Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Music, Music « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Music, Music, Music,

Take a break from all of those serious discussions.

Teresa Brewer said it more, apropos. “Put another nickel in, in the Nickelodeon, All I want is loving you and music, music, music.” Today, that ‘nickel’ is, perhaps a half a buck, or more.
In the thirties, forties and fifties, we thrived on music in Detroit. No, that is too tepid. We lived for it. It was our bastion of faith!
The radio was our umbilical cord that breathed life into our emotions, from the depths of despair to the heights of ecstasy. Sentimentality, optimism, determination, and occasionally, futility, were addressed by a song or just a few lyrics or maybe the rhythm of a base and drum beat.
That were not many venues of entertainment open to us in the early years. Radio and the Downtown Movie theaters, the Graystone Ballroom, The Savoy on Jefferson, Eastwood Park and Jefferson Beach were the more prominent venues for music and dancing.
Bing Crosby summed up the Depression Years with a recording of, “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime.”
The War Years were buttressed by the Big Bands. MY best pal, Tommy, had an older brother, Phil. Phil had a phenomenal record (78's) collection of about 50 popular recordings. Not many people could afford to buy a 15 cent ‘Bluebird’ record, much less the 25 cent RCA record. RCA was the parent company of Bluebird. But anyway, Phil had a recording of “I Don’t Know Why, I Love You Like I Do” and the flip side was “Don’t Let Julia Fool Ya.” Now doesn’t that warm the cockles of your heart?
I imagine that those fifty songs could be put on one DVD today.
My professional career as a singer ended when I graduated from high school. In my senior class, I was voted, ‘Class Crooner.’ My signature song in that capacity was, “The Hong Kong Blues” written by Hoagy Carmichael. Partial Lyrics follow:
It's the story of a very unfortunate coloured man
Who got arrested down in old Hong Kong
He got twenty years' privilege taken away from him
When he kicked old Buddha's gong
Won't somebody believe
I've a yen to see that Bay again
Everytime I try to leave
Sweet opium won't let me fly away
I need someone to love me
Need somebody to carry me home to San
Francisco
And bury my body there
http://www.absolutelyrics.com/ lyrics/view/george_harrison/ho ng_kong_blues/

Here’s the kicker. This song was banned by the airways for using the word, opium. So ‘sweet opium’ was changed to “loco man.” Those were the days of censorship

I know that many of my peers share one peculiarity of mine. That being this: I can recall many songs, most of the lyrics, the location, the year and the emotional impetus that makes me recall those elements.
For example. In 1940. 12 years old. In my Great Uncle’s Tavern on the St. Mary’s River. I was allowed to stay up in the bar room with all of the ‘happy’ patrons and I was allowed to play my favorite record on the Juke Box, over and over again. To wit:
“Old Budweiser’s a friend of mine, A friend of mine is a friend of thine,
For me there’s no other, I’m telling you brother, Budweiser’s a friend of mine.
(I did not have a clue as to what was a ‘Budweiser.’)
On the flip side was, “Me and Marie.” Just to whet your curiosity I will give you a sample of the lyrics: “You ought to see, little me and Marie, By the old sea side. By the ocean we’d pet, and we’d pet and we’d pet, till we get all wet from the tide. You may have been to Par’ee, and had both of your eyes opened wide, but, you ought to see, me and Marie by the old sea side.
I still blush when I think of those lurid lyrics.
Smile all you young people. Getting old is like the acceleration of a falling body. The farther it falls, the faster it falls.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Teresa was from Toledo. I had a fraternity brother at Michigan who played sax in her band.
And I can remember when "When We're Dancing And Your Dangerously Near Me" was banned on "Your Hit Parade" even though it was #1 on the charts for 4 weeks in a row. NBC considered it "too suggestive". We played it in our high school band, and Father Coughlin never complained.
Typon---Life on the St Marys River in your time ( and mine) was when there was a lot of freighter traffic. I took many a freighter picture at the Rock Cut. Then up to Sugar Island.
You are as young as you feel. So stay young and enjoy it.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "Sweet Violets" was also banned from some broadcasts, although the implications were rather benign.

"There once was a farmer who took a young miss,
In back of the barn where he gave her a.....
Lecture on horses and chickens and eggs,
And told her that she had such beautiful.....
(Chorus)
Sweet violets, sweeter than all the sunshine.... etc"

That's from memory, might be off a word or two....but it's still a cute song.

Tponetom

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock: Falling bodies aside, the more I 'accelerate,' the more I exhilarate. My life in Detroit and Michigan gave me a massive dose of "Dr. Goodjuice." Enough to last me a couple of lifetimes. I have never had time to dwell on the darker side of life.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'36--I know when I recited "There was a man from Nantucket", I was banished from Barnum Jr. High School for a day. Miss Clawson just didn't understand lambic pentameter. Me neither.
Big article on the new Las Vegas shows in the Sunday Free Press today. Only $100 a ticket, but if I sing you a chorus of "Sweet Violets, Sweeter than the ROSES", I am sure you will pop for a couple in the first row for Tponetom and me. He appears to be enjoying life.
I am not convinced that if I drop a 25 pound rock from 100 feet and my neighbor drops a 25 pound rock from 200 feet, his will be going faster than mine when it hits the ground. Where is Sir Isaac when you need him?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roses! Yeah, that's it. Dah.

I'm not much for shows out here, the dang prices have just become out of sight. But I do have front row center tickets for the Andre' Rieu concert on December 7 at the Orleans. I wonder if the maestro would allow me on stage to sing that ditty? Nah.............

Tponetom

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the 100 foot rock hits the ground, the 200 footer will have fallen exactly 100 feet. Any 'body' will fall 144 feet in three seconds. It will fall 576 feet in 6 seconds. Isn't that exciting? (Sans air resistance.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.