Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » No new Red Wings Arena??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070815/M ETRO/708150394&theme=Metro-Sta diums

I hope Olympia Entertainment doesn't wait that long to decide.

<313>

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a joke. How do you sign a lease when it's not even clear what the duration is?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does seem kinda fishy that no one really knew the actual date the lease was/is up. But waiting could be good, gives the Illiches more time to decide what they want to do, and trying to finance anything right now would be a disaster. Maybe someone in the real estate/legal field has some more insight into this.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will wait - there is no need to move any faster than you absolutely have to, in their shoes.

It's a shame, because I think a stadium where the article insinuates would have much more impact than having the Joe where it is now, built during a time where new developments downtown were created as hard-to-access-from-street fortresses.

Agreed Danindc - but, that's par for the course with government entities.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This also gives Illich a couple more years of the Tigers being profitable to give him more money at his disposal to build a nice new arena. I just can't see him wanting to stay in the Joe when he can put it over by his empire called Foxtown.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to bet that the actual date WAS Aug 16th of this year, and the city and Ilitch 'moved' it back in order to give them time to (and help them) acquire other needed properties behind the Fox they may need/want also.

...in their minds, making an official announcement right now isn't a big deal to them, since they will be playing in the Joe for the next few years anyway, even if an announcement was made today.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.