Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Your MI Tax bill may go UP!! » Archive through August 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like some real bad news should it come to be. If you don't want the commentary from Finley, that's fine but at least scroll down to the tables on the right and see how your taxes will increase substantially.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070819/O PINION03/708190347&imw=Y

"Given a choice, why would the best and brightest choose Michigan, with a 9 percent income tax, over Florida, Texas or Tennessee, fast-growing states with no income tax on wages? This ain't California, and it ain't New York City. People won't pay a premium for the privilege of living here."

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's go even further and remove the income limit on Social Security. It's only fair. The more you make, the more you can afford to pay. Believe me, when your making millions, it doesn't hurt the rich to pay more but it sure hurts the poor to pay more.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what happens if they decide to go with the first proposal (which seems pretty fair)? Do they still get chastised for considering all options, even though they didn't go with the second proposal?

Michigan is in a financial crisis right now...I'm happy to pay a little more to help out so we can get past this crisis sooner...

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The graduated rate has been one of the ideas that have been floated about for some time now.

The problem here is that this will require a Constitutional Amendment to the Michigan Constitution to put into effect. The earliest that this can be done is in August of '09. They "need" the money literally yesterday (although given their track record, it would've probably been spent).

I see the following scenario happening: With only nine days working days scheduled in Lansing until the next budget is due (October 1), expect to see someone propose a "continuation" or stop-gap budget.

After this is done, there will be some serious arm-twisting and "soul-searching" to come up with a pathetic rationale to raise our taxes (most likely a "temporary" bump in everyone's rate, since this can be done without a vote of the people).

Now, here's where things get interesting.

If this is done too early, the recall of state officials will take place and they will go on the ballot as early as next year.

If they delay it for just enough, the supporters of the recall will have to wait until the next election window August/November 2009. Oddly enough, when most will be running for re-election.

This places the supporters of a tax hike in a (damned-if-you-do)^2 situation. They can either get voted out of office before their term expires, or during their re-election. Neither one is acceptable to those feeding on the public trough.

Now if one house of the legislature holds firm (i.e. Michigan Senate), then they will actually need to prioritize and make difficult decisions like everyone else has done over the past several years.

The above is the big question mark at the moment.

Stay tuned...

Mcp001

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does SS have to do with the Michigan Budget?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6353
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY GRANHOLM!!!

Raise the taxes to end the deficit. I support any tax hike to ease the budget.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, send your check, payable to the State of Michigan to the Department of the Treasury right this minute.

I'm sure that they will be more than willing to accept your money right away.

Titancub

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raise taxes on the middle/upper class and they'll continue to leave in the droves they already are. Then we'll have high rates on a smaller base, thus the increased rates will have actually destroyed collections for the state. Then, the remaining folks can pay even higher taxes when the middle/upper aren't around anymore.

Relying on penalizing the successful (even the moderately successful in the middle class) leads to an ugly downward spiral.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is supposed to be humorous, right?

Michigan's levels of taxation are a joke. People are leaving because they're not getting SERVICES for their taxes, not because the taxes are too high.

I suppose all of Michigan's high earners are leaving for Delaware, huh?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Republicans on a number of social issues, but when it comes to fiscal policy, they have absolutely no idea what they are doing, which is why I have yet to ever vote for one...

All we ever hear is, "lower taxes!" and "my money!" but they never offer a solution to pay for the things they spend money on...

For example, we have a Republican administration in the white house right now that has run up the largest credit card bill in history while cutting taxes, and all we hear from Republicans is how taxes should be cut even further...seriously, anyone who runs their business like that would be out of business...your costs go up, so you voluntarily lower your revenue?

All they know how to do is dig us into a deeper hole and wait for a Democrat to get elected to fill it back in

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm: "We have to raise taxes or cut servies to balance the budget."

State Repubs: "NO!"

Granholm: "Then supply me with an alternative plan for balancing the budget."

State Repubs: "You're posturing."

State citizens: "I'm moving."

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All we ever hear is, "lower taxes!" and "my money!" but they never offer a solution to pay for the things they spend money on... "

TJ,

Let me help you with this:
Reagan lowered tax "rates" and increased tax "revenues"
Bush lowered tax "rates" and increased tax "revenues"

Don't be fooled. If you want "revenue", you need to provide an attractive tax structure to invest in, thereby attracting capital, building, employment and...you guessed it: More tax Revenue!

The model has been proven over and over again.

Granholm should be hog-tied, rolled in hot tar, sprinkled with feathers and sent back to Canada!

Titancub

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see in the past few years for a fact that the Bush's left-maligned tax cuts have HUGELY boosted tax revenues.

The Repubs have the right idea on the revenue side of things, they've just failed miserably on the spending side - thus frustration w/ them and loss of power in recent years. But make no mistake that the tax cuts spurred huge revenue increases. The Dems have no concept of this or the Laffer curve as they only want to raise taxes higher and higher.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, mine won't be going up based on either of those plans

Mcp001

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, I'll tell you the same thing that I said to Danny above: Open up your own checkbook, and write a check out to the State of Michigan, c/o Department of Treasury.

Likewise, tell all of your friends who feel the same as you do.

And there is absolutely nothing stoping those who live out of state from putting their money where their mouth is as well.

Time's a wastin' people...

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

People won't pay a premium for the privilege of living here.

Then get the f**k out, Nolan! At least now we finally know the logic behind your asinine commentary - you don't like Michigan. You think that it's not worth investing in, so businesses and rich folks who can should milk it for all it's worth and get the hell out, right? Go for it, Nolan; head out to that hotbed of entrepreneurial spirit that is North Dakota, or down to Mississippi, and don't let my foot hit you on the way out!

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should only raise taxes on Detroit citizens, we are obviously already crazy to live in the city that taxes us to death, so we would gladly pay more taxes to the state.

