Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit to get new minor league football team « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0815/REG/70815010/0/toc&Profil e=0

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright folks, bring out your best Lions jokes.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most obvious joke is that a minor league team already plays at Ford Field....However; the new team should get involved with Ernie Harwells project and play at Tiger Stadium. .

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a more serious note, I like that the league requires players to have earned an undergraduate degree...

They are working out deals with various colleges to allow the schools' football players who don't get drafted out of college to continue to play organized football and make a living doing it, and perhaps eventually go pro...

But they've got to stay in school and earn that degree first...none of this three-years-and-I'm-done nonsense...

: )

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 781
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Thejesus, it's good that those who played can get some extra playing time. But I fear this will not last. Minor-league teams don't fare good in Detroit. Hopefully, there's enough backing to make it stick. Then maybe the MLS will take a look our way.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Each team has to contain something like 65% of its roster from local colleges and universities, players earn about 65-150k a season.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.