Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » People Mover: 'A Rich Folks' Roller Coaster' » Archive through August 17, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9387
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jul. 26, 2007

“A Rich Folks’ Roller Coaster”

By Kenneth M. Braun

The Detroit People Mover celebrates its 20th birthday this month. More than a year before it opened in 1987, Time magazine printed an unflattering preview of the coming attraction titled "Horizontal Elevator to Nowhere." Estimating the project to be a year late and 50 percent over budget, Time detailed numerous defects and problems, with the most notable mistake being the decision to build it at all. One Detroit resident was quoted as saying that it was "a rich folks’ roller coaster," and a Reagan administration transit chief predicted that it could become "the least cost-effective transit project in the last 20 years." The People Mover has repeatedly revisited these themes as if they were stations on its tiny circuit.

The system is a model of inefficiency. According to reports submitted to the Federal Transit Administration for the decade 1997-2006, the People Mover's operational costs exceeded $3 per passenger mile every year and topped $5 per passenger mile for five of those years. In 1999, it spiked to $14.64. Consider that New York City’s famously efficient subways regularly run at around 30 cents per passenger mile and that most of Michigan’s largest city bus systems do the job for around $1 or less — including the Detroit Department of Transportation buses that even run within the People Mover’s route.

The federal government’s estimated number of daily rides steadily eroded from 70,000 to 20,000 as the People Mover project stumbled from planning toward completion. After the first eight months in operation, The Detroit News reported that the government’s daily rider expectation was just 16,500, and that even this would probably not be met because only 13,207 daily rides had been given during its very best single month to that point.

The "people" are still not being moved. According to a December 2006 Detroit News article, about 10 percent of the tram’s seats are used, and ridership figures reported to the FTA for 2006 worked out to 6,323 rides per day. Largely because Detroit hosted a Super Bowl during the reporting period, the underwhelming total for 2006 reflects the best People Mover year of any of the previous 10. For the four prior years the rides per day worked out to an average of just 3,915.

Some years were worse. A People Mover station was planned to help the financially struggling yet historic J.L. Hudson retail outlet, but the store closed its doors before the monorail was completed, leaving a track that still went past an empty 439-foot-tall building. Before imploding the old store in October of 1998, then-Mayor Dennis Archer stated: "Today, we say goodbye to years of frustration." But frustration continued for the People Mover, as falling rubble damaged the track. The resulting service delays through 1999 cut usage that year to 2,090 rides per day.

Mayor Coleman Young was the People Mover’s original champion and first to experience its frustrations. When ridership during the first year was falling well short of expectations, he proposed a city budget that would have increased the system’s subsidy from $5.9 million to $8.3 million. Demonstrating questionable priorities, his budget also proposed a $9.8 million cut to the city police. This would have eliminated 264 law enforcement jobs at a time when the violent crime rate was rising and people were referring to the Motor City as the "Murder City."

This subsidy eventually became standard practice. For most of the past decade, 85 to 90 percent of the annual bill for the system’s operating expenses has come from the city budget — usually over $8 million and sometimes more than $10 million — in a city with one of the nation’s highest poverty rates. Ironically, a 2004 survey by The Detroit News revealed that fewer than 30 percent of the People Mover’s riders are Detroit residents.

Another telling statistic about the users: ride figures for Saturdays routinely dwarf the work-week daily ride numbers. The vast majority of the system’s users are clearly suburbanites and out-of-town visitors, who pay only a 50-cent per ride fare that regularly covers less than 10 percent of the tram’s annual operating cost, and often less than 5 percent. The People Mover celebrates many wasteful accomplishments as it turns 20, but few stand taller than fulfilling what that wise Detroiter predicted back in 1986: it really is a rich folks’ roller coaster.

