Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit suburbs top ten ranking in US speedtraps.. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the cities around the state and the speedtraps. Livonia is downright laughable.

http://www.speedtrap.org/news/ speedtraprelease.html

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nerve of the police!

Enforcing the law!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a fine line between enforcement and harassment in some of these communities. Road-block check-points. Feeling like you're continually under surveillance. Not the type of community I want to live in. Very Orwellian I'd say.

If they were truly doing it to improve the community, good. But many of these are doing it because they need the money and it comes at the expense of your driving record.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to know our publicly funded police forces are using our publicly funded highways as an ATM machine...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5510
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which suburbs are most nasty?
Glad they didn't include Ann Arbor.

Ann Arbor is NOT a Detroit suburb.
Placing it in another category on this list proves it.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3610
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is quite the vague list. Quite generalized.

I fear AA traffic cops more than anything in metro Detroit, so it works out well that I don't have the hassle of a car there 11 out of 12 months.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if Novi police are single-handedly to blame for Michigan suburbs being at the top of that list. Clarkston fuzz will also nab ya.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3613
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I really don't know anything about the cops in OC. I'm guessing they're rough. SCS, HW, and obviously all of the GPs are tough on speeding. Taylor cops are the only ones I notice enforcing speed on I-94, so I keep it slow there.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4818
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sterling Heights and Warren are so so. Does anyone have the stats for the amount of $$$ speeding tickets brings in to each city? Surely it is public information am I right?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Does anyone have the stats for the amount of $$$ speeding tickets brings in to each city?"

That would be interesting to see and also how the timing of it correlates to that community's necessity for revenue.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conspiracy theorists: If you don’t like it, don't drive.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 572
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's to the police for enforcing the speeding laws and keeping us safe!! I for one see nothing wrong with enforcing speed limits, especially when you consider that far more people are killed in speeding related accidents than drunk driving accidents. Are these cities just enforcing the DUI laws for the $MONEY$?
Anyone that bitches about speed traps needs to slow the hell down and show some respect for the community you're driving through.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many speeding accidents actually occur when "slow" drivers stay in the left lane creating a huge train of impatient drivers.

It doesn't matter whether someone is driving 55 or 80. What matters is the amount and flow of the traffic.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This list just isn't accurate. Every driver that has ever gone south knows to watch out for smokeys in Ohio and they aren't even listed.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, jazzstage.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohio isn't anything like it used to be in regard to speedtraps. They have lightened way up.

Georgia used to be a bad one too. These states obviously realized harassing the hell out of drivers doesn't do much for tourism or overall growth.

Just like in the Northern lower here in Michigan, the DNR was harassing the ORV riders, they've cut way back as it was killing the local tourism trade through the summer. You can ride a 4 wheeler/dirtbike anywhere on secondary roads now, just have to where a helmet and have an ORV sticker. All other rules apply, just not restricted to an "ORV trail"

I agree laws and enforcing them is great, but if you over do that, it can adverse effect on an area.

And if we're honest with ourselves and each of us were policed 100%, many of us wouldn't have a drivers license. The facts are all of us break traffic laws, the level of enforcement really determines our success rate at retaining driving privilege.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"especially when you consider that far more people are killed in speeding related accidents than drunk driving accidents."

So what. A certain amount of speeding deaths each year are perfectly acceptable. Sounds harsh, doesn't it? But it's the truth, as I have yet to meet the commuter who supports a maximum speed limit of 5 MPH even though it would certainly result in a traffic fatality rate at or near zero.

If state governments are so opposed to speeding, then they should require automobile manufacturers that wish to do business in their state to limit their vehicles' top speed to the maximum speed allowed in the state...but they would never do anything that f*cking dumb, since speeders are an enormous source of revenue.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3616
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Every time you get on a highway to go 60, 70, or 80 mph, you are acknowledging, or should acknowledge, the fact that death could meet you on that road. At those speeds, and knowing that other drivers are not always predictable and not always at their full capacities, it is a scary possibility.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's usually a Taylor cop between Telegraph and Southfield on I-94 and usually an Allen Park car on Southfield north of I-94.

But it's not speed that kills. It's everything else people do. Why do many of the Europeans have higher speeds and as low or lower death rates on their expressways?

It's how bad American drivers are that kills American drivers. I'd say we are the worst drivers I've seen in driving in Europe and Southeast Michigan has the worst drivers I've seen in driving across the U.S.

