Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » DPL Bookmobile « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5712
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here have any recollections on the Detroit Public Library's ol' Bookmobile? I loved that thing as a kid and remember feeling so guilty when I forgot to return my books in time.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5763
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the current one parked at Jefferson and Van Dyke yesterday.

Mondays was the day in my youth I checked out and returned books at the corner of Springwells and Navy, across from the Tasti-Freeze in SW Detroit.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

That's the one I went to also! Couldn't wait to get new books to read. Seems I remember it as being a gray color?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a bigger fan of the swim-mobile myself.....

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a gray one that used to come to St. Brendans (Tuesday nights)...I remember many a summer sitting on porch when it was raining reading a book from the Bookmobile....I really must of loved reading since I am a junkie even today.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5713
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading's not such a bad thing to get hooked upon, Gibran. I'd be willing ot bet you that if there were more kids today with that "addiction" there'd be less problems on the streets now. I loved my Bookmobile as a kid- not just because of the novelty of a library on wheels but as a great place to discover cool books. And when I found out I could order books NOT on the Bookmobile, that opened another massive venue to me as well as a kid!

Long live books!

Ptpelee
Username: Ptpelee

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Father drove the DPL Bookmobile from 1971 until 1986, when he got his job back in the Bindery Division. I used to ride it to various stops on the West side. Some of the East side stops were pretty rough and he didn't let me go there. One time the Swimmobile had the same stop at the same time.... half the books were found in the water! They never did that again....

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, loved the Bookmobile. It came to the City playfield near my school every Wednesday night. In my memory, its always summer and I am waiting in line with a lot of expectation for the next good read. We opened our books to the back cover and piled them up to make returning check-in easier. We were pros at library efficiency.
Not all my friends came. I was sort of on my own.
In those days I liked stories of girls in the upper Michigan wilderness, Canada, Australia. I also read everything by Lenora Mattingly Webber (why can I remember her name and not the name of the series heroine?). I loved the feel of the library bindings and I did not disdain the tattered copies - I knew that their condition reflected heavy readership.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on the Bookmobile that I discovered reading those kid mysteries, Encyclopedia Brown. They weren't any great American novels by any stretch but fun nevertheless.

And Southwestmap, are you thinking of Beany Malone? Or were you thinking of the Belford folks?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 889
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does Smogboy know about Beany Malone - yes, it was her. I loved her.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to one back in the 60's. I lived on Greenlawn near Fenkell-it would be on a street on the north side of Fenkell-Woodingham I think. I borrowed a lot books from there back then.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember John Small and Ike Williams. They were the drivers of the bookmobiles in the mid to late 60's. Making stops at a lot of places to provide reading material for those too far from branch libraries.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.