Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Harwell readies plan for Tiger Stadium » Archive through August 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070811/M ETRO/708110393/1003

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really think that this is going to happen after reading this article. Thank you for posting it.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Harwell readies plan for Tiger Stadium."

About time; he (for that matter anyone) has had almost a decade to come up with a viable plan. I guess it actually takes the city starting to go through with its plans of mostly demolishing the whole stadium before anyone takes the city seriously.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9796
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be funny. After the plan fails to gather the financing and requirements in time the city will be villified for tearing thestadium down while nobody will question why Harwell did nothing for 8 years.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess that Harwell felt it wasn't his place to do something all this time. But when push came to shove, he finally stepped up to the plate. I say better late than never.

The saga continues ...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting that the plan Harwell's "team" is proposing is very much like the plan city announced a year ago. I am curious to see what some of the original forumers have to say about Harwell's involvement.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always better when things can be done by private investors, instead of done by the city.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if this will happen or not? I think its too bad they didn't get started on this sooner, it will be interesting to see if they can get those contributions from the musicians, I bet that Seger will be on board but Madonna might be a bit of a stretch? Anyways GO ERNIE!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't see the point of having a 10000 seat stadium except for nostalgia's sake, and if they do it that way, who would want to LIVE in a loft with a 10000 seat stadium as the back yard?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few red flags ... "hoped-for" contributions, people calling all the time wanting to help (I'm guessing with nothing but time to contribute), and that annual revenue stream (foundation donations in a stagnant economy? naming rights for a field that will get no regular national media exposure?)

A couple other components seem creative but potentially non-starters ... office space in Corktown? Maybe. Lofts? Good idea. Museums? Didn't the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame already consider a spot there? A music museum? The lameness overwhelms me.

It's too bad these players didn't get involved sooner. I don't know if its some hero complex they're playing out, coming in at the last minute, or what. It certainly was a no-lose legacy situation for them - save it and you're a hero, fail to save it and you're a hero for trying.

As other posters have said, it would have been nice if they'd been involved even an year ago. It will be interesting to see if this can play out as they'd hoped. It'd be nice to see this effort come into alignment with the current plan somehow, then stuff would really get done.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9800
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can't see the point of having a 10000 seat stadium except for nostalgia's sake, and if they do it that way, who would want to LIVE in a loft with a 10000 seat stadium as the back yard?

If the field is open to residents then I would think it would be pretty neat. Probably not financially feasible but neat all the same.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the plan involves competition with Ilitch's sports teams, this will not happen just like all the other similar plans that have been previously submitted.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone interested in hearing the Tiger Stadium Conservancy plan is welcome to come to the Gaelic League, 2068 Michigan Ave on Wed. 8/15/07 at 7:00

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Avanti has already said they would move I believe as well as potential for college baseball as well as others. If there was a team such as an independent league then I know I myself would buy season tickets. Maybe even start a business ir have a residence. This plan seems to be using many components of many of the past plans and hopefully will generate many new opportunities. I will be interested to see what the conservancy has come up with. I am all for it if it is private development not city money and does not mean the site will be razed and have nothing on it.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Tiger stadium and I don't care for Comerica park at all . I really like Ford field so don't say it's because I don't like anything new . That being said tear it down already - enough is enough , it's getting depressing.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would totally buy a loft with a back porch overlooking the field. It's like having free seats to anything they do there.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can't see the point of having a 10000 seat stadium except for nostalgia's sake, and if they do it that way, who would want to LIVE in a loft with a 10000 seat stadium as the back yard?"

Call me stupid, but I think that it sounds like it would be a sweet place to live. I think that it would be very unique to have a baseball neighborhood...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think that the field facing lofts would be VERY successful... just on nostalgia alone... plus the national press on this project (especially when coupled with BC and Shelby would be TREMENDOUS)

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since it's open season on last-minute plans, I say turn Tigers Stadium into the new Detroit gayborhood.

artist's rendering

* historic preservation of "the corner," the locker rooms, and the trough urinals

* retain the playing field (for lesbian softball) and outfield (dog park)

* gay-quality retail and fabulous dining

* architecturally compelling mixed-use new construction

* Madonna Hall of Fame

I am actively seeking interested investment partners for this once-in-a-lifetime historic redevelopment opportunity! Get more details or contact me through the blog: www.supergaydetroit.com

Besos!

SG

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5088
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And where would those 10,000 people for the ballpark park? Hopefully not Corktown neighborhood lots!

And having a residence very close to a ballpark mean you're more likely to get a ball come crashing thru your window? Or maybe the better question is... just how high of a fence can they put around that field?

