Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hands along Woodward in the rain? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this still supposed to happen?

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the Freep says it's still on for 2pm today

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a little opportunistic politically correct attention grabbing symbolism by a group in an otherwise gearhead crowd?
..or I am being too cynical.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on Woodward, and don't really see anyone congregating on Woodward as yet.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were no hands along Woodward near the old Hudson's site, although there were bells tolling. It was kind of nice. There is definitely a little more street activity than on a normal Sunday, though.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great opportunity for the national press to pick on Detroit again?

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know who you blame this on. The organizers. the rain, or metro Detroit residents.

Did anyone go? Was it a total flop?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to blame the rain for dampening an event two hundred years in the making for a road as metro-wide significant as Woodward.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWJ was reporting that there were about 50 people at 13 and Woodward. Maybe they should have called it hands ACROSS Woodward.

(Message edited by Leland_Palmer on August 19, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were on Woodward about 3 blocks south of 13 Mile Rd., where we stretched hands and yellow police tape leftover from the Dream Cruise for about 4 blocks. A couple neighbors from our block came out, but others who joined us drove over to Woodward from their neighborhoods.

We couldn't hear any church bells, not even from the Shrine about a mile down the road.

Not sure who to blame, but I certainly feel that the event could have been organized better. I got no response to my email registration. And I would have liked to have seen some visible sign about the upcoming Sunday event, like a billboard or two along Woodward Avenue, or one of those rolling billboards up and down Woodward during the preceding week. The weather probably decreased the number of people, but it wasn't the main factor that it didn't really happen.

Still glad that I went out. Met a couple of people and had a nice chat.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 775
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stood just south of Warren with about 70 people, spanning the block from Warren to the Police station. No church bells for us though.

It seemed that media coverage was low for the event, did anyone see anything on the nightly news stations?

The rain obviously pushed people away, but Detroiters are too tough to possibly look like a sissy holding hands with thousands of people.
I don't mind, its worth it for some regional cooperation albeit symbolic.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Braving drizzle in spirit of unity

"A steady drizzle and intermittent showers didn’t keep the much awaited Hands Along Woodward from happening, despite gaps in the human chain along Michigan’s most famous thoroughfare. ..."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070819/NEW S05/70819017/0/NEWS05

Hands Along Woodward marks avenue's 200th birthday

"As church bells tolled the 2 p.m. hour, scores of people along Woodward Avenue stepped into place, reaching for the hands of those next to them.

"Happy anniversary, Woodward,"said one eager participant. ..."

http://www.theoaklandpress.com /stories/081907/loc_2007081915 9.shtml

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 478
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were 70+ people at woodward and jefferson, and we did manage to convince some passers by to join in and had a small group continue on the other side of larned. we didn't hear any bells, though. and i do think the rain didn't help matters, although media coverage was not too good either. it was worth a shot, though, and i am glad that i participated...it was something different and fun :-)

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were about 20 of us outside palmer woods

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070819/VID EO01/70819024

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who in the world had the bone head idea of trying to plan an event that needed as much publicity as possible during the most publicity heavy event of the entire year? Sure, they tried to glom on to the Dream Cruise activity, but anything would be totally drowned out by the Dream Cruise itself.

It's sad really - I think that if they did it on any other weekend so the media could really focus on it, it would have had better turn out, in spite of the rain.

~Liza

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.