Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Woodbridge Gunshots » Archive through August 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night, Sunday August 12th, around 2 am, I awoke to about 12 or 15 loud bursts, sounded like definite gun shots. Did anyone else hear this?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it was not Supersport getting mad at the dawgs for tearing up the tomato patch...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I can say that this has never happened in my neighborhood. What a strange thing that would be to wake up to.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah; strange how different places are...different. thanks for pointing that out. [sarcasm]

(Message edited by rsa on August 13, 2007)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3942
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Those aren't gunshots, those are kisses".
-Manuel Noriega, 1989

Thejesus

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"thanks for pointing that out."

yw

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my god! Gunshots? In a residential neighborhood? Holy shit! That's so weird.

(Translation: Living around all those black people sounds DANGEROUS!)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While Thejesus' initial post was a little on the smug side, Detroitnerd wins the GIRIT (Gratuitous Injection of Race Into a Thread) award here.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe illegal fireworks? people launch those off near my apartment and they sound alot like guns, cause they're big ass fireworks.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Living around all those black people sounds DANGEROUS!"

Actually, I think living around people who fire guns in a residential neighborhood sounds dangerous. I don't really see how a person's skin color makes a bullet hitting your house any more or less dangerous. Perhaps you could explain that part to the rest of us.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still trying to figure out how he got a racial comment out of "that never happens around here"

I took Thejesus's statement as - I live in another part of the city and I've never encountered that.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took Thejesus's statement as - I live in another part of the city and I've never encountered that.

You must not pay attention to his comments too much then...

Thejesus

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^it's because I live in Northville and grew up in Livonia, so anything I say is automatically considered Detroit-bashing and anti-black people

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Thejesus, it's because you're an ignorant suburbanite who consistently takes a confrontational approach to on-forum city-boosting. After decades of seeing people use code words about race (property values, crime, good schools, quality of life, etc.), I am now able to read the code. "Gunshots and hoodlums and crime, OH MY!"

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[reponse to post below this]If you didn't provide the material, I'd have nothing to work with......

(Message edited by iheartthed on August 13, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea, and Iheartthed is one of the worst offenders...

Remember the martial law thread?

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/102215.html

Thejesus

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd:

Congrats on being able to read codespeak. Except you are dead wrong in this case, which means you're likely wrong a lot of other times when you think people are being racist.

A good way to test yourself is to ask if there's any possible way a person could have spoken the truth in a particular instance without your gut reaction being that the person is saying something racist. If not, then it's probably just all in your head. Good luck to you.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I've learned about racism: People don't cop to it. They act it out. They shut their mouths in public and only talk about it in barber shops and bars. Sorry, Thejesus, protest all you want, but until you start showing a bit more enlightenment in general, your enlightenment in this particular area will be in question.

Oh, and very good luck to you, little guy. Growing up hurts sometimes.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did anyone else here them or no?

Is this really going to be another racial thread?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 560
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amen vas.

I think that out the past 19 posts there have been two actually replying to my original question.

lol

Thejesus

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is this really going to be another racial thread?"

As long as Detroitnerd and Iheartthed continue to post in it, then you can bet your life on it.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheJesus you seem to constantly make low blow comments about the city. Yes Northville, and Livonia are safer, I live in the burbs also (not by choice mind you) and Im glad you enjoy living where you live. I also understand that alot of suburb bashing goes on here. Why bother really though? This is a person who lives in Woodbridge (a pretty nice neighborhood where many of my friends live and where i sleep on a couch several nights a week at a friends house) people in neighborhoods in cities seem to like to know their neighbors and whats going on in there little nook. This is a big reason people move to cities, for a sense of community. They know their neighbors and they get the weekly monthly neighborhood newsletter, they have meet great people at neighborhood watering holes. in my 21 years of experience in suburbia the homeowners association hardly cuts it as neighborhood unity, its more likely just people to pay to make sure your snow gets plowed. I also understand peoples love of the suburbs, quiet, convenient, truly the "american dream" but why bother with your comments (constantly) in a forum where people are discussing life in the city. It seems to be a waste of time and breath. Pehaps there is a northville forum, this isnt me being a jerk but rather just suggesting if your heart isnt in the city and you love where you live, spend more time contributing positively to your city instead of boasting to people who dont live there how great it is.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this should just be a thread about how you hear gunshots in Detroit and not in the suburbs.

Nothing racial about that at all.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so i'd like to know about these gunshots since i'm a resident

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny, in the WDET interview, Lowell was asked if any arguments ever get out of control. He said sometimes, on issues like race, or when people bash the city on a site filled with people who love the city. Then this thread appears!

Thejesus

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Except I wasn't bashing the city, and this thread has nothing to do with race. My genuine sentiment when I read the original post was how strange it would be to wake up in the middle of the night to gun shots, as nothing like that ever happens in my neighborhood.

Guess I should have expected the silly reaction I got though with the likes of Detroitnerd and Iheartthed lurking around...

(Message edited by thejesus on August 13, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just shut up, you are wasting space

Thejesus

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mdoyle:

I like Northville and Detroit both. I don't see myself living here in Northville forever but could see myself in Detroit sometime in the next 5 years

I realize that Woodbridge is a pretty good neighborhood, which makes this occurrence an even bigger deal.

People need to settle the fuck down and stop reading things in posts that simply are not there. See the link to the martial law thread I posted above for a classic example of this

Thejesus

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"just shut up, you are wasting space"

Just kill yourself, you are wasting carbon.

asshole

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, all those potential new visitors who heard the interview are coming and seeing this thread first.