Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Small Italian markets. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was Julians Italian imports on Gratiot. I recently discovered a neat little market-bakery-pizzeria-deli on Rochester Rd. in Clawson. The little mom and pop store has a great selection of quality pizza by the slice as well as whole pies-Cannollis on demand-various imported slice and spumoni Italian ice. Julianos? I believe is the name.Between 13 and 14 mile rd. Any other similiar places around the metropolitan area?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventimiglia's on Dodge Park about a block north of 15 mile. They used to be on 8 Mile but moved north. I think they also had a store near 75 a long time ago as well. The best Italian places will be on the east side. Sorry Jjaba lol....They have great subs and breads as well as a full deli.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one on Rochester Road between 13 and 14 is called Julian Brothers. Good stuff.

Bommarito's on Mack between 8 and 9 Mile has the best cannoli and pine nut cookies.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gonella's (sp?) on Oakwood in the dog leg, near Ford Rouge. Great subs! (I have not been in a couple years; hope that they are still there!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gonellas has changed owners, non-Italian. Sadly it lost quality.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on Bommarito's- their cannoli is the best I have ever had. All of their baked goods are really great, and they have a nice wine selection to wash it down with.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to Alcamo's my girlfriend goes to Giglio's--Go figure. Eastside-Westside divide?

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The subs at Gonella's are great. The regular sub for $3.50 is really good, and you can pay more for more meat and cheese. They also have a fine deli counter, fresh italian sausage that they make themselves, and plenty of products that are imported from Italy. And the staff has been the same for at least the past five years. So I'm not sure that I agree with Homer that they have lost quality.

Deals21
Username: Deals21

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is two Gonella's Italian stores. The one on Oakwood, was sold by the Gonella family. Ray Gonella's son opened another store in Dearborn, on Outer Drive and Pellem, the New Gonellas or Original Gonellas, something like that. It has been a few years since I have been in the one on Oakwood, but it was run by middle easterns.
By the way, Alcamo's started out in Oakwood Hts. too. Their store was on Fort St. and back door was on Waring, down the street from the Oakwood bakery.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nino's, that used to be on Schoolcraft between Greenfield and Southfield in the 70s, is now in Walled Lake, right on the main street across from that beach restaurant that keeps closing. They still have great cannolis, great bread and great little subs.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to Alcamo's and find its selection and quality of meats and cheeses to be excellent... Parmigiano Reggiano, Provolone and Prosciutto di Parma... Mmm... They also make excellent subs. It's as close as I've gotten here to some of the small markets in Italy; cramped aisles and a beautiful aroma.

(Message edited by elsuperbob on August 16, 2007)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nino Salvagio's in Saint Clair Shores on Harper and 11 mile. or the newer location on M59.

My Italian grandma is a regular at Vince and Joes on Garfield and Canal in Clinton Twp as well as Ventimiglia's on dodge park rd and 15 mile

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll also add that there are several small shops still on Erie St. in Windsor, La Stella just past Parent is an excellent place to find Italian products... And I think the canolis from Aurora Pastry near Marentette are quite delicious.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cantoro's on Middlebelt north of 7 mile in Livonia is excellent. They have a bakery, but no butcher. Alcamo's has a butcher but no bakery. Both are excellent. Lots of Italians on the west side too!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a little Italian in you?

Or, have you ever had a little Italian in you?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm making sauce right now! Tonight it will be pasta, later, pizza and Lasagne. Alcomo's seem to provide the best mortadella e prosciutto. My girlfriend is from the eastside, she claims it’s good as well. I sure do love those Pistachio’s.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe:
Is it possible that you are referring to the Nino's that was on the south side of Schoolcraft near Stahelin, Artesian, or Warwick during the 70's? Don't know of another Nino's in the area during the 70's.

Well that Nino's establishment was mentioned in a DYes thread called Detroit Bakeries? , which has been archived and can be found here [https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/107211/101524.html].