As someone pointed out upper-middle class citizens will continue to leave the state. Maybe we can somehow come up with a program to drive out the lower-class folks.

In all seriousness this is not a good solution to our problems.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcp001:

And I'll repeat myself since you apparently missed it the first time...I'm happy to pay more...there's a budget deficit and it needs to be paid down, and if you don't want to help, then you can leave the state as the last thing I want is some schmuck like you getting a free ride on my dollar...

Mcp001

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but I'm not going anywhere.

I paid enough in taxes as it is, thank you very much, and if our "leadership" cannot live within its means like everyone else...then too bad for them.

I'll also have no qualms about signing and passing around a recall petition should the need arise.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then too bad for them? Uh, I don't think you quite get how this works...we vote them into office, and if they fuck up the budget, it doesn't come out of their pockets, genius...WE suffer, in the form a fewer state services, shitty roads, lousy schools...

And if you're not going anywhere, then you can pony up the dough like the rest of us...I'm sure you must think you're special and therefore exempt from paying what the rest of us pay, but I assure you that you are not

But I'm open to suggestions...please give us your plan for balancing both the state and national budget without taxes...also, please keep it realistic...

Mcp001

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what does the national budget have to do with Michigan?

Every state is in the black except for Michigan.

If you cannot keep track of whose doing what, this will get to be a really short thread.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Both the Michigan and federal budget are in the red...I'm asking you to share with us your solution for putting them back in the black without using taxation...

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 413
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus,

I read an article this week where an army supplier charged the government almost $1,000,000 to ship two 19 cent washers from South Carolina to Texas.

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news ?pid=20601070&sid=a_pIZ20xQxeU &refer=home

"The price the military paid for each item shipped rarely reached $100 and totaled just $68,000 over the six years in contrast to the $20.5 million paid for shipping"

and you want more of my money?

Hells no!!!

I think a way to start balancing state and federal budgets would be to have real business people running them.

The people in charge of finance should also be paid WELL!! They should make enough to not be influenced by special interests and partisan politics.

Responsible spending is the first step. Once that can be proven then start asking for higher taxes.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More wonderfull news. It's true about this increase that it will drive more people out of the state. Alot of people are having a tough time scraping by right now with just one or two jobs. Sorry to sound like such an ass lately. Ive been pissed off alot lately. With the way both sides of the political party here are corrupt, no wonder nothing is getting down here.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the article at the top again before posting.

It is talking about raising the income tax rate here in Michigan.

This little bit of info should help in future discussions.

Now as for Michigan's budget woes, here are my solutions:

- Initiate an immediate freeze on all state employee pay raises.

- Direct the HFA to perform an audit of all positions within the State of Michigan. Those positions not related to any constitutional mandate from our state's constitution will be eliminated immediately.

- Modify the state contracts so that state employees pay an increased cost for their own insurance. It's done in the private sector every day.

- Introduce legislation that any appropriation has to include a citation noting where the authority is derived at from our constitution. All appropriations that do not have constitutional authority are immediately shut down.

- Find out what is wrong with our congressional representation in Washington, and why Michigan is a donor state when it comes to transportation funds. Levin made a big whoop-de-do about bumping up the funding from 90% to 92.5%. Given his sitting on his backside in regards to his inaction on the CAFE legislation that will drive a stake into the heart of the Big Three, the least he could do is bring us up to at least 99%.

- Abolish the prevailing wage laws in Michigan. If someone is willing and able to perform the work, an artificial price floor shouldn't be used to inflate the cost and decreasing our value.

- Quit wasting mosey on new buildings like the new headquarters for the MSP. They are already leasing one at the moment for a more than reasonable amount.

- Permanently eliminate the golden parachute that our elected officials receive for only serving a few years in office (i.e. pension & healthcare). Public service should be a hiatus to ones career and not a career unto itself. Speaking for myself, I'd love to see a significant "administration fee" tacked on to the bennies of any former elected official.

- Eliminate the blank check sent to schools each year for K-16 education. All schools will receive a check tied to a set amount per pupil and can increase only to an amount tied to the rate of inflation which must be first voted on by the public (supermajority needed for approval).

- Eliminate all mass transit funding.

- Adopt a "PayGO" system on the state level similar to that on the federal level. No new programs can be initiated without first abolishing a current program to pay for it or creating a new source of revenue which must be first voted on by the public (supermajority needed for approval).

Next...

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcp001 nailed that one ^^. I'd also support increased use of user fees on state property and services.

Also note that, in the proposals Nolan is referencing, the state marriage penalty is greatly increased.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lower taxes, raise revenue. raise taxes, lose business.

economics 101
you want to generate business transactions, not make people want to go to the underground economy

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 507
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure we can balance the state budget if we all work together and help each other. I'm willing to pay more local taxes to help SMART and I'm sure we can all help out to bring back Michigan.

So, DYer's list your ideas here to help out. For example, helping out at the local school or doing more volunteer work. We should not accept drastic tax increases or government waste.

Ask not what your state can do for you but what you can do for your state.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And all the while the liberal media is trying to villainize the state republicans for trying to protect you from these tax increases. Even worse, the liberals believe the media and vote for the Democrats who are forcing their hands deeper into your pockets.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 282
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Ask not what your state can do for you but what you can do for your state."

We're all doing plenty for our state as it is. With some of the highest state income taxes in the nation PLUS a stiff sales tax and one of the bleakest job pictures to support either. Then on top of it we are surrounded by the richest natural resource in the nation, the great lakes. Which generate (or did) 14.1 Billion dollars a year in revenue from boat registrations, hunting and fishing licenses and other assorted state fees. If these folks can't manage what they're given, don't penalize the citizens further.