ole boys didn't want to deal with a woman. You know, "deal." It was one of those "that's our best offer" things and you knew they could do better.

She did better. She now drives a Lucerne and LOVES it.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 2001 Focus is holding strong at 117,000 miles (nearly all of which are mine). Best part - I paid $9,995.

Citylover

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no better car than Lexus.They set out to make the most reliable car and they succeeded.And please don't bother with the anecdotal .." My friend, or My cousin has a lousy lexus bla bla bla"....... you never see a lexus on the side of the road. Lexus is the benchmark.And one need not buy a new lexus a used one will last years and beyond.

Buick has always had a good quality reputation so this is not that startling.Is buick up to lexus standards? No.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't trash Lexus. My best friend bought a mid '90s model for his wife...as a commuter car (She loved her Trailblazer but wanted better gas mileage). Not long after driving it every day, she turned around and sold the Trailblazer that she was determined to keep before he bought the Lexus. A year later, and she still loves it.

I have to agree with ya Dbest...my Century has the 3.1L V6, and my '90 Grand Prix also had one. I had 210,000 miles on the Grand Prix and the engine was still going strong when I sold it.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last time I was in a Lexus was close to 10 years ago, but my friend and I both noted at the time that the interior trim looked kind of cheap for a supposedly luxury vehicle.
That doesn't have anything to do with durability, I agree, but it dissuaded me from ever wanting to purchase one myself.

Citylover

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats bullshit. The interior of a lexus is superior to almost any other and is superior to any american car.The knobs don't fall off, the door panels don't bulge when rolling the windows up and down.The fact is and it is a fact lexus uses better quality parts.And for the price they should. If lexus is guilty of anything it is guilty of being unoriginal and derivative.There is nothing "supposed" about lexus being a luxury car.It is as good a production luxury vehicle as any ever made.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously Waz disagrees. That's how opinions work. Everybody's got one, just like...

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because brand rankings - for example Buick, Lexus, Mercury, etc. - are based on averages, not all top-ranked brands have specific top-ranked vehicles.

Sub-compact car Scion xA
Compact car Honda Civic
Compact sport car Mazda Miata
Midsize sporty car Chevrolet SSR/Ford Mustang (tie)
Mdisize car Buick Century
Large car Ford Crown Victoria
Compact premium sporty car Honda S2000
Entry premium car Infiniti I35
Midsize premium car Lexus GS
Large premium car Lexus LS
Premium sporty car Lexus SC
Compact SUV Toyota Rav4
Midsize SUV Oldsmobile Bravada
Large SUV Toyota Sequoia
Large Pickup Toyoya Tundra
Midsize pickup Toyota Tacoma
Van Oldsmobile Silhouette
Midsize premium SUV Lexus GX
Large premium SUV Lexus LX

That is quite telling as well.

Mikie

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that for some people there will never be an American car that will be good enough for them. Years ago it was always about the quality and when the domestics brands start to catch up to them it's still not good enough. Remember that the survey is comparing the top of the line Lexus to a Buick.

I would venture to say that the interior of new 2008 CTS is as good if not better then the Lexus, but that just my opinion. Also as an over all brand Toyota came out as 6th in the survey, Cadillac is 2nd.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 582
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am on my 4th Lexus. Still lovin' it.

Citylover

Post Number: 2547
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As good for how long mikie? Take a look at a five year old lexus and compare it to any american luxury_ the lexus will come out better every single time.The reason being qualiy of parts; lexus uses better parts. There is no way absolutely categorically no way the top of the line buick or any other american car compared to lexus.The price reflects that lexus costs a lot more.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3676
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the Chinese, driving a Buick or having PBR in the fridge are status symbols.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I see a Lexus or any foreign automobile on a flatbead being towed, I guess they are taking it to a carwash!

When I see a "Support our Troops" or an American flag on a Toyota or German or Chinese made auto I get livid. Remember what the Japanese and Germans did to our troops in WWII.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!