#####

Kenneth M. Braun is a policy analyst specializing in fiscal and budgetary issues for the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a research and educational institute headquartered in Midland, Mich. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is hereby granted, provided that the author and the Center are properly cited.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pix of the people mover....where is it....didnt have it when I lived in Detroit area

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well written

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remembering when it was built. It immediately went over budget and they weren't even very far into the project. Then it was referred to as the monorail that "starts nowhere goes nowhere", The news published the layout and everyone was baffled. Then when they started receiving the ironwork, nothing fit anything. It was quite a debacle and a real waterloo for Coleman Young. That was about the same time of the Magnum oil and the Detroit school bus money missing deal. Quite a time.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people mover is basically the suburban Red Wing transit system. Park in Greektown, gamble, ride PM to the Joe, get drunk, ride PM to Greektown, gamble, drive home, rinse, repeat....

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the People Mover is mostly used by suburbanites, then shouldn't the entire region help pay for the subsidization? $8 million spread across 900,000 people is a lot more difficult than it would be if it were spread out across 4 million people. If every household in the Tri-County area (1.6 million) each paid an equal amount, it would total just $5 per household for an entire year.

And for those who would bitch about having to pay for something they don't use, I never drive on 696 or M-59, but I don't complain for having to pay for those roads...

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina, the people mover is used by mostly nobody. Nobody should pay for anything except the removal of this bad idea.

I've been on the PM once as an adult, and the urine stench made it the last trip.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres no urine stench

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I get on the PM, I'm constantly reminded of the monorail episode of The Simpsons...

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop the presses, the Mackinaw Center is grouchy and hates something!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MC accurately captures the current state, but glosses over a more fundamental failing: the DPM was envisioned as a component of an integrated regional transportation system. Buses and light rail far in excess of anything that we've ever seen were to feed riders into the CBD and the DPM.

Aside: I've been on some dirty and stinking trains in the City, but overall I believe that the system is clean and run competently.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A thread with so much misinformation. Shocking.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail!
What'd I say?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MONORAIL!

that's more of a Shelbyville idea............

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use it fairly often, sometimes there are a fair amount of people, sometimes not.. As for the stench of urine, I have never seen anything like that in all of my uses but who knows who is to blame for that,, a homeless person, a drunk Hockey or baseball fan, who knows,, in concept if people get used to riding it around Downtown it is quite a convenient system. The stations are as attractive as anything I have seen in other cities. The problem before is that there wasn't alot of places it connected it to, now that is steadily changing. I don' find it dangerous at all to ride. There are often people of all types and ages on it when I ride it. With some decent management I think its a fairly good system, If the naysayers would take the time to use it regularly when they need to they might see some of the advantages.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use it fairly often. I've never experienced a foul stench, and I enjoy it. Not to say it is practical or efficient at all, but I do like it and make use of it. I could see it become more useful in the future, if more of the stops fill in with reasons to stop there. I've got a small stack of tokens at home that say "stuffed grape leaves dinner after Jazzfest" all over them.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be disassembled and done away with...it's way too costly for the small benefit that it provides...there are better things Detroit could have done with the $150 million-or-so dollars it has spent keeping that thing going for the past 20 years

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Every time I get on the PM, I'm constantly reminded of the monorail episode of The Simpsons..."

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That episode was written by Conan O'Brien. With a fantastic cameo by Leonard Nimoy at the end.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3598
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too many stops. So tedious to ride. The only stops should be Greektown, Grand Circus, Times Square, JLA, Cobo, Ren Cen.

I used to think that it should be extended to the DMC and Wayne State, but who the hell wants those big, view-wrecking tracks running through Brush Park or the Cass-Corridor. Just give us some nice streetcars along Woodward.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've been on the PM once as an adult, and the urine stench made it the last trip."

Bullshit. Look, the PM blows. I can walk almost anywhere that thing goes just as easily. The only thing I find it useful for is with my kids. We hop on at GCP, go to the RenCen stop - either to hang out on the river walk, or to see a movie. When they want to go to Greektown to hit Astoria or something, or any other area on the east side of the system, we simply walk.

The PM is borderline useless as effective mass transit. It's closer to a glorified tourist train. The fact they didn't at least, at least, make the thing go in both directions still baffles me. If it did that, it would at least be mildly more useful.