Although I hope something CAN happen with his, I am doubtful.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't know what to say to you Supergay. I really don't...

Back on topic, I think any lofts built there would do well and whatever kind of museum or field activities they would have could support the local businesses. JP Morgan's a prety powerful firm. If those guys get on board I dont see how the park could not be saved

How about letting the Detroit sand loy guys paly some games there?

www.detroitsandlot.com

Anyone else seen Tiger Stadiums Myspace page?

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendid=76524233

(Message edited by k-slice on August 14, 2007)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Supergay... awesome! Er, fabulous. The lesbian softball is a nice touch.

quote:

"I can't see the point of having a 10000 seat stadium except for nostalgia's sake, and if they do it that way, who would want to LIVE in a loft with a 10000 seat stadium as the back yard?"

Call me stupid, but I think that it sounds like it would be a sweet place to live. I think that it would be very unique to have a baseball neighborhood...

Yeah, I can see those doing pretty well, actually.

10,000 seats still seems like overkill, I'd say just preserve a minimal number (300-1000) of seats for community events and sandlot/little leagues, something closer to the original Corktown plan. And the "multiple museums" idea sounds like a loser... sure, one museum devoted to the Tigers makes sense, but there needs to be a better mix of things including street-facing retail in there.

Anyhow, at least Harwell's plan is sort of approaching the original Corktown plan. If the debate and efforts shift to these competing plans and other alternatives (e.g. Walmart) are no longer in the running, that's a good thing.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Me! ME! Pick MEEEE! Supersweet!!!

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"And where would those 10,000 people for the ballpark park? Hopefully not Corktown neighborhood lots!

And having a residence very close to a ballpark mean you're more likely to get a ball come crashing thru your window? Or maybe the better question is... just how high of a fence can they put around that field?

Although I hope something CAN happen with his, I am doubtful."

They need the right ARCHITECT for this. Of course my services are available for a small fee.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sure Chase would definitely go for the gay theme.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The corktown meeting tonight was interesting, The conservancy is saying that they will be there own developer for their portion of development and save 300 seats and have their offices above the seats as well as maybe GCDC. Also there may be a small museum for the stadium itself behind the seats at the corner of Michigan and Cochrane. The rest of the development still has no funding or developer but the stadium would be razed without it. It was interesting but still no guarantees on anything.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 15, 2007)

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody ever been to "the mill" in Minneapolis? The milling industry was key to the cities growth. But when the millers realized it was easier to ship dirty grain then clean goods they relocated the mills around the country and shut them down.

In the 1990's some homeless people accidentally caught the biggest mill, "the A Mill" on fire. They were able to save some if it and turned it into an awesome museum of Minneapolis history and the milling industry. It has a "grain elevator" theater, exhibits of machinery and an observation deck that overlooks the river.
It was a serious top notch venue. It was crowded with people all day and there was a wedding starting there as I left.

I think detroit could do something similar and creative with it's great abandoned buildings.

http://www.millcitymuseum.org/

(Message edited by DetroitHabitater on August 15, 2007)

Pmb
Username: Pmb

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As with most plans, except for the Conservancy, there is little to no input requested from the neighborhood. Who is going to play at a 10,000 seat stadium?! Little League or softball leagues at at 10,000 seat stadium?!

And where are they going to park but back in our neighborhood streets and lots?! And all the little lots owned mostly by people outside the city will be left undeveloped again, so they can charge parking money for the 5 big events of the year. This is insane!!!! A neighborhood is being held hostage here! I know we are not the only neighborhood in Detroit going through something like this, but still, enough is enough! I say, take the stadium apart and rebuild it piece by piece on Ernie Harwell's front lawn in Novi!! Or Spice's front lawn!! UGH!! Does my frustration show?!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5116
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's to stop a planned 10,000 seat venue from competing for concerts against JLA, CoPa, Ford Field, the Fox or Masonic... or for that matter a new planned amphitheatre at Hart Plaza?

Lots of "interests" will be against this 10,000 seat plan!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good thing for corktown about harwells plan is that it could still be a community park complete with youth baseball during the day and could have concerts at night which would do wonders for local businesses. Also if a garage as built in one adjacent lot it could solve the parking issue and allow for infill. There would still be room for residential and retail as well as commercial such as avanti. As for strictly a great green space I would say that Roosevelt Park in front of MCS still holds the biggest potential for the Corktown Area and could become a magnificent local park for the area. From going to this meeting tonight it was quite clear to me that no one in Corktown is in love with the conservacy's plan but feel it is the best available option to prevent a vacant lot. If Spicer and Harwell can get the money together the neighborhood would be behind this just as much if not more because it comes complete with funding.