Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ehtnic Festival Series - What Happened? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember when there was a different ethnic festival happening every weekend in Hart Plaza? Vendors used to jam the upper AND lower concourses.
Now each one that remains, although popular, seems to suffer under poor promotion and their inability to use the media to get the word out. Why is this ?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Italians moved their event to Freedom Hill, maybe to be closer to their members, about 20 years ago.

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it started this year with the Hoedown like it always does. They still happen and the few I have been to were pretty crowded.

Downtown Hoedown
May 19 - May 21
Movement
Detroit's Electronic Music Festival
May 27 - 29
Freedom Festival Fireworks
June 28
Chaldean Festival
July 29 - 30
Ribs and Soul Festival
August 4 - 6
Caribbean International Festival
August 11 - 13
African World Festival
August 18 - 20
Festival of India
August 25 - 27 and the final one of the year and my favorite
Detroit International Jazz Festival
September 2 - 4

(Message edited by Trying_2_stay on August 12, 2007)

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 32nd Annual Mexican Festival will be in Downtown Pontiac Friday through Sunday, August 24-26, 1:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Admission $5 per person, $3 for seniors over 62, children Under 12 free. Come enjoy great music, dancing, crafts, food and more. This year's special guests is Stampede from Dallas/Fort Worth who will perform every night at 9:30 p.m.

http://www.pontiac.mi.us/pdf/2 007mexicanfestival.pdf

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What decisions were made to end individual festivals I don't know, but my analysis is...

-decreasing sense of safety. Despite what others have claimed on other threads there were numerous, documented instances of violence in the Plaza (Joann Was and the murder State Trooper were big news 15 and 20 years ago)

-"ethnics" moved out of Detroit, and so it became easier to to "play" locally rather than make the long drive downtown, especially to a city that was no longer home

-"ethnics" went native. The older generation faded and the youngsters were assimilated into the mainstream. Stamping to a polka may bring back fond childhood memories, but this has become decreasingly relevant to generations with no first-hand experience with the old country, DPs, etc.

My opinion: my tribe's festival was a blast, and although I understand why they ended I wish that they had not.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.