Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Golf « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested in learning to play golf. Anybody got some tips, or have some info as to where to go? I'm in Harper Woods, and not trying to break the bank.
Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3443
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Jawor's, Gratiot & 14:

http://www.jaworgolf.com/golfr ange.htm

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are NOT welcome at Bushwood!

did you get a bowl of soup with that hat?

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What???

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Mikem, go with Jawor's Golf Center, the place is top notch and reasonable priced.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check with the guys on Belle Isle. The Driving range can hook you up with someone.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caddyshack, MD.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take some group lessons from a golf pro at Jawor's or any golf course or driving range. Buy a set of clubs that have the right shaft length for your height - this is more important than any design features the clubs might offer, if the club shafts are too short for you , it won't matter how big a sweet spot they have or how much they cost you. Practice on the driving range until you feel somewhat comfortable with your swing, then go have some fun out on the courses.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For better reference...

If you haven't seen it, go see it. You will never look at golf the same way again.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most driving ranges offer group and personal lessons at very reasonable rates. If you're looking for a good beginner course, Try Metro Beach (only need a putter, wedge, and middle iron for this short yardage course) or the 9-hole Warfield Greens on Utica Rd, south of 15 mile in Fraser.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do not get a group lesson--they are worthless. The pro at jawars is very reasonable but the only problem with jawars is that they have mats which don't give you the feel you need(you can't chunk on a mat, the club will snap right thru)

Spend some $ on a couple of personal lessons and they go play ghetto meadows (chandler park)

remember this: once you get addicted to golf it is more expensive than a heroin habit!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, thanks for the info on Metro, I'm going to try that one of these days.

Croweblack, I agree with you about the mats. I'm okay on them but when I get to the course, I can't hit worth a shit. Greenfield Golf Center in Melvindale is right across from where I work and has an area where you can hit off the grass there. Are there any ranges on the east side where you can hit off the grass?

Played softball for years until I busted my jaw after colliding with the shortstop running for a fly ball from left field. Softball career is over. Started golf this year. Definitely is addictive, it satisfies my intrinsic desire to hit a ball with a stick.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the real reason you want those sweater vests made? I kid. I kid.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chandler Park? Ghetto Meadows!!!!
Is nothing sacred anymore? In the early forties, when I wasn't caddying, I was 'living' at the Chandler Golf Course. 50 cents for nine holes. And sometimes you could sneak in a few extra holes if you watched out for the "ranger." My first nine hole round was a "90".
I quit playing golf when I was 26. I came home one Sunday, in the late afternoon, after playing 36 holes and my wife had packed her bags and she told me she was taking the kids and moving in with her parents. When I asked her why she was leaving me, she said, "It's bad enough that you play every day of the week, but you could save Sunday for your family. The very next day, after placating her, I joined the NE "Y" and began my handball career. One hour in the early evening, three nights a week, and we lived happily ever after.
Later, my wife asked me why I never invited her to learn how to play golf with me. I looked her dead in the eye and replied, "I'd rather go through another root canal."
Chauvinism? You bet. But nothing is forever. Now at the ripe old age of 78, I won't let her out of my sight. The Voyager RV Park is next door to our residential park. They have a short, par 3 golf course. They have a summer rate of $ 100.00 for five months. Play all you want. Anyway, she made a hole in one on a 90 yard hole a couple of years ago. I asked her, "Why in the name of all that is holy did you not tell me that you had a talent for this game.?
After playing for 65 years, off and on, I am still looking for my first 'hole-in=one.'

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Jfried,
I want the sweater vests because I HATE wearing a blazer. Theres nothing like sitting in a meeting about a meeting, discussing scheduling the next meeting in a hot ass blazer.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 597
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for golf coupons, they always have them in those entertainment books that kids sell for fundraisers. Also don't stay on the range for too long before you get out on the course- the range and the course are two different worlds. Start out hitting the short irons (9,8,7) and build your way up. If you can't hit your driver so well right off the bat, don't worry about it. Just get out on a crappy course like Southgate or somewhere. If there's no one around take a lot of practice shots on the course. Look online and call around for deals and special rates. Go with someone who knows the game, and don't buy expensive equipment, especially balls. Try play it again sports, craigslist, or ebay if you want cheap clubs. If you can do one thing well, focus on that and build around it. Focus on being consistent, and the rest will come together with repetition.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle driving range will allow you to hit from grass instead of mats.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Spitty and Reetz12.

Ordinary

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4832
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a beginner, the grip is the number one most important thing. Learn it and learn it well. Go online or to your library and get a few books on the game. Get some whiffle golf balls at Dunhams or SA and practice on your front lawn. Do practice swings in front of a mirror or glass with reflection. At this stage, dont focus on distance or accuracy. Focus more on making solid contact with the ball without actually swinging at it. You have to swing through the ball....follow through.

Dont try and kill the ball. It isnt baseball or homerun derby.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.