Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » This day in 1812 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a sad day for Detroit. British and Indian forces took over Detroit in the War of 1812. Ray1936 and Jjaba were both there, with Ray catching this photo of Jjaba as the Brits marched through the fort.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahaha I thought I recognized Jjaba from a history book. That is when he lived deep in the deep woods of the soon to be westside!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If memory serves this still was taken in Paris in 1940 as the conquering Germans rolled in.

My neighbor is an ooooold WWII vet and still grumbles that Paris was recaptured by Free French troops in '44 only as a publicity stunt: US troops pounded the Germans and then stepped aside so that the "heroes" of de Gaulle's army could redeem French honor. According to my neighbor the Free French would have had a difficult time storming a bakery, let alone a defended city.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig,

I doubt he was complaining about that night though. From what I heard, the Parisian ladies were MORE than welcoming to the American GIs who came in after the French. One American general was even quoted as saying, "Any GI who doesn't get laid tonight is a pussy".

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you certain Ray1936? I thought this photograph was of Jjaba on that fateful day after he smarted off to a British soldier:

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a picture of jjaba when he was much younger.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for giving me a great laugh this morning!

Fastone
Username: Fastone

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha! Thanks!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it happened in 1813. Thanks for the education.

The family genealogist says my great-great-great-grandfather was on the British side. It gives me a slight bit of satisfaction to have a forebear that invaded and occupied the city of my birth!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, bear in mind the Brits were assisted by Indian 'mercinaries'. Seems like they've always gotta have help from someone.......:-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3758
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those troublesome Indians who scared the troops into surrendering the fort were from the Green Bay area. So Detroit started losing to Green Bay almost two hundred years ago.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me about it. Just re-read Kenneth Roberts' Northwest Passage. There the colonials and the natives worked together.

Unfortunately, they were out to kill other natives. Sigh ...

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fine post, lodge!! I remember when the movie was made, Charleton Heston claimed that one of the support actors refused to cross from the west to the east side of the River Jordan. Strictly a west sider even back then.
Now we know who it was. I hope he was paid Union scale.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great posts Ray1936, The_Rock and Quozl and JohnLodge, you really made my day. Too Funny!

Stromberg2

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, so long as jjaba realizes it is only a tribute to his greatness and our admiration. ;)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.