It's because we get into our oversized cars and onto our oversized roads that causes the problem. We have no awareness of our surroundings. Especially when we're too busy eating, text messaging and doing all kinds of other things while speeding. In other countries with higher speed limits there are strict rules for those things, the true killers.

I think we need to crack down on those things, not speeding. Also we need to teach how to be better drivers.

Add to that we have some of the worst designed expressways in the developed world and you get more accidents out of that.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's how bad American drivers are that kills American drivers. I'd say we are the worst drivers I've seen in driving in Europe and Southeast Michigan has the worst drivers I've seen in driving across the U.S."

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/109509.html?1187462135

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The term speed trap is bullshit.How is it a trap? In the overwhelming majority of roads and streets and freeways the speed limit is posted.....all over the damn place and more than once......i.e as you drive you will see several speed limit signs.............so how the hell is anyone being trapped?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "The term speed trap is bullshit.How is it a trap?"

One of the definitions of the word "Trap":

"A stratagem for catching or tricking an unwary person."

Like a patrol car with radar on hiding in the bushes or just out of the line of sight. The person is "speed"ing and they get caught in the .. "trap". Hence "speedtrap"

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the officer is handing you your next ticket, consider that he's standing on a planet that's moving 67,000 MPH through space. It adds a different perspective to the experience. :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe then the U.N. should give the earth a ticket for speeding, its making me very dizzy

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nary a DET to AA trip passes without spying a taylor police officer enforcing some stretch of I-94... they got me once... sucked. now i watch myself.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, i think cops chasing people down for speeding is stupid... especially on freeways... i mind it hard to believe that plain speeding is the most dangerous thing... blowing stop signs and lights is WAY worse.. reckless driving is bad, but not going fast...

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 620
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It always amuses me when people cry about getting nailed in a "speed trap".

Here's an idea, don't speed and you won't get caught.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Police Department is starting a plan to send their officers out on foot to catch speeders. Here's the plan:

speed

(WSU archives. Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnk2mch: that's one of the more "kool-aid" statements i've read in a while.

the only safe place to speed is in detroit, where there aren't enough cops to catch you.

i haven't had a speeding ticket since i was 16, but it's ridiculous how some traffic laws are arbitrarily enforced.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when is the last time you saw a bicyclist ticketed for blowing a stop sign?

and i hope you always come to a complete stop when turning left at a flashing red? after all, a flashing red is a stop sign. the green arrow is the only safe time to turn.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9854
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone that bitches about speed traps needs to slow the hell down and show some respect for the community you're driving through.

I drive pretty close to the speed limit. No tickets in a long time. I would however prefer that the police spend time catching/stopping criminals, policing near schools, protecting the community, etc before they spend their time in speed traps, specifically on the freeway.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speed traps do work, oddly enough, but only if the cops are out in force enough to make you think they'll be sitting there.

For instance, I've travelled M-39 enough to know that Allen Park cops are itching to catch you speeding on their stretch of the freeway. I know all the places they sit, which isn't hard: they park their cruisers there so often, there's no sod there, it's just dirt.

And therein lies the point. If a cop sits there so often, and you're aware of it, will you still do 15 MPH over in that stretch of road? Probably not. Most sane people will keep it to the legal limit and then speed up once they're out of that trap. For M-39 northbound, once you pass Rotunda you can floor it and not worry about a cop until it turns back into a surface street.

The downside to speedtraps is that you have people mashing their brakes unexpectedly. This is even more dangerous than the fucking idiots that decide to do five or ten under the limit in the fast lane in perfect driving conditions.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3040
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The District of Columbia came up with a way to enforce speed limits without removing precious police officers from patrol. Based on the success of red light cameras, the District has a fleet of "speed lasers" deployed throughout the city. Some are fixed. Others are mobile.

All I know is that last weekend, my buddy was driving at a good clip through the tunnel in front of the Capitol, and it looked like lightning went off behind him. Pretty objective and effective if you ask me.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For instance, I've travelled M-39 enough to know that Allen Park cops are itching to catch you speeding on their stretch of the freeway. I know all the places they sit, which isn't hard: they park their cruisers there so often, there's no sod there, it's just dirt.

And therein lies the point. If a cop sits there so often, and you're aware of it, will you still do 15 MPH over in that stretch of road? Probably not. Most sane people will keep it to the legal limit and then speed up once they're out of that trap. For M-39 northbound, once you pass Rotunda you can floor it and not worry about a cop until it turns back into a surface street.

