Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Buick ties Lexus for #1 spot » Archive through August 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that maybe you will see a Lexus on a flatbed sometimes, don't get me wrong it's a great car, but not infallible, same goes for the domestics.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum s/load/cars/msg0221141422202.h tml

(Message edited by Mikie on August 10, 2007)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When I see a "Support our Troops" or an American flag on a Toyota or German or Chinese made auto I get livid. Remember what the Japanese and Germans did to our troops in WWII.

And what we did to theirs and their civilians.

Funny you should bring that up today. Since yesterday was so important.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2548
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats nothing Mikie just have a look at any number of lexus forums sometime.............lots of complaints........still the best production luxury car mae however

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When I see a "Support our Troops" or an American flag on a Toyota or German or Chinese made auto I get livid. Remember what the Japanese and Germans did to our troops in WWII."

Yes, and as someone with a sliver of German ancestry, I'm still incensed over what Napoleon did to the Prussians at Jena in 1806. The result of the Battle of Sedan in 1870 isn't nearly enough revenge for me. I still refuse to buy anything French and will not eat French fries.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican said:

quote:

When I see a "Support our Troops" or an American flag on a Toyota or German or Chinese made auto I get livid. Remember what the Japanese and Germans did to our troops in WWII

I gather that you would really hate to see me driving along in my Mazda with my U.S. Marine Corps veteran license plate. And I guess I shouldn't be in your vicinity when I get out of that foreign car wearing my POW bracelet!

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
WHAT I DRIVE, GETS ME TO WORK!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on, Dannaroo.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Take a look at a five year old lexus and compare it to any American luxury_ the lexus will come out better every single time.

I don't know about that. I really like the Lexus, and been very impressed by every one I've been in. But my parents bought a '03 Cadillac STS a few years ago...and I'd say it's a pretty sweet car. (I was also very impressed with the luxury of the '04 Lincoln Aviator I test drove last year. VERY comfy leather.)

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1950, my wife was employed at the Chrysler plant on Mound Rd. and Nine Mile road. When I went to pick her up on her first day, the gate guard would not let me into the regular parking area because I was driving a Chevy! I had to wait outside on the shoulder of the road. At the time I thought, "What a stupid ass attitude to have." Later, with a few years of maturity, I endorsed that philosophy." For goodness sakes, if your livelihood depends on the company you are working for, why would you not support their product? All this crap about superiority of one car over the other, is just that, crap. In 1973, I bought a new Chevy Blazer and a new Chevy Nova.
We were moving to the Upper Peninsula at that time.
I drove the Nova for 130,000 miles. I spent 100 bucks on the front end suspension. I kept the Blazer until 1993, that's right, for 20 years. The tailgate door had rusted off of its hinges. The rocker panels had long disappeared. The universal joints were replaced. I used it for hauling fire wood and in the winter when the snow was a problem. It never once failed me. OOOps, wait a minute. I did have to stop once and pick up that tailgate door. For all the nay sayers, I would say this. "Stop looking for the Forest. Just concentrate on the trees."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I gather that you would really hate to see me driving along in my Mazda with my U.S. Marine Corps veteran license plate. And I guess I shouldn't be in your vicinity when I get out of that foreign car wearing my POW bracelet! "

Actually Mazda is about 33% owned by Ford.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I gather that you would really hate to see me driving along in my Mazda with my U.S. Marine Corps veteran license plate. And I guess I shouldn't be in your vicinity when I get out of that foreign car wearing my POW bracelet!

WHAT I DRIVE, GETS ME TO WORK!"

Especially livid! Proud marine, license plate to let people know that you served America, and put it on a rice burner, POW bracelet...yep, I'd be upset seeing that. Let's face it, you fought for the right to live in this country free, to buy what you want. So did many others who didn't come home.
Thank God you have that right. I just go one step further and try to support my country, my City, my future by buying American whenever I can.

DRIVING AN AMERICAN CAR WILL GET YOU TO WORK!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shocking.

"CityLover" not only helped perpetuate the drug problem in Detroit with no apologies but is also helping perpetuate the anti-Detroit car problem.