Look for 2 posts by me (Vetalalumni) with the following date and time stamps:
* Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:04 pm:
* Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:42 pm:

And look for 1 post by "Oldestuff", with the following date and time stamp:
* Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:22 am:

The neighborhood kids and I often went to Nino's for the delicious pepperoni rolls and a lot of other foods. It was a relatively small store-front type of operation. I think we called the older gentleman who was always behind the counter "Nino".

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.chimentositalianmarket.com

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giglio's on Harper between 10 and 11 in SCS MI.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that is the same Nino's. Wasn't it great? We lived walking distance from it in the 70s. They still have the cannolis, pepperoni rolls and great bread. They are in Walled Lake, let's see...

Here is the contact info, it's right across from the east shore of the lake:

(248) 624-6608
115 E Walled Lake Dr
Walled Lake, MI 48390

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe:
Thanks for the updated information for Nino's. I'll be sure to try and stop by there on my next visit to Detroit.

Bucket
Username: Bucket

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The prices at Roselli's at 14 Mile and Groesbeck in Fraser can't be beat for packaged pasta and imported cheeses -- Grana Padano, Reggiano Parmigiano, Pecorino Romano, Crotonese, Provolone, etc. Lots of domestic cheeses, as well as olives, olive oil (they carry Castelvetrano brand from Sicily at a good price -- that's the best olive oil available, IMO) beans, coffee, kitchen gadgets, espresso makers and the like.

Buon appetito!

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giglio's market in St Clair Shores is excellen t! Butcher shop, deli, and bakery! They hava a olive bar (barrels of a variety of olives) sold by the pound. They also sell all kinds of pasta, canned goods,wine,candy and such from Italy. A great market that has been family run for over 70 years! Nice people too........

Located on Harper about 2 blocks north of 11 mile road (west side of street).

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My oh MY Giglio's is alive and well?
Great to hear. During the early 60's
my friend's Mom (1st gen. Italian/American) would travel to The original Giglio's on Gratiot near 6 or 7 mile every Saturday and bring home the fixin's for Sunday dinner. mmm good.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6346
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a shit load of those stores on Erie St.
(little Italy) in Windsor, along with a neighborhood supermarket too.

Come over one day during business hours and walk the strip, then have some lunch.

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an italian market / pizza joint that I recall (I think on Plymouth Road in Redford or Livonia) that was the most amazing place. Not very clean, owned by a guy that would sell you a bottle of wine and proceed to drink it with you (out of an old chalice), sold italian sausage by the link.. cut with a pair of scissors laying in a drawer.. had postcards and pictures of Italian movie actresses stapled over every square inch of the place. Outdoor tables in the back (off the alley) were covered in grape vines.. more a grotto than anything.. and across the alley, was this bizarre walking path with concrete statues hidden in the brush. I can't recall the name.. Anyone know the place I'm talking about? Is it still around?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keystone-

I have been in to see Silvio going back to like 1978-very nice guy. Looks like they might have shut him down...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com /tips/getAttraction.php?Tip_At tractionNo==3333

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's tringali's on 12 mile and schoenherr. we always get cannoli from there...which my mom says are second only to bomarito's cannoli.

http://www.tringalisbakery.com /

(Message edited by valkyrias on August 22, 2007)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julianos has great frozen but fresh tasting beef pasties and great prices on thier imported Dellalo pasta sauce. I think it is about a buck cheaper than Holiday in Royal Oak.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Gonella's (sp?) on Oakwood in the dog leg, near Ford Rouge. Great subs! (I have not been in a couple years; hope that they are still there!”

I think the subs at Gonella’s are great as well. I lived right around the corner from the one on Oakwood; 7-layer was a nice size for me, and a very reasonable price to go with it. They have a nice assortment of lunchmeats, breads, pasta’s, and spices.

Packed from all the Marathon employees getting lunch, (some picking up cases of subs) go real early, or the subs are great as an early dinner.

It’s been a couple years since I’ve been as well.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cantoro's is a fine Italian market and bakery in Livonia, on Middlebelt between 7 and 8 Mile. Their bread is wonderful!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.