Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Work in Times Square area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what is happening around Nick's Gas Light and behind the Book Building?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city is building the new Rosa Parks Transit Center (bus terminal).

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/89914/95021.html?1175230 711

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are also resurfacing a lot of roads downtowm.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats up with all the white "sails" looking things going up around Detroit? There's some on the riverfront, and the Rosa Parks center is apparently going to have a bunch. Is this a Detroit thing, or what? Do big white sails somehow tie in with hundred-year old architecture in a way I am unaware of?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um, an homage to our past maritime greatness?

Many cities are using tensile structures for many different reasons

they are permanent, but more easily changeable, modern, but somehow traditional looking, and they can be relatively cheap

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wonder how a few years of diesel bus exhaust will fare on those brilliant white sheets. I fear they will quickly become gray and black messes.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so will this transit center mean fewer people standing along Woodward waiting for the bus to come? i.e., will the bus stops be eliminated and replaced with this one central hub?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it means less people in CGP at the temporary hub

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hub is currently at Capitol Park.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6367
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New Rosa Parks D-DOT Bus Terminal is the ugliest building that I have ever seen. Oh well that's 21st Century architecture.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 738
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just wonder how a few years of diesel bus exhaust will fare on those brilliant white sheets

Not for much longer. The EPA emission regulations have been in effect since this year 2007 and every new bus and commercial vehicle (built after 2006) is required to comply with them. My company is one of those providing the technology.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the city doesn't own the Michigan Depot, But I don't understand why they didn't use that money to renovate the building plus house the new Greyhound bus terminal there alone with the DDOT HQ!?!

image the activity in the area that would have generated.

I know it's low income residents, but it still income.

If the city could pull that off, they could have even lured SMART also.

That would easily make the MCS the largest depot in Michigan.

Then you build a people mover extention, followed by an Amtrack station. Either way Detroit missed the chance....again
<313>

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how is the gaslight always wanted to go in but dont know anything about it

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaslight is sort of like a suburban ethnic hall, but in the city. People there are nice, but don't pay to park in the lot next to it when you can park on the street.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9858
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so will this transit center mean fewer people standing along Woodward waiting for the bus to come? i.e., will the bus stops be eliminated and replaced with this one central hub?

I think the Woodward routes will reamin. This will take over the bus interchange currently in Capitol Park. It should open up capitol park to be a lot better of an opportunity for redevelopment but I don't think (not positive) that it will change the current bus routes.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just wonder how a few years of diesel bus exhaust will fare on those brilliant white sheets. I fear they will quickly become gray and black messes."

These white sails that you are speaking of are made of teflon coated fiberglass, so the same thing that keeps your frying pan clean keeps the white sails a bright white. Hail Science.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

313, what is this Michigan Depot you refer to?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe he means MCS.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.