Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Count Scary or Count Floyd? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the Jazz Fest is doing a Detroit/Chicago showdown I was wondering what you think.

I would think Count Floyd(SCTV) but Count Scary(WDIV) edges him out with the 3d television special. I recall a pretty model with a yo-yo.

EDIT: Thanks to 56packman for reminding me SCTV started in Ontario.

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 18, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count Scary was a local (somewhat lame) attempt to copy Count Floyd, from SCTV. The whole joke about count Floyd was that the character of count Floyd, the cheesy local late night horror movie host was played by the lead anchor (character Floyd Camenbert) on the SCTV (which was a fictional network) evening news, and the station was so small and cheap that the evening anchor had to also be the horror movie host. Could you imagine Bill Bonds having to do the horror movie schitck?
SCTV was filmed in Edmonton, Ontario with a cast from the Toronto Second City club, many of whom went on to have terrific careers--John Candy, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas, Joe Flaherty (who played count Floyd/Floyd Camenbert), Andrea Martin, Martin Short.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 776
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit TV's first horror movie host was The Black Spider, whose show aired on WXYZ in the mid 1950s. Also known as "Honest Eddie Palermo," The Black Spider was a greasy looking character who chain smoked while showing ancient horror and mystery films. The character was played by at least three actors; Leonard Jaslove, Irv Immerman and the late, great Rube Weiss.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6344
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packamn...
quote:

SCTV was filmed in Edmonton, Ontario with a cast from the Toronto Second City club, many of whom went on to have terrific careers--John Candy, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas, Joe Flaherty (who played count Floyd/Floyd Camenbert), Andrea Martin, Martin Short.

1. The show started filming in Toronto, Ontario
2. It later moved to Edmonton, Alberta.
3. Alberta isn't close to Ontario.

:-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scary for Governor!
Scary for Mayor!
Hamtramck!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW--you are right--I'm way off on my Canadian geography with that post. It was coming from Edmonton by the time I caught on, early 80's.
My first season box set of DVDs (which were LONG overdue) went to great lengths to describe how they filmed in Edmonton, no mention of Toronto

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooooooo, SCARY!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ghoul.

"Pluck your magic twanger Froggy!"

"Hiya gang! Hiya, Hiya, Hiya!"

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ghoul for Governor.

Hell! He can't do any worst that who we've got right now?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of The Ghoul....

Here are two photos of The Ghoul that I took a week ago on Saturday, August 11 at the Clawson Down on Main St. Classic Car Show. Thomas Video has sponsored the appearance by The Ghoul.

Ghoul_01

Here's The Ghoul with a young fan (note the kid's "goatee") while Dad rolls video:

ghoul_02

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yes, Froggie is always present at these appearances!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit!

Do you know when they'll schedule another local appearance?

I didn't catch it on his website.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCTV was GREAT! They excelled Saturday Night Live for satirical humor during much of their existence (except for the later years when they went into that lame-o soap opera parody).

Joe Flaherty/Count Floyd gets my nod. As does Mayor Tommy Shanks (John Candy), Lola Heatherton (Catherine O'Hara), Tex 'n Edna (Dave Thomas and Andrea Martin)Bobby Bitman (Eugene Levy) and of cource Bob and Doug McKenzie (Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis).

I'm glad to see they're on DVD. I'll have to check it out.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ghoul or Morgus?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morgus was an original. The Ghoul just rehashed Ernie Anderson's old Ghoulardi schtick. Not very clever.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5138
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My all time favorite show from Count Floyd was "Dr. Tongue's 3-D House of Stewardesses" with 'Smell-o-rama'.

And as Count Floyd used to say in his cheezy Transylvanian accent... "Huwwwww, that's some scary stuff, huh kids?"

Gotta love the 3-D effects (to sound) with Dr. Tongue's brandy snifter projecting forward and back, forward and back...

A true comedy classic!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was that guy who had a character that was just a giant upside down mouth. it wuld sing things like "i vant to bite your hand" count something

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sirgravesghastly.co m/

Sir Graves recently passed away.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2983
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.morgus.com/

Jimaz

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty sad that the FAQ at http://www.sirgravesghastly.co m/ still says that Deming's alive.

Here's a story about his death: Detroit TV movie host ‘Sir Graves Ghastly’ dies at 94.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,
That's probably an oversight on the webmaster's part. The bottom of the home page acknowledges Deming's passing, as does the "Fresh Graves" section. I suggest writing the author to have him clear it up.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keith Milford, the webmaster for sirgravesghastly.com and his vintage Detroit TV and movie board has all but abandoned both sites and doesn't answer his emails any more.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2987
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I emailed him a brief note anyway. Thanks for the suggestion, Waz.

It's still a great website.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Count Scary-isn't Tom Ryan barred from ever appearing as the count because of some copyright issue? I liked his corny schtick as well as the Ghoul's " Instant Parma " .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.