Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Is Detroit too Insular? » Archive through August 17, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend was in from out of town, and we planned on a nice lunch followed by a leisurely trek through John King Books. However, we couldn't find anything to eat at 1:00 in the afternoon!

First stop: Avalon Bakery; no sandwiches other than tuna!

Second stop: Greektown; major construction and no parking.

Third stop: Eph McNally's; f*ckin' door's locked at 1:30- apparently, they had a carry out order that wiped 'em out. Huh?!?

Meanwhile, my friend is ranting about this is why he hates Detroit, Chicago is so much better, blah, blah. At this point, I just want to find a bar.

Here I am defending our fair city once again, and I realize he has a point. One really has to know the city to find decent food and drive all over. I know we could have hoofed it around WSU, but things are really scattered. An experience like this makes me feel like one truly has to be an "insider" to find our hidden goodies. What if he had decided to try this on his own? Left me wondering just how unwelcoming this experience was and how insular we are in offering what other major cities have on virtually every block.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes things are scattered. It does help to know. Too bad about Greektown, that probably could have gone over well, just bad timing.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"one truly has to be an "insider" to find our hidden goodies."

Taking this your statement out of context, is usually considered a good thing by many Detroiters and it is what makes Detroit different from Chicago: there isn't a starbucks on every corner to get a sandwich at! Cheers!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally find it part of Detroit's charm. We also have a lack of blonds with big boobs carrying little dogs in purses because of our insular-ness. It makes Detroit different and the city is very unique because of it. I guess in other words I feel like Detroit has more real people, not so many stereotypes walking around.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it horribly provincial and irritating.

It doesn't mean having a Starbucks on every corner. It just means having options.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have taken them to Slows, Honest John's, Mexican Town, etc...etc...etc... Eph McNally's in Corktown is still open, no?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9699
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster, Thank God someone said it! This whole region is provincial to the point of madness. No wonder we are stuck in the position we are in!

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul,

I agree with you re: Starbucks, but part of the charm of city life is serendipity; finding that hidden gem of a place all on your own. I love our city's diversity, but I swear some days you need a guide, pick axe, and miner's helmet to unearth those gems. It shouldn't be that difficult to find lunch other than at Au Bon Pain.

Eph McNally's is still open in general just closed for the hell of it this afternoon.

Guess the food gods were conspiring against us; thanks for letting me vent here!

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely agree with Dial, there is a provincial feel to Detroit. One of my coworkers complains about it often. We both love the city and know its ins and outs but it can be pretty daunting to an outsider. And even an insider occasionally.

It doesn't have to lose its "charm" (if you want to call the auto dependent culture that) to be more cosmopolitan. In fact it could be uniquely cosmopolitan.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly doesn't do the economy there any good to be so scattered. Though I wouldn't want any of those scattered gems to dissapear... Just be filled in between with more gems.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and yes, Johnlodge. It also couldn't hurt for these gems to have a little more competition. Eph Mc's turned away 4 customers in a very blasé manner. I respected their temerity but was also annoyed by the fact that because they're a hip place among few they can just turn people away at the door. It's that big fish in a little pond syndrome; they know people will still seek them out, so they can do whatever they want. The attitude at Eph's really bugged me.

Dialh, you were bold enough to say what I was thinking today; things did seem rather provincial, and it was definitely irritating. Plus, it's all covered up with a veneer of hipness that leaves me even more annoyed. Thank goodness, King Books worked out; I love that place- they're hip and don't even know it.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9868
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl,

I don't know what you're talking about...I went for a run after lunchtime today and stopped into Eph's just after two or three o'clock.

Had their tomato soup and the Dublin Garden sandwich, cup of coffee, and a chat with one of the folk who works there.

She said it was particularly busy...no mention of them having to shut down for a spell.

Curious.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

We were there at 1:30; the place was busy but the front door locked. At least 2 other people tried to get in...we asked someone on a break outside and he turned us all away (with quite a smirk on his mug, I might add). Glad you enjoyed your meal! :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9869
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the co-owners is capable of a power smirk. He might have a wee bit o' the Marquis de Sade in 'im.

I just hate it when something like this happens, though, nobody likes bad PR for some friends. Different when one of 'em earns it, though.

Ugh.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 558
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroit is very provincial, but it's a regional city, not a national one. Most cities I've been to here & abroad that aren't the world cosmopolitan centers will provide that sort of frustration. (Try getting something to eat in ANY town in the UK other than London, B'ham, or Manchester at 7 pm on a Sunday evening -- a no-brainer in even American holes in the wall!)

I kinda feel as if you get what you pay for... I was able to live downtown for 4 years on a teacher's salary... not happening in a Chicago, NYC, or SanFran. Other than expensive car insurance and limited retail hours (like WSU B&N being closed on Sundays!), I enjoyed my life from 2000-2004 so much and was sad when I knew I had to leave.

