Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Art District Needed? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see an art district developed in our city! I know we have the Russell Center but many other galleries are scattered; I don't want to see a Disneyfied SoHo type district but something that has a grittiness to it like in Philadelphia (though that's becoming over-gentrified). I think the Corridor would make a great location. Any other thoughts/ideas/condemnations?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6366
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An art district is being developed on Woodward Ave between Mack/MLK Blvd. and I-375 FWY.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, I just read the Detroit News piece, and it says we're down to 3 galleries. You're sharing some good news, but frankly, I'd rather see it off Woodward. How many galleries are up? Is the city really supportive?

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cass Corridor was an art corridor in the 70's. Galleries, and Cobb's Corner, many artists had spaces on Cass...Stan Dolega, Nancy Pletos, and many other folks whose names escape me created some great stuff.

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://modeldmedia.com/feature s/mazzei10607.aspx

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atperry,

I read that Mazzei piece, thanks. As I see it, we have an art "scene" but not a physical artist district where things are centralized. Maybe it's not really needed, but it is a way to support "mixed-use" development, and I think it sends a positive message for culture in our area if the city officially endorses development of an arts district.

I think the DIA could be more supportive as well, I know we have MOCAD, but think of the exposure for artists in a juried local area artist's show- more people visit the DIA. Toledo Museum of Art holds a tremendously popular local artist's exhibit along with a Salon des Refuses.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the "Detroit is wealthy?" thread I just threw out the question: are we bereft of culture? I'll answer my own question with this:

An art district would be fine, but I feel that it smacks of elitism and cultural imperialism to maintain that regional health and IQ is measured by the number of local art galleries. I trust that "the people" are savvy enough to know what they like and then to support it. I feel that the alternative is the state-supported pablum of the heavily subsidized Neal Deal era (where even someone as untalented with a brush as me could get paid to produce "art").

For my tastes the DIA is sufficient as an "art district."

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought we had an art district.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

f the district idea. the last thing arts should be is compartmentalized.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 21, 2007)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 21, 2007)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see how you might see an art district as a bourgeois construct, but I hardly think it's cultural imperialism; no culture or ethnicity is being shut out. Hell, anyone can sell their art on the street if they so choose. Why is it wrong for the govt. to support (not award grants) arts in our city? As it stands now, our smattering (not all) of art galleries is much more elitist as they pander to suburban $$$ or a "will that painting look good over my sofa mentality".

I don't espouse "compartmentalizing" art, but I do think having a central gallery district (artists can live and create wherever the hell they please) would be a good way to revitalize a small part of the city. The whole art as anarchy thing is trite; artists, whether they admit or not, want to make a living creating- see the Mazzei piece above and rent New York Stories if you're going to romanticize the art world. Sorry, but art is (not saying it should be) a commodity.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At first blush I don't mind the idea of government support for art and artists, but then something offensive will come along and I question why public monies are given to non-essentials that are 180-degrees away from my taste and values. e.g. my POV is that the Joe Louis "Fist" is militant, racist triumphalism, and for me the only redeeming factor is the fact that my taxes did not pay for it ("gift from Sports Illustrated").

So, I say, if "you" want art, then pay for it with private $ and thereby ensure that no tax-payer is offended by a misuse of their money. The metaphorical ice supporting ascetics is too thin to ensure public consensus, so why risk it? I'm sure that haters of lawn jockeys and crucifixes in urine would agree.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go...I knew "Piss Christ" would be mentioned here somewhere. By support, I meant planning an art gallery district; basically building and infrastructure support. End of support.

I also believe that the govt. should financially support arts, but I believe that was recently argued in another thread.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things like this best happen organically, you cant force a district to happen it just sort of happens.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That article in the Freep is BS. Read the editorial by The Detroiter which I fully agree with. From the Russel to the one night shows at Motor City Brewing Works and everything in between. There are dozens on spaces with artwork up in the city.

http://www.thedetroiter.com/b2 evoEditorial/blogs/index.php?t itle=detroit_s_art_coverage_fa des_detroit_new&more=1&c=1&tb= 1&pb=1

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Things like this best happen organically, you cant force a district to happen it just sort of happens.

exactly.

and i personally feel that the milwaulkee junction area is slowly doing just this right now with little to no premeditation. at least in terms of a place with a high concentration of working artists...