Amazing that they haven't changed their game in all these years. Some days they'll put cops on just about every overpass in Allen Park with a laser detector pointing at traffic going both ways. Do they put as much effort into patrolling their surface streets?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6359
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of speed traps. Redford TWP. police are getting bonus pay for written up speeding tickets to motorists. The same trick that Nazi-Livonia is doing it to black folks by means of racial profiling.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People on cell phones driving cars seem far more dangerous then someone doing 32 in a 25.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, explain this uniform in photo.
What's visible? What yr. was photo taken?

jjaba, Ann Arbor is NOT a suburb.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor may not be a suburb, just as Windsor shutters at the thought. Without Detroit both would be a widespot in the road. :-)

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thnk2mch: that's one of the more "kool-aid" statements i've read in a while.

"kool-aid statements?" I don't get how that fits.

I'm no angel on the road, but I'm not at all surprised if I'm ticketed for driving over the posted limit, nor do I feel "trapped". I might not always see the police, but the signs are always there. Not a "trap" in my opinion. More like a sh*t, he got me.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon, it's obvious that any time you speed, you're breaking the law, and can be pulled over. Think about what limit means...

I'm not saying I don't speed...I certainly do. But if I get pulled over, I know it's my own damn fault. I would tend to complain about the fairness of "left on yellow" tickets more than speeding tickets. Cities can only exploit people with "speed traps" because they're too stupid to figure out that it could all be avoided by going the limit.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Detroit considered a "Detroit, Michigan Suburbs"? There are several speedtraps listed in the City proper as well.

I don't think that all of this divisiveness between city and suburbs does any good. We as a community need to take the higher road.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think that all of this divisiveness between city and suburbs does any good. We as a community need to take the higher road.

applause for Detroitplanner

Ray1936

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ray1936, explain this uniform in photo.
What's visible? What yr. was photo taken?"

From the style of the uniform, I'd date it very early 1930s. As to the story behind it, I haven't the foggiest. Just stumbled on it while having an enjoyable evening looking over the WSU archives collection. I don't recall the caption other than it was no help.

Frankly, it kind of ripped me up!

Jimaz

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those disks speakers? That's a very interesting photo!

Jimaz

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Interceptor!

Ray1936

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, where'd you get that picture of me? I was trying to catch up with Jjaba on the Dexter bus, but forgot to flip up the kickstand. Nearly blew the engine.........

Jimaz

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, Hahaha! These old pictures are great fun. They overvalued their then-new technology as we do ours today. Pride cometh before a fall -- off that kickstand.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9891
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that were a pedal bike, he could 'idle' through a decent workout until someone caught his attention...he could do quite a dramatic burn-out.

Work off some of those doughnut-induced calories!

I'd bet those other things were lights, so the feller would be seen in the middle of an intersection.

Wonder if they were red or yellow?! White?

Or was everything REALLY sepia-hued back then?

Jimaz

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lights, yes lights! That may well have been what they were. Good call there, Gannon.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would make lights my guess. That said, there sure are some wonderful old photos on that WSU website. I'm so grateful to them for digitizing them.

Gannon, I bought a pedal bike two years ago, figgered I'd pretend I still had my Detroit Times route. But I forgot that everything out here is uphill and downhill. The downhill was okay, but the uphill wiped me out. So I gave the bike to a neighborhood kid and re-acquainted myself with the TV remote.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lights would be my guess. That said, I sure am grateful to WSU for digitizing all those classic old photos. Between them and Ookpik and Bullet, I'm going back in time every day.

Gannon, I bought a bike two years ago. Thought I'd pretend I still had my Detroit Times route. But I forgot that everything here is uphill or downhill. The downhill was fine, but the uphill wiped me out. So I gave the bike to a neighborhood kid and re-acquainted myself with the TV remote.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that there are no real speed traps around here, but municipal police parked on the freeway or overpasses is usually unnecessary. Nothing for the Taylor police to do on the surface streets and in the neighborhoods? Schools are free of drugs and violence? Deployed as described above they are not the police: they are opportunistic generators of revenue. When freeways passing through municipalities become dangerous or hotbeds of crime I will welcome them, but until then they are just bullies with mustaches.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't get why Taylor cops think it's a priority to catch speeders on I-94. Wouldn't that be more of a job for the state troopers?
BTW, some towns intentionally set speed limits ridiculously low just for this purpose. It's easy to say "don't speed!" until you hit a 25 mph zone that makes absolutely no sense.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.