Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Public Schools wins go-ahead on school closings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crains
Username: Crains

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Public Schools can proceed this fall with a school consolidation and realignment plan, after a Wayne County Circuit Court judge dismissed a civil action Friday by a group seeking to intervene.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0813/SUB/708130359

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6339
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY CLAP CLAP!!!

Close more schools, increase class sizes and more student flight to those EVIL charter schools looms.

Can you handle up to 50 students in a classroom, Detroitteacher?

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many schools are redistricting and cramming classes even in affluent suburbs thanks to state funding cuts. I've met many intelligent, dedicated, city teachers; I feel for them.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could DPS realistically not go through with the closings at this point? Administrators and teachers have been reassigned. Furniture and supplies from closing schools are making their way to the consolidated schools. Having to reopen closed schools at this point would be futile. If those filing the lawsuit had behaved themselves at the first hearing, maybe there would have been time to halt some of the closings. Too bad BAMN thinks being loud and rude is the way to be heard. It didn't work for them here.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now, on my rosters, I have 65+ (I stopped counting) in each class. They haven't even set which teachers are teaching which classes. We don't even know which teachers will be following their kids. They have told us nothing other than to expect 75 kids in a class. Don't know what I can do with 75 kids (no seats, not enough room for that many seats). Our building has seen NONE of the books and supplies/desks, etc from closing schools. There were still books/desks and such at Cass but DPS said that all schools were stocked. Don't know where they got that info because I STILL had to go purchase chairs and bring them from home. Not enough books for each kid, I had a class set of 35 and I had 50 kids in my classes...

While the closings are needed, it could have been more organized long before the last school year was over. I can't do any planning at this point because they told me no one knows what I'll be teaching!

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one wants closed schools. However the fact is Detroit has way less people now then before, which means less students.
The only thing to do is close schools, because the city is smaller now.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 900
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit...God Bless you guys....I wish I could say keep the faith....hope you don't lose hope...from your previous posts I know you are a good teacher and person.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3730
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DT: Having a class roster of x students doesn't imply that x students attend class on a daily average. Knowing that absenteeism is fairly high at DPS, what are the average class attendance rates for your classes? Whereas DPS doesn't seem to assess its graduation rate very well, it does keep daily attendance records of all classes (assuming that recording this metric is adequately kept).

The attendance as the school term progresses should also decrease from what the initial roster size was at the start. This, of course, is expected due to more and more kids dropping out throughout the term.

Some DPS school marms say that the high-school truancy rate is often higher than 50%, on a daily average. So a roster size of 65 at DPS is more like a typical class size of 32 or so in the burbs where much fewer kids drop out.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3944
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, The most reliable picture can usually be painted by folks who are actually there, rather than knowitall members of sick cults, posting from their holes in the ground, from which they are endlessly describing places that they have never visited and people that they have never met.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where the hell does LY get these stats from? I was a DPS student 4 years ago and more than half of our approx. 30+ students enrolled in a classroom attended class regularly. In fact that is probably a higher percentage than classes here at MSU.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Too bad BAMN thinks being loud and rude is the way to be heard. It didn't work for them here."

Yeah, remember the footage of that woman throwing things at the School Board? That was something else I tell ya. I wonder if her children saw the footage?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3731
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am impressed that more than 1/2 of the kids in some poster's DPS classes regularly attended class--NOT! And then implies that DPS attendance is higher than MSU's...

One of the four high schools--La Follette--in Madison WI (comparable to a much larger Ann Arbor) had a daily truancy rate of around 35% for decades (at least back to the 1980s). Madison's school system is a polar extreme when compared to DPS. High truancy rates at US public high schools are not uncommon.

DT continues to regale us at DY with yet another of her Perils of Pauline episodes. The latest episode keys on the extraordinary class size at DPS:
quote:

Right now, on my rosters, I have 65+ (I stopped counting) in each class. They haven't even set which teachers are teaching which classes. We don't even know which teachers will be following their kids. They have told us nothing other than to expect 75 kids in a class. Don't know what I can do with 75 kids (no seats, not enough room for that many seats).

Other episodes dealt with the high degree of absenteeism in her own classes at her NW Detroit school. Confer the DY archives for reruns...

Applying a bit of common sense here: It would be advantageous in a scarce economical environment facing Detroit and DPS to sensibly allocate its limited resources in such a way so that there are enough to go around for the entire district.

I would strongly doubt that the number of kids at DPS initially assigned (rostered) to classes would regularly attend classes, especially as the school year drones on and the inevitable truancies and eventual dropouts materialize. However, there will be times when attendance will be higher for a short time--such as when DPS will be giving away free iPods and such on a lottery basis in order to lure kids to attend on those days when they count their kids for state of Michigan reporting purposes.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on August 14, 2007)

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I have an idea since Livernois has all the answers why don't you run for school board and see what a difference you can make instead of bashing DPS and the teachers and students that attend there.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY: I have repeatedly said that I have very few absent students on a regular basis. The figure is nowhere near the 50 % you claim. What difference does it make what the absentee rate is? 65+ kids in my classes isn't helping the kids out (considering that I have a high population of kids in Special Ed in my Gen Ed classes).

LY, you have all the answers and find my posts bothersome. At least I am in the trenches AND I live in Michigan, can you say the same thing? Show us PROOF that you have FIRST hand knowledge of what goes on at MY school and in MY classes (other than from my posts) and then I'll listen to your blather.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3733
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said... Just what is the daily average attendance at DPS classes? Nowhere near 50, 60, or so... Records are kept on individual class attendance. So, determining that is an easy task using the records.

DPS employees have engaged in obfuscation of obvious facts in the past, so it probably still continues.

Case in point: Back only a few years ago when DPS had two 1/2 day kindergartens instead of full-day sessions as now, the teachers' union there at DPS would "lie" about the student/teacher ratios there by adding the kids from the morning kindergarten to those from the afternoon session and then dividing that sum by the number of teachers. They had the audacity to state that those student/teacher ratios were around 60 or 70 to one. What utter bull shit!

Either that is faulty DPS-like math or simply engaging in fiction when it reports that to the public. [No doubt, some gullible Detroiters bought that nonsense every time the union spread that particular lie.]

Now, I suppose we're now going to subjected to hearing about tales of woe emanating from those at DPS predicting class sizes of 65 or 75. Yeah! Sure...

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on August 14, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy geez. Think I'm going to have to go with the Detroit schoolteacher when it comes to deciding who might know more about teaching in Detroit schools.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY: then skip my posts....PLEASE!

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,
I commend you and all my friends that are DPS teachers. You do have overcrowded classrooms I have seen it first hand with my children being in DPS. But after trying the charter schools I'd rather have mine attend DPS while we all work together to fix the system. To hell with what LY and the media have to say about dropout rate or absences, only we know what goes on in our schools.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.