Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Chicken Dinners « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Forumers,

Friends are coming in this Saturday evening. They had wanted to go to Iva's Chicken up north but there is no time.
Does anyone know where a southern style fried chicken dinner with all the trimmings can be had.
And no KFC, Churchs don't cut it.
Thanks or the help

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose Frankenmuth is too far away also.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kinda a "fast food" style place, but the broasted chicken place on E. Jefferson near chene is delicious.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iva's? Where's that?

Frankenmuth made me think of the Dakota Inn. Not sure if they even serve chicken. I haven't been there in years.

James

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, I haven't tried this yet, but how about the Motown Soul Food Cafe in the Fisher Building?

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Chicken on Telegraph north of Ford Rd. has great broasted chicken.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iva's is in Sterling, MI.

I'm also looking for a place to get sweet & sour chicken. There was a place called Chino Bandito in Phoenix that called it "Jade Red Chicken."

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iva's Chicken Dinners

Address:
Iva's Chicken Dinners
201 Chestnut Street
Box 16
Sterling, MI 48659

Phone: (989) 654-3552

Specialize in southern fried chicken, prepared in an iron skillet, real mashed potatoes, homemade dressings, gravy's and biscuits. Special prepared cole slaw with our own dressing, homemade pies. Open from Jan to Nov. each year. Hours are 11:30 to 8 pm closed on Tuesday.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Mr. Chicken. The potatoes are alright, nothing special. The coleslaw is very fine, but tends to be love-it or hate-it. The chicken is really good, IMO. The ribs are pretty good, too.

I have only gotten carryout from them, and in that sense they are fantastic. If you were looking to a place to go and eat, it may not be the best place in town.

(Message edited by Abracadabra on August 21, 2007)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_Cleo, are you a devoted patron or something more. I agree Iva's is the best chicken I think I've ever had. The coleslaw is to die for and the mashed taters with the biscuit floating in the gravy is ... oh god i need to go up north and get some LOL.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a 2004 MetroTimes article:
quote:

Best chicken dinner
Al-Ameer
29222 Orchard Lake Road, Farmington Hills
248-851-1122

Let’s cut to the chase: The boneless chicken at Al-Ameer’s is the bomb. It should be called, “Succulent Charbroiled Chicken with Lemon and Garlic Sauce.” The meal is served with soup or salad and rice or potatoes and pita fresh out of the oven, too hot to touch, and a plate of pickled vegetables, all for $14.95, or a half order for $9.95. Incidentally, the half order is more than enough for two people for lunch.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chicken shack

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5762
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicken Shack is my choice as well. Every location I go to is always brimming with people waiting for their orders. Not only is their chicken to die for but the broasted potatoes are killer as well.

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guernsey Dairy in Novi has a restaurant with excellent broasted chicken dinners. And a huge variety of ice cream.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5153
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always have to laugh about Frankenmuth. Chicken, although part of the German diet... is NOT a renowned German specialty... in Germany.

Most German specialties are made with pork, beef or veal.

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the places you all mentioned are the bomb.com, but what caught my eye in Tarkus' post was the "southern-style-with-all-the-t rimmings" part.
What comes to my mind is "Beans & Cornbread" over on Northwestern Highway in Southfield.
The chicken is good, and you have all your southern sides to choose from: Yams, Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens, Corn Bread, Hoppin John and what have you.
:-)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try southern fires: http://www.southernfiresrestau rant.com/

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Iva's a few weeks back. While I have had worse meals, I know I've had better. Its not worth the trip. I know if I had not already stopped in Sterling I would have never even considered it.

I'd put my vote with Mr Chicken. There is also a location along Plymouth Road near Inkster.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on August 22, 2007)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 564
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For take out, try The Pizza Place on Ford road in Dearborn. It's really delicious! Also, it's halal, if that matters.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an FYI, we ate at Zingerman's Roadhouse on Saturday night - don't order the chicken!

Ari, we love you but the chicken is not the thing to order.

The Mac and Cheese was fantastic, as was the bread.....

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicken Shack

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll co-sighn on Mr. Chicken too, their broasted chicken is flavored really well :-)

They are right near my favorite BBQ place The Bone Yard :-)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shack Broasted Potatoes that is all you need to know

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden Sunshine, Do you happen to know the address of the Boneyard, I was planning on taking my dad there after a tigers game we are coming for, or do they have a website? His boss used to rave about the place and I told him next time we will go there.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Pizza Place for great take out Chicken. They also have great toasted subs. I'm not that fond of their pizza but everything else is great. I work nearby and go there at least once a week.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love "Shack"
Baby, love "Shack"

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had some fried chicken at a bar called Cheers in Pearl Beach. It was amazingly good!

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banquet Frozen Chicken TV dinner....mmmmmmmm

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get carry-out from the Boneyard all the time, but rarely get the ribs. They're usually too dry for my taste. My favorite for ribs in all the world are Corky's in Memphis. I order them online. They're not cheap but they are soooo good!!

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DBest, Looks like Ramcharger beat me to it!
I haven't been here since friday!
Enjoy your BBQ!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.