For next time: How about one of the coney islands, Au Bon Pain, Hard Rock, or (if you drive up Woodward a bit to Midtown) Traffic Jam & Snug? I'm actually impressed with how much culinary options have expanded in Midtown-downtown since I moved away 3 years ago. I remember many a night when I wished there was an ice cream place closer... and before Cafe opened, I longed for a Starbucks. Now there's a Starbucks on my old work route to Cass Tech, there's B&N and Borders downtown... sigh.

I know your frustration, though. A Chicago friend and I had a bad experience @ Baker's Keyboard Lounge in 2002. For my b-day last year, I had a houseful of out of towners, and had regaled them for weeks with tales of Agave. Little did I know that it had closed a month before -- we ended up @ that Irish place in Corktown.

God bless Detroit business owners, though! I'm glad they do what they do.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Provincial, indeed. That's Detroit, for you. So many of the people who live here, who should be the first to realize how many serious problems we have (some of them getting totally out of control,) are so quick to become furiously pissed off anytime anyone dares to go against the Company Line, which is "Detroit is a wonderful city, and if you don't agree, you must be an asshole."

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, I didn't intend to start a city bashing thread, and I've noticed that our whole region could be considered provincial, Ravine.

I agree with English to an extent; we're not (yet) in the major leagues, so it's to be expected. I wholeheartedly will support Detroit business owners, especially independent ones. We just had a bad day, and my friend was left with a poor impression of the city. English, I wouldn't expect to eat at all hours here, but to have a sandwich joint shut you out at lunch time?

I'm glad we have distinct neighborhoods and their restaurants/food but bummed everything is so spread out, and there's no transport beyond the car. I'm sure this has been broached here before, but wouldn't it be great if we at least had trolley service or jitney buses between our food and cultural meccas?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 892
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If McNally's was too full to get in, you could have gone right next door to Foran's for lunch, or you could have gone to the next door after that, the Woodward Coney Island, or you could have gone to the next door after that one, Bangkok Crossing.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if you would have walked around a bit more, you would have had better luck. Instead of driving somewhere, and seeing some thing's not open, you should have walked down the street to something different.

Off the top of my head there's a Jimmy Johns, the Hard Rock Cafe, lafayette (and American) Coney Island, all of Greektown, The Rowland Cafe (although I don't know what they actually serve, or their hours) in the Guardian Building. Except for Greektown the rest is in the same area.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe on a Sunday it's relatively difficult to find something you like, but downtown Detroit has more than enough lunch options during the week.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but I'll ADD to the places listed above - again, not including Greektown - these diverse spots, all of which are within easy walking distance of Eph's:

- Sizz'l-n-Spice
- Checker Bar & Grill
- Jacoby's
- Sweetwater
- Orchid Thai
- Niki's
- The Detroiter
- Loco
- Bellacino's
- Vicente's
- Tom's Oyster Bar
- Baltimore Lunch
- Caucus Club
- Buzz Bar
- Sweet Lorraine's
- Opus One

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the helpful (I could do without the sarcastic one) recommendations...you guys outta write a Zagat's Guide. For now, guess I'll create my own mini-guide and carry it in my wallet.

Really, I'm fairly new again to the city after living in a large city near the East Coast, and I stand by what I said: it shouldn't be that difficult to find a good sandwich for lunch and without your guidance and a map who, not in the know, will "stumble upon" Opus One or Foran's??? As for walking, well it would have felt aimless in the heat & humidity, plus my friend is diabetic- he needed to eat sooner than later. Who in their right mind would pay $8-10 to park and eat at Au Bon Pain or a Hard Rock? Guess we'll have to add a pick your own food feature to that urban farm!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More insider info: Hard Rock will validate your parking so you don't have to pay the $$$.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct when you mention Detroit may be to insular and the main reason for that I believe is what you refer to in your comment: the fact that you were driving everywhere. Paying for parking is problematic when driving a car is the only option to finding something to eat. That is Detroit's major stumbling-block which separates it from many other places.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dude, avalon is a bakery, not a sandwich shop

were you expecting to find a vast array of baked goods at mcnally's?

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 17, 2007)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't the point of my post, but if you want to split hairs...Um, I'm not a dude. You can refer to me as a dame or broad though.

I know Avalon is a bakery; they usually have an assortment of sandwiches.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Oakman girl, do you live or have lived on Oakman?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it any surprise why outsiders would hate coming to Detroit if even a local had a pretty hard time finding a place for lunch in the CBD on a weekday? The CBD being the centerpiece of the city. That doesn't say character to me at all. It is very problematic. Having a walkable district doesn't mean we're trying to be like New York or Chicago.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up near Oakman, Gr. River, and Wyoming.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear Eph McNally's is doing well. I used to eat there a lot when I worked at the Michigan Plaza Building. When we all moved up to the GM Building, I wondered what would happen to Eph's.