Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Slatkin coming to DSO? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome if it happens - Slatkin being here would draw attention by itself, but a touring DSO would bring a ton of positive attention to the city.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077081403 58

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is he leaving St.Louis?
Slatkin is one of the best. His parents were fixtures in the Hollywood studio orchestras during the golden age of movie scores and pop recordings. Felix Slatkin (Leonard's father) was Frank Sinatra's concertmaster

Lilpup

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He left St. Louis a long time ago - he's with the National in D.C. now. The article says he won't be available until 2009-10, but is already set to do four or five weeks here in 2008-09.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2558
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packard you know your Sinatra_ some of you may recall that Slatkin was in Ann Arbor recently to conduct William Bolcoms(sp?) epic composition based on William Blakes songs of innocence

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delighted to learn that my favorite orchestra led by Andre' Rieu is coming to my home in Las Vegas on December 7. He has a big US itinerary, but the closest he'll come to Detroit will be in Toronto on December 14-15.
Whatever, you know where I will be on Pearl Harbor day.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a great thing. Never seen Slatkin conduct, only heard very good things about him

I remember living in NYC, reading a review of a DSO recording under Jarvi, and the reviewer said it trumped the NY Phil recording of a coupl of years previous in virtually every way. I sort of did an in your face NY dance right there

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is great news, I had no idea that the DSO was talking to him, thanks for the info.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is huge if it happens. The DSO already has a great reputation as a world class orchestra and this could raise the bar even higher.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5099
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's from Washington DC.... how could anyone ever want to leave that utopia to come here??? :-)

Ray1936, Andre has been to Detroit several times... at the Fox and at the Palace. His performance at the Fox was great, but I'd rather watch him on PBS than on a big screen at the Palace.

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slatkin to the DSO? One of the worst kept secrets of the past 6-9 months... It will be a great move for the DSO.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"He's from Washington DC.... how could anyone ever want to leave that utopia to come here???"

Does he like to snow sky?

Like good baseball?

Lilpup

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's got a website - http://www.leonardslatkin.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.