Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Snap fitness: Trusting people to not be idiots. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this place that recently opened in Ferndale is pretty interesting. A gym that is open 24 hours, and only staffed during the day, its members get cards and can come and go as they please. It is a franchise, and has been successful in other places.

http://www.candgnews.com/Homep age-Articles/2007/8-15-07/FF-S NAP.asp

"The fitness club will be accessible to individuals who are assigned a key card after signing up for a monthly membership. That key card becomes inactive once a member decides not to continue on to the next month.

“It’s a very secure system,” Shafritz said.

“I think people will really enjoy the convenience,” Cohen said.

Currently, the club is staffed between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sundays. Those hours may be extended in the fall, Shafritz said.

But once staff members leave the facility, the club is still well secured, Shafritz assured.

“We have surveillance cameras around the entire space that capture any time there’s movement inside the gym, and (it’s) downloaded into a hard drive and saved for 36 days,” Shafritz explained. “That is a deterrent. There is also a emergency panic button in the gym.”"

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone get a franchise in midtown!

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting idea, but who feels the need to exercise at 3 AM? Do they have cameras in the locker room cause I can imagine all sorts of "rest stop" things happening.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Very interesting idea, but who feels the need to exercise at 3 AM?

People who work the night shift? Retail workers who don't get off work until 10-11pm? Students who don't keep normal schedules? Nurses? Firefighters?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9877
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insomniacs?

Obsessive-compulsives?

Fisher Kings?!

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pass that location on my way to work and another location right by where I work.

Four times a day I am reminded that I should start some type of physical exercise regime.

Bastards.

If I were to join, I'd be there at 3am. Their flexible hours and fairly low cost is the only thing that makes it somewhat appealing to me.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of gyms are open 24 hours.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Insomniacs?

Obsessive-compulsives?

Fisher Kings?!

And Gannon, obviously.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snap Fitness doesn't have a locker room.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.