"enclave" must refer to the mental enclave available in a far suburb.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11655
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lexus may be known for quality inside and out, but they are about the plainest looking luxury cars on the road, bar none. Hell, to me they look the same as any run of the mill Nissan, Honda, or Hyandai.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news!

Now if we could work on the styling.

The Enclave is a great start, and if I were in the market of buying a vehicle, I would get the Enclave.

<313>

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to a tow truck driver once. He said his company always tows rendeszvous (SIC, I know) because of problems,its a junk model, but thats the lone exception. the rest of the Buick line Is pretty solid. I figure he'd halfways know.

And just remember-those "rice burners' nowadays are built in this country by US citizens. And vice-versa. The Chevy Aveo is built in Korea. The Ford Aspire was too. And what about cars built in Canada? same cars,Same continent, BUT... different country.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only a portion of the rice burners are built here, Hgrmin, they use mostly Japanese suppliers (notice how many of our Detroit-based suppliers have gone out of business?) and the profits go back to Tokyo.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, a Lexus is just a nicely dressed Toyota. The Buick Lucerne V8 is fun to drive, save for the front-wheel drive. Trying to drive a V8 with FWD just cuts down the fun factor. And a lot of these new luxury cars have so many damn useless gadgets it looks like the cockpit of a 747. Keep It Simple Stupid!

/drives a Jeep, not in the market for anything new

Buyamerican

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln, you are correct about the rice burners being built in this country, however, you neglect to go further with your statement. None of the profits from these foreign automakers stay in the U.S. There are no retirement benefits for American workers.
US automakers employ 8 out of 10 autoworkers in the US.
GM employs more Americans than all major foreign automakers combined. (Remember the big GM logo on top of the RenCen?)
The American auto industry is responsible for 1 out of 10 jobs in the US.
Even with the recent cutbacks, US automakers employ 3 times more Americans than all foreign automakers in the US.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for those statistics, BA. Hopefully faced with some hard facts, some of these people buying foreign because they like the shape of the headlights on a Civic will think about how their way of life and communities suffer each time they choose to give thousands of dollars to Japan instead of their fellow Americans.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, thank you as well.
Too many Americans are fooled by a "perceived" notion that foreign is better. Why, I don't know. America builds fine automobiles and Americans should be loyal and keep our factories running by purchasing American cars. There certainly is a trickle down effect as well. The small industries throughout the U.S. that close up because the auto industry is dwindling is staggering.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge's Cobalt, built in Lordstown Ohio, drives America.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05326/610378.stm

"Workers at General Motors' Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant can thank the hot-selling Cobalt for their jobs -- the sprawling facility that once made the infamous Vega and was featured on CBS' "60 Minutes" for tough labor relations is on cruise control these days.

That's because the complex, which employs 6,000 and is about 60 miles west of Pittsburgh, is pumping out Chevrolet's early success story, the Cobalt, which replaced the tired Cavalier this year.

The Cobalt is the nation's third best-selling premium compact car, trailing only the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla and representing 9.2 percent of all sales in the segment this year."

Citylover

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting observation sport. I would think you have double the scorn for the many american cars these days including the luxury models as they are nothing more than imitations of lexuses; especially the Lucerne and several Lincolns. But of course without the Lexus quality
To whomever said lexus is a dressed up toyota that is true.......for certain models.But the made in japan lexus the 400, 430 and now 460 are most definitely not gussied up toyota's.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, what City is it that you love?
What does Lexus do for Detroit? What does Toyota do for Detroit?

8 out of 10 jobs with foreign auto manufacturers in the U.S. are in sales - not assembly lines, headquarters or research labs.

783,000 Americans work at auto plant suppliers - Ford, GM and Chrysler purchased more than 80% of the parts these workers make.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 691
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, how exactly is the lucerne an imitation Lexus?

And how can you say "But of course without the Lexus quality" when the very topic this thread is About is that it DOES have the same quality? You ASSUME Lexus has better quality because it is foreign. You spout off assumptions about door knobs falling off and such, but have no FACTS to back up your claims. The only facts that have been produced here - the very thing that started this thread - show that Buick is just as good as Lexus.

