Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Downtown Property Owners Letting Penske Down « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning as I drove to work on Fort St. I noticed that the Free Press entrance to the Detroit Newspapers Building was filthy. Papers and debris and food strewn. Does no one pick up on weekends? Also, the Post office is always pretty bad. I think a main post office building should be a showplace - but Detroit's is shabby and dirty. I have a power washer and I use it. Why can't the Post office?

Recently I went in to the Comerica Bank on Fort to tell the manager that someone had dropped red slime on the sidewalk days previously and maybe Comerica should clean it up. He said he would get right on it, but a week later it was still there.

Any others belong in the easily-remedied (water and elbow grease)Hall of Shame? Does Penske has to do all the heavy lifting?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly the same thing, but it wouldn't have taken much to do something about the graffiti on the 1225 building... they could have just painted over it since the building is vacant anyway...

I know they're probably just going to wait until the renovation starts though

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really sad, and indicative of a greater level of apathy. Every morning here in DC (and sometimes in the afternoon), tenants are always out on the sidewalks with a garden hose to spray the walks down and pick up trash. It doesn't matter if it's a small shopkeeper, restaurant owner, or custodial staff of a large office buildings--people keep the sidewalks and entries clean.

This is another instance where a downtown BID would be beneficial. But I suppose that's too easy of a solution.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't they pay a fee to have Penske's team (or somebody) clean it? If you go to Times Square or some other heavy traffic district in NYC there are usually workers out there doing constant maintenance around the clock... and overnight they usually power wash the sidewalks. The business owners in the district pay a fee for that.

(Message edited by iheartthed on August 13, 2007)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus,the graffiti on 1225 have been taken care of and a new banner announcing the project is draped over the building

Southwestmap

Post Number: 877
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Penske's group wouldn't have to do so much if the owners did more on their own. I believe that soem businesses are contributing to Penske's effort, but money would go a lot farther if the owners were more proactive. A cleaner city is pretty important to our future.

By the way, I have worked downtown for 20 years and I've never seen sidewalks being powerwashed until Penske got on the job.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^well that's good....sure seems like it was there for a very long time though...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hosing down sidewalks has never been a tradition in Detroit like it is in other cities

not to mention it's a MAJOR waste of water

sweep and be done with it

Southwestmap

Post Number: 879
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually have a water broom. I understand that they are mandated in California and other arid regions. I think they are actually an efficient use of water for cleaning. And, the homeless urinate all around downtown. Sweeping is not a good choice.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus sweeping does nothing to gum that has been walked over 10,000 times on a 90 degree day...

Southwestmap

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once had a next door neighbor who hosed down her porch and sidewalks and gutter very early in the morning on hot days. I carry on the tradition because it was so refreshing to step outside, and see the fresh clean street and feel the cool ions. She was from the south, so maybe she learned this at home. She is why I bought my Watermiser Broom, sending all the way to California for it.

I just wish the downtown landlords would try to be more supportive of Penske's grand dream.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stepped in what appeared to be human feces on the sidewalk near that burned out AAA building. How do I know it was human feces? Dogs don't eat corn.

In any event, a BID would certainly help get these reluctant property owners in line to keep their property and surrounding environs in better shape, that's for sure. Bring back the BID, particularly on Bagley and nearby streets radiating off of Grand Circus Parque.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5080
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keeping Detroit clean is worth the waste of water... around here it's not as though it's in short supply! :-)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 763
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink (or however it goes, lol).

And this is the last year for Penske's clean downtown program, isn't it? I hope downtown doens't turn into a landfill again.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The program was supposed to be a catalyst for a BID program. From Next Detroit's web site:

"The Clean Downtown initiative will build toward the creation of a Business Improvement District (BID). A BID allows property owners to assess themselves for services and amenities that they select and manage. A BID helps enhance regular city services."

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP! Hose down those sidewalks, Detroit building owners. And that goes for you too, St. Anthony of Bagley.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdWorldCity--I seem to recall you saying you were a property owner downtown. If so, do you power wash your sidewalks or do you wait for Roger Penske to come and do it?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5098
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO.... as usual, Detroitrulez is stepping into other peoples shit again... :-)

Detroitrulez, when you bring your smartass tone to this forum, I wouldn't expect too many replies or respect. The only thing you can expect (as in the case of where you stepped).. is Karma...

(Message edited by Gistok on August 14, 2007)

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, well if I spy a couple of 1x2 yellow and red plastic bricks studding the surface of scattered sidewalk piles after Saturday's theater tour I'll know who to blame.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what would do a LOT to improve the trash on the street situation downtown? If people who come down to Tigers games and other events from the suburbs wouldn't treat Detroit like their garbage can.

GUARANTEED the next morning after a game day there is trash all over the place downtown. Plastic cups, beer bottles, takeout food containers, the occasional lost clothing ... The club situation is similar, although usually it's only a million trashy fliers for other club nights littering the streets.

It wouldn't bother me quite as much if people from the suburbs weren't always complaining about how Detroit is such a dirty city.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it has a lot to do with attitude.

This morning as I was out walking past the Church's Chicken at Woodward and Forest, I witnessed a massive flock of seagulls and other birds in the sky and on the ground. Something was up, so I looked onto the property and someone in the back of the parking lot was completely emptying the dumpster of all of its contents...particularly the food and just dumping it on the ground.

I didn't go and confront the person, but this really pissed me off as the employees of the restaurant just sat inside looking at all the spaztic birds. It may seem petty, but it's also kind of a cleanliness issue that I don't want in my neighborhood.

So upon arriving at my apartment a few blocks away, low and behold there were a bunch of birds in the parking lot fighting over a biscuit. More angered, I picked up the trashed food and slammed it into the dumpster.

Downtown should have a new motto: Higher standards...lower tolerance.

What the hell was the point in emptying the dumpster in the first place? Maybe eventually all that crap will work its way down Woodward and settle north of Campus Martius.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My pet peeve is all the trash that appears outside the nightclubs. Owners should insist that the sidewalks are swept before the door is locked for the night.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 888
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Rancho Mexican Restaurant is a nice oasis - bright and clean. However, one evening, eating late, we watched a waitress sweep the entire floor of the restaurant, sweeping the little lobby last and then open the door on West Vernor and sweep the entire pile of debris onto the street. I continue to be amazed at this. I mean to write a note about it someday.

Maybe the owner of El Rancho is contributing to the West Vernor cleaning fund (which is very effective) but he has to do his own part too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.