Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Gourmet grocer eyes midtown Detroit site » Archive through August 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A specialty grocer that emphasizes Michigan-made and gourmet food aims to set up a 4,500-square-foot store in a new loft project on Woodward in Midtown.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070804/B IZ/708040322/1001

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH MY GOD! YES! YES! YES!!! please god!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Zaccaro's will offer a wide variety of produce from Michigan farms, an in-house bakery and pastry shop, wine and a range of delicatessen meats and cheeses, seafood, and ethnic cuisine, including Italian, Asian, Jewish and Greek

Some of the signature prepared dishes include whitefish pate, crab and calamari salad, and crab cakes

Hmm...sounds nice. Gourmet. Can I buy regular day-to-day crap there? If not, sounds good, but I bet many wouldn't shop there very often and would still end up at Meijer on 13 Mile, or similar.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6314
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! What a start to revitilize Brush Park/ Midtown area. Gentrifiction, it works for rich folks very quick.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thing wont be open fast enough in my opinion.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish the news would do a full comprehensive report or the changing face of lower woodward ad include a full virtual rendering of how Woodward will look with so many great treasures being restored along with the new housing thats filling in the blank spaces.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I think it would be best if they waited about 30 years until the revitalization is complete, then go ahead with a comprehensive report about Woodward.

Although, A virtual rendering would be nice as it would move the revitalization of Woodward through even faster.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30 years,, damn

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "4,500-square-foot store" will not have much "day-to-day crap there." That is about 1/10th the SF of a typical suburban grocer. So in theory, they will have a bit less to offer. The good news though is that they might just offer 2 options for every type of product instead of 20 (that might actually be a relief for some of us that are appalled by the size of some of the suburban mega grocers).

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the markets website,
http://www.zaccarosmarket.com/
The website has more info of what the store offers.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3623
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My impression that this will be primarily a pricey deli for those who cannot or won't cook for themselves--other than throwing a salad together.

Their Web site seems to point in that direction--delis and catering.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"30 years,, damn"

It's only a reasonable guess. I can't say when Woodward will be at it's total revitalization (it could be sooner or later than 30 years).

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 04, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the way both you guys and the Company is speaking, it will be something like a old-style Corner Market (like Payless over on the E. Grand Blvd and Kercheval, but slightly more upscale).

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link, Sg9018. I just sent them an email to tell them how welcome they would be in our town. Maybe others will do the same so they know how excited we will all be to have them here?

Urbanize

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you know places like Pharmacies and Corner Upscale Markets WANT to invest in the city, you know it's already approaching the top of the stairwell for a retail boom.

With all the Workers and Residents population steadily increasing down there, the next step most likely will have to be either a Chain Cleaners, A 24-hour Pharmacy or A Larger Market.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A definite step in the right direction.

As I’ve stated before, when it comes to services like grocery Michigan based companies should and will be the first to take a risk on the Detroit market.

Hopefully, Meijers will follow Zaccaro's lead and invest in downtown or near downtown area.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A definite step in the right direction.

When it comes to services like grocery Michigan based companies should and will be the first to take a risk on the Detroit market.

Hopefully, Meijers will follow Zaccaro's lead and invest in the downtown or near downtown area.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 846
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news, but as others have said, we really need a plain Jane grocery store. We already have Harbortown for this sorta thing. That said, any and all development is welcome. :-)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you forgetting University Foods or Food Ghetto Pride, both on Warren and both in between I-75 and the Lodge?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha. I didn't forget them. I think the supermercados in Southwest are a much better and safer option than Food Pride (how can they be proud of that place?).

Urbanize

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ghetto Pride"

My point exactly. No one wants to shop at Ghetto Grocers.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and let's not even think about Tomboy.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to get Technical, but it's even outside of Midtown, let along Downtown.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ you have too many posts.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...it will be something like a old-style Corner Market (like Payless over on the E. Grand Blvd and Kercheval, but slightly more upscale).

Mm, "slightly" is a bit of an understatement there.

Sounds like a great development, though. Even better that it's right on Woodward, highly visible. And it will be walking distance for a lot of people, which Harbortown is not so much.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9705
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a stupid path for a thread. This is just entirely too typical. A company is planning to invest in the city and people are already criticizing.

Then that moves on to criticizing the existing grocers and comments about having to go to suburban grocers. It's no wonder there is so little investment in the city when the rah-rah Detriot types insist on driving to Meijer as opposed to making an extra stop or two.

The simple fact of the matter is that most groceries can be bought at places like Honey Bee, Eastern Market shops, University, etc but those aren't good enough for some so they still take their money out of the city.

Investment follows buying power - spending your money elsewhere for a little convenience is a major issue in considering development for the city. Economic flight is hurting Detroit just as much as population flight but so many of the rah-rahs here are all too willing to take their dollars elsewhere for convenience sake.

Appalling.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I thought about it, but if I used any other word saying it was more descriptive than slight, it would have snathced the whole "Old-Style Corner Market" part out of the store.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 853
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey Bee is where I buys my goods. SW side is SW pride. Or something. Saw that spray-painted on a garage by my house.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Problem with that is, it's WAY over in SW Detroit, a whole 2 or 3 Miles away from Downtown Detroit. You must get in the car and Drive there (and everyone doesn't own cars). Everyone's not like you either.

People might want something in Walking distance from their crib.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9706
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing wrong with wanting things within walking distance - we all want that and it is understandable.

The issue I have is with people that think an extra stop or two is to inconvenient so they drive to the suburbs for all of their groceries in one stop.

All I ask is that people think of the ramifications of the economic flight of those that can afford to support business in their area.