Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Psip Passes Away » Archive through August 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4077
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a deep hole in my heart tonight and, I am sure, a very deep hole in this forum's heart. It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of a stellar member of this forum and a great friend and champion of Detroit - Psip.

First off, I extend my deepest sympathies to his brother, and likewise stellar forum member, Hornwrecker and to the family and friends of Psip.

In nearly 2000 posts Psip informed, entertained and enlightened us all with his timely pictures and brilliant posts. Perfectly illustrative of this is what seems to be his last post where he yet again dug up another obscure image, this time a picture of 70's era Detroit TV talk show host Lou Gordon. Post 1988.

In terms of quality of posts Psip set a standard for all to aspire to and that few achieve. Psip informed, entertained and enlightened me in so many ways. I thank him for that and how much he made my world better and more meaningful.

I had the honor of meeting Psip first at the funeral for ItsJeff and then to have a long conversation with him at the wake for ItsJeff at the Fox and Hounds, an event for which he was most instrumental in arranging and a place that was a favorite haunt of his in days past.

I learned of his business of digitizing old video, largely old TV station news footage, many of which he would share off-forum [but couldn't share publicly as much as he would have liked to]. This explains in part the source his vast wealth of knowledge and passion for our beloved Detroit.

My friends this is a great loss to all of us and I am devastated.

With sad thanks to Hornwrecker who wrote the following to me today.

"It is with sadness that I have to tell you of the passing of my brother Zen. He apparently died of a heart attack... He was 56 years old.

"No arrangements have been made as of yet...

"Lowell, if you could post a thread about this, I would be grateful."

Hornwrecker

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences go out to his family.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Likewise.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sad to hear this. Psip was a familiar poster who always had value-added stuff to the threads. He was too young to leave this life. My condolences to his family.

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so sorry to Hornwrecker and family, and close friends. It is devastating to lose somebody close to you.

May peace be with you.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 563
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Psip.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 997
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT?!!

I'm absolutely floored!

Hornwrecker or Lowell, please email me:
crash_nyc at mac dot com

I got to know him through this forum, and I've had quite a bit of non-forum-related contact with him over the past few months. Sharing similar professional interests, we got to know each other via email.

I work as an Editor for AETN (A&E & The History Channel) in NYC, and Zen, being an avid Detroit-centric video historian, provided quite a bit of archival footage for our recent show on The History Channel: "Our Generation: Motown". The associated Producers spoke very highly of him and his professionalism, and I can personally attest to that as well. After a last-minute change in the script, he made an emergency run to WJBK to obtain some critical footage for us, encoded & uploaded it, and helped History Channel complete the show against a tight deadline, in time for air. He was credited as "Walter Media Works" in the end-credits, and he proudly proclaimed that this was his company's first-ever national TV credit. After making such a great first-impression at the network, we were hoping that this would be the start of a long relationship between him and AETN.

After our most recent correspondence (less than a month ago), I had planned to pay him a visit during my next trip back to Detroit....

My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh--I am in total shock. I never got to meet Zen in person, but he and I had some common interests, corresponded off-list and he had sent me many outstanding video clips from the "vault" he was digitizing.
My condolences go to Howrwrecker and other family at this difficult time.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 437
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in Peace brother. You will be missed.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn. Condolences to the family. But hey he did have a really cool name.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God bless you, Zen.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe this. I just spoke to him maybe two weeks ago. We were working on a project looking to get some Detroit television shows transferred. He was so cheerful about everything. This is really too sudden, too sad, and much too early for him and for us. I really can't believe this. He was so excited about his work. You just knew he loved what he was doing.

My sincerest condolences to Hornwrecker, his family, and those who knew him.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4742
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn two forumers w/in the same year...

My condolences are extended as well...

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences to the family

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With sympathy...56...too young. His contributions....more than appreciated.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 915
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Condolences to the family, both immediate and extended.....

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Condolences to Hornwrecker and the rest of his family and friends.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm stunned....

Zen and I have been corresponding by e-mail since Dec. 2005, when he found my local history web site and offered me some photos.

It turned out that we had grown up in the same small town and attended the same grade school, where he was one year ahead of me.

Zen Losin, circa 1961

Zen Losin, circa 1961

Our later "conversations" would include plenty of advice from him about on-line photo archives and also how to go about converting my family videos to digital media. I enjoyed our conversations because of his helpful nature and his sense of humor.

We had a number of common interests and I figured it was only a matter of time before we would meet face-to-face. How wrong that assumption was!

My condolences go out to Hornwrecker and the rest of Zen's family.

(Message edited by Mikeg on August 19, 2007)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5814
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry to hear of this. I also met him at the wake, I was totally enthralled by our conversation and his conversations with others.

My condolences.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll be missed, Psip. Thanks for everything.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May his soul find peace.

Tina

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry to hear about this, I enjoyed his posts and his knowledge of video history.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My deepest sympathies to Zen's family. I also enjoyed his information and insightful posts though I am a relative "newbie".

Life is so short...let us all cherish each and every moment.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker-

I am writing this to let you know what kind of person your brother was and the impact that he had on my perspective of people.

I have been a member of the forum for almost a year and before that I lurked in the background, reading and learning so much from the members of this forum about the wonders of this great city. Psip's posts were always something that I looked forward to reading as his writing, wit and candor was a refreshing blast to the usual dry commentary that occurs here occasionally.

My wife and I had the extra ordinary pleasure of meeting him at our very first FSC at the DBC in April. Zen was even more engaging in person, and I looked forward to seeing and talking with him in the future.

Recently, the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition was graciously allowed used the Forum to ask for volunteers-Zen e-mailed me immediately and wanted on the list.

He wanted to be part of the solution. He wanted to make a difference.

I was looking forward to seeing him at yesterday's workday, as I had e-mailed him on the 8th with the heads-up.

I will always be grateful for having met Zen and knowing him personally.

People like Zen never really leave you, for once you have met them they are always with you.

My most sincere condolences to your family.

PlymouthRes

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Hornwrecker and family,

We are saddened to learn of Zen's death. He was one terrific guy!! Zen was so generous as he reached out to me and other forumers, ready and willing to share information, photos, and video clips on topics that we were personally interested in.

We met in person only a couple of times, and he was a delight to talk to in person. His enthusiasm for and knowledge of the Detroit of our youth was boundless. He will be greatly missed!!

May you take comfort in knowing that he was a truly giving person and that we all appreciated his generosity.

Kathleen and Dave

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences to his family.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly sorry to hear of this significant loss both as an individual and as a valued "forumer".

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11660
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too met him for the first time at ItsJeff's wake, then a few times after. He seemed to be a really great guy, one of whom possessed a wealth of knowledge on Detroit.

I am grateful to have met him, as well as to have had him share some of his work with many of us. His footage was something I will likely never get the chance to see again in my life. Much of which nobody has probably seen in 40+ years, such as Coleman A Young's inaugural speech, Jimmy Hoffa's last public speech, and so many other Detroit moments in history that often get buried in storage boxes and forgot about.

Psip not only seemed to put his heart into his work, he enjoyed sharing that history he uncovered with others. It saddens me to learn of this loss, yet find myself once again very thankful to have had the chance to have met him.

Strangely, if not for ItsJeff's passing, I likely would have never met Psip.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear the news, I wish his family well during this terrible time.