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, let's hope it thrives.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, let's hope it thrives.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A viable arts/gallery/culture complex is slowly gelling in the Cultural Center in the area roughly bounded by Kirby, Mack, Cass, Woodward.

When George N'Namdi's gallery complex is finished on Forest that will be a great step in the direction of an arts district. His place will include space for at least 3 other gallery spaces besides his own, plus a coffee shop and bookstore, from what I've read.

In the same block the Arts League is going to build an arts incubator; half a block away on the corner of Woodward and Forest is the Detroit Artists Market. Across the street from DAM is the Ellen Kayrod Gallery; a few blocks away on Cass is the Spiral Collective that includes the Dell Pryor Gallery. On the way to Spiral, the Cass Cafe has its gallery space.

MOCAD is up the street on Woodward; Center Galleries and Elaine Jacob Gallery are in CCS and WSU, respectively, on the other end. CCS also has the Garfield Windows as an exhibition space for installations directly across from MOCAD. The MAX is not only a music venue now, but I understand the are opening up for visual arts exhibits--currently there is a show of paintings by Detroit artist Jon Strand.

More blank spaces will be filled in by that huge apartment/dorm building being constructed by WSU, and the police station will be a Fishbones.

I am very encouraged by this activity; it represents a number of venues that can be accessed by foot traffic. There is a somewhat of a little distance between the DIA on one end and The Max on the other, but if all the venues can coordinate activities and operating hours then it makes the walking trip worth it. Something that can be promoted as a destination for a Saturday or an evening.

It would be great if there was some governmental support for all of this, but I dont want to wait that long, if ever. I had a great conversation last night with a veteran Detroit sculptor who reminded me that the progress and gains made historically around here have been from the grassroots organizations. We discussed the history of the Willis Gallery, the CAID, and the fact that they saw a need and then stepped up to the plate.

My dream is to see the area described above really take off, and then mesh with a similar kind of growth in the Harmonie Park district. I attended an art show opening in the old Intermezzo space, which used to be the Jazzonia Gallery way before that...in fact, it was George N'Namdi who opened this temporary space until his Forest space gets going.

Several of us were talking about how great it would be if this space could remain a gallery, and then the old Detroit Artists Market / Dell Pryor Gallery space across the park could be a gallery again....with those spaces and the clubs surrounding it could really jump again.

I had a studio in Harmonie Park for 10 years when there were a number of galleries surrounding the Park and on Broadway. It was heavenly.

It happened before and it will happen again. It IS happening. That's why I lost my anger and sadness when I read that article in the NEWS about the "fading art scene". That kind of article pops up every 10 years or so, written by people who have not studied the history of this arts community.

(Message edited by Leoqueen on August 21, 2007)

Leoqueen

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Paradise Valley as an arts enclave

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s tories/M/MI_PARADISE_VALLEY_MI OL-?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION=HOME&TE MPLATE=DEFAULT

this is in today's paper

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Leoqueen, for your informative posts. It's great to know this is evolving.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about somewhere on Woodward near the Boston-Edison neighborhood? That seems to be a great area for development and the new website looks very good. Not sure of the buildings that could house galleries, cafes, etc. Nice historic homes for reasonable prices in the area. Maybe the draw of an art district could spurt some positive activity and growth along this area and get something started in the area of restoration. It's a great area with tons of history and, in my opinion, seems to be on the verge of returning. Go for it Oakmangirl!

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SURE, Peachlaser...if I only had the $$$ :-(

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think people are forgetting what's happening over in Woodbridge too. 555 Gallery and 4731, in addition to CAID also form a nice contemporary arts district. And they're in the business district of a nicely residential area that is not in the midst of corporate gentrification. Tons of potential to expand things there.

Leoqueen

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this activity is so exciting! I can see the differrent pods of activity spreading out and intersecting as the blight is cleaned up and replaced with positiveness.

This is what I mean by grassroots. I just dont think that any artificial "business district" can function for the long run like these others can, and will. Grassroots is it, baby!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5791
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally concur with Leoqueen. If we wait for the City to come to our rescue, we'll be doomed. Just seeing and hearing about some of these grassroots movements starting to happen in the City gives us all hope. These community efforts are going to be the building blocks of all things good in the area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.