Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Malt Shops « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malt shops in Detroit in the 1950's Do any names come to mind? I remember one on the corner of 6 mile Rd. and Greenlawn, across from Muncey Chevrolet.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Royals on west side of Van Dyke south of 6 mile (McNichols).
Several Alinosi places.
Cunningham's on 7 mile and Van Dyke.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Senate Sweet Shop was on Michigan ave between the Senate theatre and the Senate Coney Island.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid my parents used to talk about Alinosi's. We would go to the one on Kelly. I think it was near ten mile. I preferred the baskin Robbins on Morang in Detroit. Was Alinosi's originally a malt shop?

The only malt shop I can remember are the Sanders shops.. I used to go to the one in Eastland and the one in Grosse Pointe. I can't believe they ever closed the GP one.

Friendly's might be the last of the modern malt shops. They pulled out of Michigan but are in several other states.

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 13, 2007)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civic center Sanders

Baskin Robbins..I remember when they opened..we thought we were propelled into the modern era....29 cent cones....

I also remember when the corner of Lansdown and Whitter had a Icey?Freeze...what ever the name we would get the large and it would freeze our brains,,, now I know what happened to me....permanent frost bite ,,,, :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tower Sweet Shop was a west side staple. It began in a store attached to the Tower Theatre, Grand River at Steel, when the theatre opened in 1937. About 1949 or so, the theatre opened its own refreshment stand in the lobby so refused to renew the lease for the Sweet Shop. So George, the owner, (wish I knew his last name), had a store built right across the street from the theatre and continued doing a bang-bang business. Had the usual Wurlitzer neon juke box with the 78-rpm records right until the end, around 1959 or so.

Over by Cooley HS on Fenkell we had "Z's", which featured Zodas, Zundaes, and Zandwiches. At Mackenzie HS we had the Flying Saucer Grill, and also Jerry's, next door, which was more a guys kind of place.

Not too far from Jjaba's haunts we had the Al Pisa Drug Store and soda fountain. It was on the northeast corner of Meyers and Schoolcraft. I dated a gal who worked the fountain. Lord, she was a sweetie.
But all young gals were back then, and none of them had tattoos.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on August 13, 2007)

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Dandy, on Livernois north of Michigan Ave. The building and neon sign was really cool too. It would be great to see, if anyone had a photo of it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5085
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage, are you referring to the Sanders at the 7/Mack Shopping Center? They closed all the remaining Mack/Moross stores when St. John purchased the center, demolised it and rebuilt it as Pointe Plaza. Around the same time Sanders was closing all their stores.

Isn't there now a new Sanders in the Village in Grosse Pointe Park?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders north of 7 Mile, on Gratiot, I think the corner of Anvil...?

As I was east of Gratiot, the streets west of, I never felt the need to learn...

I used to boast "Proud Far East Side!!!"

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jupiter drive-in on Gratiot just south of Stephens (9 1/2 mile) had decent malts.

Cunninghams on the Northwest corner of Seven and Gratiot.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody even drink malts anymore ? Does anybody now even know what malted milk IS ? I love the stuff.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also an Alinosi's on McNichols (6 Mile) West of Gratiot

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paradise Candies on W. Vernor at Springwells!!! There was a coney just a few doors down. Life was good!!

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is indeed a Sanders in the Village. It's basically a retail shop for Sanders sweet stuff. I does have a small soda counter. It doesn't have a full lunch counter or the bakery section.

There was an Alinosi's on E. Warren and Kensington in EEV. There is still one on Mack about half way between 7 & 8 mile. I blanking on the cross street right now.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woolworth's on Plymouth Road, west of Evergreen. Those chocolate malts made me what I am today: under-tall for my weight and lactose intolerant!

Mauser765, from Wikipedia:
Malted milk is malted barley, wheat flour, and whole milk, evaporated into a powder.

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a full fountain service at our drug store in Detroit for YEARS!
We also had one of the first frozen coke machines in the state when they started up.
The fountain closed before I was born but they still had soda, hot dogs and things like that till the early 80's
Our store opened in the 30's and my father still owns the pharmacy (sold the rest of the store in the 80's) It is Sams Drugs on Fenkell and Ardmore.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O'Brien's drug store on 7 mile and Braile was at the end of my street--I remember the soda jerk kid seemed like an old guy to me when I was a pre-schooler. They tore out the soda fountain in about '66, I remember the counter and soda-heads dumped out back of the store before being carted away.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jyogi, I remember Sam's Drugs very well. Had to walk past it on my way to Cooley. I think that's the 1st place I had a chocolate Coke. Our house was Fenkell and Ward Av(btwn Schaeffer & Meyers). I also remember the Eagle Dairy (Fenkell btwn Ward & Cheyenne). Great banana splits! I dont remember the drug store closest to the house, Bond Drugs(Fenkell and Sorrento) having a fountain service. I do remember a burger joint on the South side of Fenkell next to the movie theater called Chris's. Juke box & burgers at lunchtime instead of school cafeteria.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow_ all these thread and not one mention of the article in the MT's a while back about Alinosi's.

According to the article Alinosi's supplies many higer end restaurtants all over the country with spumonti.

