Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Jefferson-Chalmers Businesses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for the names of retail stores that used to line Jefferson between about Lakeview and Alter Road, back in the 1950's and 60's.

I remember on the west side, starting farthest south there was the Cinderella Theater, Flaming Embers BBQ, a small Sears store, Meyer Treasure Chest Jewelry, Jefferson Lanes Bowling Alley, Great Scot! Supermarket, Kinsel's Drugs, Cunningham Drugs, The Vanity, Fromm's Hardware, Bill's Bike Shop, Bank of the Commonwealth, Sutton's Drugs,Winkelmans(?), White Sun Chop Suey (still there), and near Alter A&P and Wilson and Wolfer Pharmacy.
On the East side, there were the Cinderella Barbershop and Cinderella Bar, Kresge's, Sanders, Gino's Pizzeria, Hiller's Mens Store, and Harry's Hobby Shop.
Anybody recall any others?

(Message edited by Newport1128 on August 13, 2007)

(Message edited by Newport1128 on August 13, 2007)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NBD was at Philip and Jeff. Kresges and Sanders were on the south side near Eastlawn(?)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say you already have a pretty good handle on the subject, Newport. Was Ned's Auto/Tire Supply a going concern back then? And was Sutton's Drugs the Rexall pharmacy? "Carload" Carlson TV was in there somewhere, maybe across from the Vanity.
I was still in B'ham in the 50's, but made it over here in the early 60's.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 560
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K. Magarian Oriental Rugs was located at 12876 E. Jefferson, near Conner. The business was established in 1899;but not at that location.

Mr. Magarian not gave me my introduction to fine oriental carpets; more importantly, he taught me my first lessons about the grand and tragic history of the Armenian people.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about the Esquire movie theater. Don't remember when it was built, but I did see it go. And also Moe's bait and tackle.

On a side note, it is unfortunate that most of those buildings are vacant, but the real tragedy is how just about all of them have great living spaces upstairs completely unused I would presume.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll have to ask my mom. she grew up on Ashland just west of Jefferson during that timeframe...

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Sherman's Shoes, I think across the street from the Cinderella. Newport Pharmacy (?) was on the corner of Newport & Jeff. I think there was a gas station on the corner of Eastlawn & Jeff.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a different geo perspective. I would have said that the White Sun, Winkleman's, the Vanity Ballroom etc. were on the North side of Jefferson and Mushro's, Sander's, Kresge's, etc. were on the South side. Isn't the River south of Jefferson pretty much all along that stretch? I could be wrong...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best I can do for you is the year 1967:

I clipped the edge off of one scan, leaving out Dot Discount Store Drugs, 14201 E Jefferson.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'll be damned, there is my Aunt Clara's old phone number VA1-5271.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was young and I didn't appreciate all that my world offered. Now I'd give anything to walk down that stretch of Jefferson in 1967 again. I'd be so thrilled with the people and the places. A sundae at Sanders, a new dress at Winkleman's, chop suey at the White sun - the first place I ever saw slowly circling ceiling fans outside of the movies. I'd stop in and check my little savings account at NBD. I'd buy my Dad a tie at Hiller's Menswear.

Mikem

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And then you'd get mugged after paying your Edison bill, like my mother did.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem: the St. Martin's Neighborhood Reunion is taking place on Saturday, September 8 at Memorial park in SCS. It doesn't appear that you went to St. Martin's, but lots of people came to the last one who didn't go to school there. More than 500 people came to the last one.

go to: geocities.com/stmartins65/sm65 for more information.

You could bring your books!

Newport1128

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, thanks so much! A lot of info and even more memories :-)

Mikem

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome.

SWmap, I'm working that day, but I can't imagine hanging around a reunion with no one that I know. I'm sure your a swell bunch though. Hope you have fun.

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a detroit bank and trust and a slatkin's jewelers in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonderful thread, thanks, everyone! I used to walk most of these blocks to school in the 50s and 60s, also sometimes walked on Kercheval, toward Alter. I worked at the Kresge's and at one of the shoe stores, can't remember its name now, and also worked one summer at Commonwealth Loan. ah, memories! I am lucky: I haven't seen how Jefferson looks now. I'm sure it would make me want to kill someone, from what I gather.

this is slightly off the topic, but so amusing: I have a pretty clear memory of a sign on Warren Ave., of a "Dr. Leonard P. Nutty, Psychiatrist"...LOL! does anyone remember that? I hope someone does and this memory doesn't turn out to be some sort of ... nutty imagining? LMAO...thanks again, everyone, esp. Mikem, for the trip down good old Jefferson.

I'm with you, southwestmap: to go back with more appreciation would be wonderful: oooh oooh what I wouldn't give for one of those Cream Puff Hot Fudge delights at Sanders, accompanied by the all important paper cone water cup.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson and Eastlawn had a Great Scott supermarket there. Plus the Chili Bowl was up in the area too

Newport1128

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret, I think Dr. Nutty was on Jefferson somewhere between Belle Isle and downtown, on the south (river) side. As a kid, I remember taking the Jefferson bus downtown with my mom and cracking up over the Dr. Nutty sign. I also used to see it on my way back and forth to Wayne State, again on the Jeff bus.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 790
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Nutty's office is on Mack, like at Balfour or something. Detroit side. You aren't dreaming. Haven't been there (the area, not the office, ha ha ha) in two years, so I don't know if he still practices.

LOL, Margaret! I've always thought the same thing! What a fitting name, and I would always thing, "how does he stay in business, who would go to a psychologist named Nutty?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.