Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Walkable Neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Key in your address at walkscore.com - neighborhoods are ranked on how much you can accomplish (daily living) on foot. I was surprised to see Rosedale Park ranked only slightly less than the area near Hamtramck. Anyway, just for fun, and it's great to see neighborhood businesses listed.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/108993.html?1186348305

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why bother trying to post something positive out here? Thanks, guess I better always search the archives.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Oakman---great link and sending it to friends/family. Oh--I scored an 88/100. Yes!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3581
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed the first thread, so thanks Oakmangirl.

I can see that tool being used by realtors while selling homes in urban areas.

It's interesting because it is very sensitive, especially regarding proximity to schools and food (appropriately.) My childhood home near a section of Mack in GP with mainly just offices rather than restaurants, and about a 10-15 walk from our schools, scored a 52. Move down a few cross-streets to Kercheval Ave., which links shopping, dining, and schools/libraries, and you get into the mid-70s. When you try more-single use neighborhoods like those in GP Shores, you get very low scores. Very interesting and accurate, I think. The only problem I see is that is goes strictly by mileage between places. You can take Ferndale or GP or Detroit and have a convenience store a half-mile away from your house, and compare it to somewhere in Auburn Hills where there is a similar store a half mile away. But they are not nearly as walkable because in the latter scenario you'd have to walk in the opposite direction to get to the access road out of your sub, and then walk along a major thoroughfare which may or may not have sidewalks (and certainly won't have any scenery), and then cross said thoroughfare risking your life...whereas in an urban neighborhood you can walking on interlocking sidewalks along quiet streets the whole way.

I was happy to see that my current apartment got a 95.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, Mackinaw, with the comparison. The tool looks at mixed use and mileage but can't account for built environment differences.

Wow! A 95- good for you.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks 95 is a tad high when AFFORDABLE groceries still require a bus or car. Ann Arbor is always a tad overrated.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how can Evergreen and Warren only get a 51? What isn't within 3 blocks? Still, a very cool site. thanks.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are definitely some limitations. My neighborhood scored in the middle when I literally have everything within walking distance including my doctor and dentist. I think this quote from the site sums things up best:

"You should use the Web 3.0 app called going outside and investigating the world for yourself" before deciding whether a neighborhood is walkable!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also take this rating with a grain of salt since it gave me points for living near the Alger Theater.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should take it for a grain of salt, since you can get a good walkability score even withou any sidewalks, or taking into account you may have to cross I-75 to walk there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.