Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » How to tell when your city has too much money « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 869
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friend sent me this link.
You know, as a Detroiter who has to deal with failing schools, broken-down fire trucks and a shortage of cops, communism sometimes looks like a good idea:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0 8/17/how-to-tell-when-your-com munity-has-too-much-tax-revenu e/

With the lousy economy in Michigan, most towns and cities have been struggling with shrinking revenues from state and local property taxes. All over the state, public employees have been getting laid off. There are, of course exceptions, with Bloomfield Hills north of Detroit being one of them. How many cops have you seen cruising around your neighborhood in $100,000 Cadillac XLR-Vs?

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny but this is a promo car for the Woodward Dream Cruise and just as nice as the new 2007 Corvette that Ferndale is using. They have nothing to do with financial status of a city, just visibility to the classic car drivers and crowd. Neither car is easily outraced which was sure needed last night. Nice touch GM. Thanks.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9880
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will also be a Jaguar decked out to honor slain officers, caught that story yesterday...I'll go look for a link. Pro'ly the Freep.

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a while Troy was using repo'd drug cars, Escalades, Jag's even a Lambo

Dealers also have loaned certain municpalities cars for visibility reasons as well. Especially right now for the Cruise!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.eclipselogistics.co m/

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they would switch to snow plows in the winter...the city could get more bang for the buck.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 881
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a while Troy was using repo'd drug cars, Escalades, Jag's even a Lambo

Wow. That's a GREAT idea. Why not? I mean hell, Novi is using seized drug money to build a gun range. More cities should do that.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 882
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should make an addendum that selling a Lamborghini would be better than turning it into a squad car, but if you're going to get only pennies on the dollar for a sports car at auction...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why not? I mean hell, Novi is using seized drug money to build a gun range. More cities should do that."

Yeah but most cities don't get $6 million plus in drug forfeiture funds.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and some druggies are getting smarter, using junker cars for their business, not ones worthy of police use - or even riding bicycles

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.