I'm glad that more foreign automakers are building plants in America, and I'm glad Toyota is investing in R&D in Michigan. But that doesn't mean that a foreign car is what's best for America either.

Citylover

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just look at the interior of a Lucerne and you will see the resemblance.Look at some of the sportier lincolns they are a direct response to lexus and other sportier foreign hig end cars.

As I said before come back with a five to ten yr old buick and compare the repair , reliablity and interior reliabilty to lexus_ it won't compare.....but then barely any car does.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a Japanese-name vehicle, then a big 3 car. The interior of the American car had inferior plastic inside that was already falling apart when I bought it (used). The Japanese car was older, higher mileage, and more intact inside. It was my American car in which EVERY piece cracked and split open on its own. The engine was great. The inside self-destructed. I sat at a red light and a trim panel dropped from above the door, out of nowhere.
NEVER happenned with the Japanese car.
And that, my friends, is why people perceive japanese quality to be better.

Scottr

Post Number: 692
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL, since i spent a year and a half building the dashboard of the Lucerne, I have a pretty good idea of what they look like inside and out - and about the only similarity between the two is the same basic layout that ANY vehicle has (like the cluster above the steering column, the center stack containing the stereo/nav and HVAC units). Oh, and maybe the woodtrim, but that's been a design feature of lux and near-lux vehicles for years, hardly a Lexus exclusive.

Lexus is hardly 'sporty' by any stretch. maybe the IS, but the others are far from it. So that comparison is absolutely ridiculous.

Funny, i bet when the initial quality survey came out, you said something along the lines of 'how about when it's three or four years old?'. You can keep that BS up forever, and for the next few years, you'll win - cause even GM fans admit that the quality was shitty for years. But now when they meet or beat the japanese, you just point out the older vehicles.

I would be interested in seeing a 10 year reliability test. If you aren't proven wrong now, i bet you will be in the near future. And i can't wait to see what excuse you come up with then.

Hpgrmln, what vehicles are you comparing? what years? your anecdote means nothing without that info. For all we know you're comparing a Lexus with a Chevette. Not to mention, who knows how the person before you treated it - which can make a big difference, believe it or not.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Scottr. A poor comparison between unnamed Japanese car and unnamed American car. Maybe the American car was an AMC. He does have grmln in his name, after all.

Scottr

Post Number: 693
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might be. I can't list all the things that fell apart on my 82 Eagle. Seriously, there were things under the hood that went nowhere. I have no idea how that thing kept running. And the interior, well, that's a whole chapter in itself. But I loved that car more than any car I've owned since...

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 583
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me tell you all something. I pick what I drive by quality. Every time my keys go into my Lexus, that bitch turns. And it drives like it's driving on air. If something happens where it is not working properly, Lexus bends over backwards to get it right. I bought American, been there done that. They treated me like shit. When my shit wasn't working properly, they didn't give two shits.

So don't give me that crap about buying American. I had several american vehicles...always treated me like shit. If you want someone to be loyal and buy American, then act like you got some common sense about customer service. I'm not going to spend my hard earned money just to say that I am being loyal to America...to be treated like shit, or buy a piece of shit car. That sounds idiotic.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, unfortunately yours is the typical response for someone looking for an excuse to buy foreign. There is nothing wrong with American cars or American dealers. Foreign dealerships have had some major problems with customer care (or lack of it) and when something goes wrong with your foreign "bitch", getting parts to repair or replace sometimes takes months. You really believe that American autos aren't quality? My American automobile dealership bends over backwards to make sure I am happy with service and quality. Every car I've purchased since the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's has been a quality American car. I've never been stranded on the side of the road with any of them. I hope that your job doesn't depend on the American auto industry in any way. Remember, no matter what type of employment you are in, especially in Michigan, the auto industry's decline because of people like you has a definite trickle down effect. It you are a contractor, building homes, you have problems because those auto workers who were once building new homes or remodeling their older homes no longer think that is a priority in their lives. Physicians feel the pinch because health care is going by the wayside and people are not as quick to run to the doctor with a problem. Little Mom and Pop restaurants near auto plants close up. There are many, many, many ramifications from not supporting American Bratt. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
OUT OF A JOB YET...KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!