But it's not hopeless. If they can create a light rail system (woodward, gratiot, michigan, etc.) that connected to the PM, then it could become a useful "loop" for the system. Other than that...

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to call it "Colemans' Folly"....meaning that with all of the problems that Detroit had...with street lights out, urban blight, etal, Coleman Young built that carnival ride downtown, spending millions of dollars that could have been put to a more practical use.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9840
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I used to call it "Colemans' Folly"....meaning that with all of the problems that Detroit had...with street lights out, urban blight, etal, Coleman Young built that carnival ride downtown, spending millions of dollars that could have been put to a more practical use.

It isn't entirely on Coleman. As stated above this was supposed to be for a tie for a regional mass transit system that never happened. The suburbs fought against so hard that the federal funding for a mass transit system was lost.

The PM doesn't serve much purpose but you can't blame CAY for a little vision. Too bad the suburbs fought it that we lost our mass transit opportunity.

Imagine were the state and region would be economically if we had implemented.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GotDetroit, you raise an interesting point indirectly...I agree that one can walk almost anywhere the people mover goes but there lies a major problem for some, either they can't walk the distance we do or some won't. I walk everywhere downtown I can , often 3-4 miles a day, its a great way to stay in shape as well as enjoy the surroundings.I take the people mover when I absolutely need to. In todays world it seems many people wont even consider walking more than 3 blocks to anything. We would all be alot healthier if we walked to things we are able to. When I visit Montreal I often say to my relatives how thin everyone is,, They always say, that is because everyone walks everywhere..
Sounds like common sense to me.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jt1, there is no such thing as "The Suburbs" as though they are a single entity that circle there SUVs against the uncivilized.

Pleeeeze, the notion that Eastpointe, Redford, Ferndale, Taylor, Melvindale and Birmingham join in a single conspiracy is unbelievable. Laughable.

The reason you can blame Coleman for the PM is because without that MFIC we wouldn't have the PM. It is that simple.

No Coleman, no PM.

The PM was a bad idea, poorly executed; but we have it now and if the grumpy gus at the Mackinaw Center doesn't like it, too bad. We have it, we're not going to tear it down, and that is that.

Use it the three times a year you go downtown, enjoy the view and rejoice in the Kreugerands that helped finance the damn thing.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jt1, there is no such thing as "The Suburbs" as though they are a single entity that circle their SUVs against the uncivilized.

Pleeeeze, the notion that Eastpointe, Redford, Ferndale, Taylor, Melvindale and Birmingham join in a single conspiracy is unbelievable. Laughable.

The reason you can blame Coleman for the PM is because without that MFIC we wouldn't have the PM. It is that simple.

No Coleman, no PM.

The PM was a bad idea, poorly executed; but we have it now and if the grumpy gus at the Mackinaw Center doesn't like it, too bad. We have it, we're not going to tear it down, and that is that.

Use it the three times a year you go downtown, enjoy the view and rejoice in the Kreugerands that helped finance the damn thing.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it cost $1.50 to ride? Interestingly, that's the going rate (after many years) that I'm asked for in Detroit; in Ann Arbor, one is only hit up for .50 Seriously, is it still a buck fifty to catch the bus?

Look all cities are flawed. For example, Chicago has shitty transpo at their train station...a person has to schlep their bags several long blocks before catching a Loop or Metra train. They've got nothing decent to eat around there either. The PM is laughable but an endearing joke because it's uniquely ours.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people mover is .50 for a one way trip.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember back in the day I was hoping that they would build a PM track along Woodward all the way up to like 10 Mile. Man I was smoking some good s*** back in them days.

With the slow but steady rebirth of the downtown area, does anyone still hold out hope for the Coleman Caboose?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is there a chance the track could bend?
Not on your life, my Hindu friend."

I really miss The Simpsons (When it was good) and Phil Hartman.

I've always found the PM to be remarkably clean the few times that I've used it, but it just seems so pointless. By the time you walk up to the platform and wait for it to arrive you can get to where you want to go by walking.