Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Camp Dearborn « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason it just popped into my mind. When I was a kid living in the Detroit area, Camp Dearborn was a multiple stop during the summer. I know it's still there. Is it still a good family place to go>?

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I hear it is. They still have fireworks on the 4th and a childrens' fishing derby. There are paddle boats and the beach.

All I've seen and heard is either from clips on Dearborn Cable or from work since I get a lot of misdirected people coming up to me for Camp Dearborn info. But it still looks very family friendly.

Some years ago they sold part of it and that is now a golf course. Personally I think the city should sell or lease the rest of it as well. But then I never use the place. :-)

Here's the website: http://www.campdearborn.com/

(Message edited by elsuperbob on August 18, 2007)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've organized two Class Reunions in the past five years. Both times, we've met for a day at Camp Dearborn and had a great time. We rented one of the shelters for something like $25, cooked out on the grills, watched folks playing softball, some did the paddleboats, etc. I recommend it highly. Nothing fancy, just enjoyable.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last weekend! The infrastructure is a little out of date, but it's still clean and well maintained.
The Village of Milford is currently raising funds for a paved bike path that will connect the dam on the Huron River (In Camp Dearborn) to Main Street. My hope is the success of that trail will lead to a trail connection between Kensington and Camp Dearborn.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 50's , I still can remember everybody chilling their watermelons in the rock-lined water canals they had running through the picnic areas.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5514
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in Detroit, we could only use Camp Dearborn if you got a city pass from somebody.

We got passes and got in, no problem. It was very nice. There was a tenting cmap with huge Army tents from The War. jjaba also remembers small cold streams for chilling watermelons. It was a very nice drive out there and it almost felt like country.

One of the main jobs for the gatekeepers was Keeping Dearoborn Clean, and we all knew what that meant. jjaba's family must have passed the test.

jjaba, Westsider.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 922
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a stretch,,,in the 1960's (prior) to development we used to explore that area...there were undeveloped parts that we could canoe and fish...was that the Huron river, (just outside Kensington) or a stream leading into it....it has been so long ....I remember a railroad running on the side of the bank and a bridge...another stretch lead to a series of ponds and ideas....

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember searching the cracks around the lake for crayfish, and of course the giant rocket ship on the play ground. The icecream stand was a must for the cool kids to hang out without their parents.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran there's not a railroad bordering Kensington or Camp Dearborn (Nor do I think there aver was). But there is an area similar to what you describe just North of Milford and it borders Highland Recreation area. The Huron river does run along the side of Camp Dearborn and is fairly shallow and about 25-35 feet wide.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went with a friend to Camp dearborn in the early 70's I would have been about 11 or 12. It was his father's Masonic lodge picnic, I had never heard of the Masons at that age, knew absolutely nothing. I asked my friend Kenny's dad and his Masonic buddies "what are Masons?" and got a guarded answer, they just said "it's......a, a club. Yeah, just a club that men belong to"

I responded that "my father belongs to a club too"

they looked interested and asked "what club"

I answered "the Lindell athletic Club"

true story. My parents were horrified when I told them after coming home

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3762
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My one and only time there was 50 or 51 years ago. Milford was quite a drive for my parents from Dearborn, considering that there were no interstates and very few freeways anywhere back then.

I fished from a paddle boat--the only bites were from mosquitos. Fishing from the piers was better. But the panfish were so small that all of them were returned.

I do remember the fresh cold water coming through at various locations. There was a sign by one describing the drinking water there as being tastier than Coca-Cola. [It probably came from a well...]

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to my Chiropractor about Camp Dearborn, because he lives in Milford and he says the kids from "Detroit" cause trouble there on field trips and hope they sell it to Milford soon.....I sneered at that one, but I guess you don't see many black folks in the "Milf".

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of ironic that I've been to Camp Dearborn three times in the last five years and those who live there have been maybe once in 30 - 40 years? My last time there was around a VERY "diversified" group with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat on the topic, what are the largest municipal parks in the area? Belle Isle? Rouge Park? Camp Dearborn? I'm thinking those locally-owned, not the county or HCMA parks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.