Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Morgan & Wright Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 863
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a postcard today of the Morgan & Wright Building in Detroit. I'd never heard of it, and a Google scan found only that the Auto Show was hosted there in the early 1920s. Does anyone know anything about it? I'm most interested in knowing where it was. I don't have any city directories, and it isn't listed in Ferry's "Buildings of Detroit."
Any help would be appreciated.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3448
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it the Morgan & Wright tire factory (Uniroyal) on E Jefferson?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M&W > U.S. Rubber > Uniroyal.

I don't know if they had offices in another building Downtown, or on Jefferson.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did some searching on the net, didn't find any other address, but I did find this photo of a Lima Shay locomotive that Morgan & Wright had at that plant.

Morgan & Wright Lima Shay locomotive

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 865
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to the picture of the postcard:
http://s152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Detro it%20postcards/Buildings/?acti on=view&current=morgan.jpg

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the plant at 6600 E. Jefferson and E Grand Blvd.

Here's an aerial photo of it from 1931, taken for the boat races.

US Rubber Detroit

wsu/vmc

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 867
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh. I see it now. Postcard didn't have the rest of the action around it, so it didn't LOOK like a factory. Thanks a lot!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, that's an unusual photo. It looks like a composed industrial photo where the right-hand side has been drawn in. Hard to tell from this scan. Still, interesting.

(Message edited by xD_Brklyn on August 18, 2007)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the loco photo was taken for a Lima Locomotive Works publicity thing. You see a lot of photos where the locomotive was retouched, and the background was left alone, making the whole photo look weird. Maybe it looked better when it was printed.

Rhymeswithrawk, those postcard photos have only a small tie to reality; trying to make that foul smelling, smoke spewing place look idyllic. I'm surprised that it wasn't put in a meadow with wild flowers and frolicking milk maidens.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4816
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, now I know why that site near Belle Isle is so polluted. I never fully knew just how big the Uni plant was until now. Thanks for posting the pic!

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never really knew anything about the Uniroyal site. It's too bad the main building was demolished. Does anyone have more pictures?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.