Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A 26 mile walk from Hart Plaza to Pontiac « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070817/NEW S05/708170415

Pretty interesting article that discusses a great deal of history.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read the article in todays Freep. Gotta love Bloomfield Hills where are no sidewalks and no bus service. But the landscaping is nice.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would make an excellent book. Would love to read about this in more detail with pics. Thanks for the contribution Tetsua. Detroit should celebrate all of it's grand avenues.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That article was okay... I hoped for something a little more detailed like the Metro Times Outer Drive hike in '04

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=6586

Sounds like fun but I think that stretch north of B-ham would get pretty boring though.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it would be cool to have a marathon that goes from Pontiac to Hart Plaza, considering that it is perfectly suited for one.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look back at my memories of Woodward Ave. from Detroit to Pontiac, I first think of the Vernors plant practically adjacent to the River. Then up the street to Hudsons, and Kerns, Demerys too, the Telenews theatre for news of the day and especially from WW II,, Fyfes for shoes, Grinnells for my music needs, The Professional Building at Peterboro for those dreaded and painful hay fever shots, (watch out for the street cars!),on to the Blvd ( Leli's restaurant for the best veal in town),then the Packard dealership where Uncle Sam sold fancy-pants automobiles, then the McGregor library (where I studied for the '64 Michigan Bar Exam,) but keep going to 10 Moss in HP where I first lived after marriage to Ms. Wonderful,(a/k/a She Who Must Be Obeyed), on to Cunningham's at 7 and Woodward for a chocolate malt, served by my cousin who gave me extra portions, then the Fair Grounds (Shrine Circus and the State Fair).
Cross into Oakland County, first passing Werner's "Last Chance" Bar at 8 Mile, on to Higgins Pontiac in Ferndale to check out the new cars, and Hedges Wigwam for dinner,and next the Zoo for that wonderful ride on a steam engine (donated by the Detroit News,),keep going North to Adrian Cotters Road House, kitty corner to Shrine of the Little Flower for the best frog legs ever served on the planet. Cross Woodward to the Shrine to see the St. Sebastian statute with those arrows in his chest, then on to Birmingham, the Crosley dealership ( my first car), both the Birmingham and Bloomfield Theatere,Bill's barber shop,White Castle AND White Tower, Wilson's Drugs, Bodine's Newstand, Birmingham Eccentric offices, the A and P, Murphy's Standard Station a/k/a Petrol By Murphy, Baughs bike shop ( to get my Schwinn repaired when I took it apart and could not get it back together),continue on to the Fox and Hounds where I had my first illegal drink when they had an Ale House right on the corner.
Cross Long Lake and stop at the Bloomfield Barbecue where the Lions hung out and autographs were freely given, then on to Ted's Drive Inn, which was the turn- around point for those of us who cruised Woodward in the early 50's, )go on but stop at St Josephs Mercy Hospital to visit sick relatives from Pontiac and where Grandmother was the first president of the Auxillary, then cross South Blvd and see the big GM plant with all those trucks already in their camouflage, awaiting assignment during WW II, and FINALLY into Pontiac (where Woodward was called Saginaw Street), pass by Economy Furniture Store with their upstairs big glass window Christmas (awesome) display of Santa and his reindeer (all moving), then into "downtown Pontiac," Gaukler Moving and Storage, family-owned Allied dealer at the Orchard Lake intersection, then going by the Orpheum, Eagle, State, and Oakland theaters to catch the titles on the marquees. Eagle always showed Westerns, Hopalong Cassidy et al).
Cross Huron Street with the old Court House (where grandfather was both a Probate and Circuit Judge) on the left and the HUGE Kresges store on the right.

That's it. Sorry about the length. I have bored you all.But I have covered about 3 decades of memories. I could go on and on,even add a few more spots, but suffice to say there was and is only one Woodward Avenue and we all have our own fond memories of it.
And what more could I ask.It was named after a lawyer. Augustus B.---you da man!!!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Run to the River marathon idea is a great one! Given that the October Detroit Marathon has just about outgrown the possible space for it, I think it's really worth considering.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.