More relevant to this thread is that the store in Detroit(gratiot/mcnichols?) is completely intact.No one could know that because it is completely sealed. But once inside it is as it has aways been.The owners are hoping the neighborhood someday becomes safe enough(that god damned crime thing again) to reopen to the public.

I am sure someone can find it in the MT's archives.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 904
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Kreesge's at the civic center also have a soda fountain?

Jyogi

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditman...
My father still goes there 4 days a week.
His father started the store and my dad still carrys on the tradition....

It is still there but boy has it changed since we sold it in the early 80's....

Ray1936

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That favorite soda fountain of mine -- Al Pisa's, at Meyers and Schoolcraft -- also sold magazines. I remember in 1954 a lot of flap about a new magazine coming out, and I finally saw the first issues in that place. Beautiful photo of Yankee Stadium during a night game.

A thought crossed my mind. I should buy all those magazines and put them away just in case they are worth something some day. But I didn't.

Magazine was the first issue of Sports Illustrated. A mint copy is worth a mint today.

(You thought I was going to say Playboy, didn't you???) :-)

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Alinosi's ice cream in an old style Ice Cream parlor try:

Sara's Sweet's
(313) 881-2888
20737 Mack Ave, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

just North of Vernier.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamlin's Drug Store near Pelham and Outer Drive in Dearborn had a very small 6-8 stool soda fountain in the back of the store. Greeting cards in the front, pharmacy window at the back, one side was the soda fountain and across that was the store's main cash register where you could pay for your purchases, get money orders, etc.

For 8 cents, you could get a cherry coke at the soda fountain. They made malts and shakes, floats and sundaes. You could get a bowl of soup or a sandwich from a short menu.

The dance school a couple of doors down helped make sure that place was busy. It was a great spot serving the neighborhood.

Anyone else remember Hamlin's?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody even drink malts anymore ? Does anybody now even know what malted milk IS ? I love the stuff.
------------------------------ --------------

I LOVE malts and get one from Dons Drive-In whenever we are in TC, about once every 3 months or so. I believe there is a Dons downstate too, Novi, maybe? Anyway, his malts are THE BEST. I refuse to drink a shake, its only malts for me.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At certain times of the year, Jack in the Box has a raspberry malt that is to die for.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jyogi, Did your family own the Sam's on W.Warren?

Jyogi

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sorry...
We owned the Cruise Pharmacy at Fenkell and Cruise and then closed it to open Sams Drugs at Fenkell and Ardmore

Jack N The Box... YUMMM!! When I was a kid there was one at 12 and Orchard Lake but they closed all their Midwest operations. They still thrive on the West Coast. I hope they return to Detroit someday.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jack in the Box has a raspberry malt that is to die for."

Yeah, Jack has some burgers that will plain ol make you die, too. lol

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knapps in downtown rochester makes the old fashioned malts and they are fantastic. they'll set you back a 5 dollar bill, but worth it you a taste and treat of years gone by.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 525
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Sams Drugs still there at Fenkell and Ardmore? I used to go there and also Perry's Drugstores (Grandland Shopping Center) to buy lotto tickets back-in-the-day. Never won much though. And I had a membership at that health and fitness place directly across the street, can't recall the name of it right now.

Jack-in-the-Box (JIB) and Red Barn were both located on 8 Mile Road near Evergreen in the late 70's. JIB [http://www.jackinthebox.com] is slowly adding new locations, mostly in the southwest.

Jyogi

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we are still there at Sams Drugs.
We have been since my Grandfather started
it in the 30's. We sold off the majority of
the store in the 80's but my father still own
and runs the pharmacy. He is there 4 days a week. He will be 70 years old and refuses to slow down. We also own Marvins Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills and he work 5-7 days a week there... The crazy guy doesn't know how to relax or slow down if he is in town.

The crazy thing about Sams is the people who bought the rest of the store are behind bullet proof glass and get robbed a few times a year.
The drug store (which has all the meds theyd want to steal) is not behind glass... The people in the area know when their mothers couldn't afford their meds or baby milk my dad gave it to them. So Thank G-d (knocking on wood) they do not bother my father or his staff.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetland, on J.Campau in Hamtramck

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jyogi:
That is great to hear - I enjoy happy stories like that! And your Father is still there after all these years - impressive!

Was the fitness place across the street called Vic Tanny?

(Message edited by vetalalumni on August 15, 2007)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom got mugged outside of Sam`s in the early seventies. She never let it really rattle her, though. She stayed in the area until the end of the eighties (retirement), God love her tough little soul.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"JIB [http://www.jackinthebox.com] is slowly adding new locations, mostly in the southwest."

Yeah....they're as common as McDonalds out here in the Las Vegas area. I get one of their sourdough burgers every once in a while. Haven't become ill yet........

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandparents used to own Flips at Plymouth and Burt (I think Burt was the cross street). Apparently it used to be somewhat of a hangout for the kids from Cody in the '50's. I have a pic of my Mom working behind the counter as a teen.

I have been told that I used to go there and stake out my territory behind the candy counter, but I don't remember that.

Anyone remember Flips? If so, you probably know my Mom and her sisters.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.