Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Who should run for Detroit mayor in 2009? » Archive through August 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ct4life
Username: Ct4life

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I know that the next mayoral election is two years away, but it's time to start talking about it. I'm worried because I'm not hearing any talk of any serious contenders for the position to run against KK. Any thoughts on who you think may throw his or her hat into the ring?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Ken Cockrel Jr may throw his hat in the ring at some point.
Welcome to the forum by the way CT.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 11, 2007)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Covington

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Kilpatrick may not run so you need to think about two candidates. However, if he does run I doubt that anyone will seriously oppose him. Once Detroit voters are used to someone in office they usually stay with that person until that person chooses to not run any more.

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all Detroiters......but they better have someone that doesn't just make promises and then BS the citizens. Oops that has already happened......for years.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5694
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say we get the DetroitYes party going and nominate Lowell.

In Lowell we trust.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6332
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who would run as mayor of Detroit?

1. KING KWAME KILLpatrick.

2. Ken Cockerel Jr.

3. Martha Reeves.

4. Jeffrey Fieger

5. some other white guy.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger Penske

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 755
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some other white guy?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^AGREED

(Message edited by Rfban on August 11, 2007)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 756
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
Will this white guy do?
http://www.blackpeopleloveus.c om/

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 499
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny would make a good mayor. Detroit needs someone to get suburban support to help out Michigan's premier city.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Holy crap, Trainman didn't mention SMART, DDOT, SEMCOG, or Livonia in that post.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 662
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like someone who has strong business/industry background that can attract commercial/economic relationships as well as someone who understands Detroit's problems first-hand; people like Dave Bing or Roger Penske.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That site is hilarious Ed. I joined and gave a testimonial, i'll tell you if they post it

Ct4life

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with the names being mentioned here (Dave Bing, Roger Penske, Geoffery Feiger, etc.) is that none of them actually lives in Detroit, and hence can't seek the office of mayor. It's too bad, because perhaps the people most capable of running the city don't live in the city.

I find it troublesome to see that there don't appear to be any serious contenders for the 2009 election, other than perhaps Ken Cockrel Jr., who I don't believe would be a formidable candidate.

I'll throw out then names of some potential contenders:

- Dr. Jimmy Womack, president of the DPS school board
- Benny Napoleon, former Detroit police chief
- Don Barden (hey, why not? Has the business smarts, and is dedicated to Detroit)

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 420
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!! That site is very funny!

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Womack is a caricature. He preens for the cameras (not that Kilpatrick doesnt) far too much, not a serious candidate. He cant get it right in his present job.

Benny Napoleon lost steam. He shouldve entered the political arena directly after being chief.

Barden has too much $$, Why would he bother?

Of all the candidates mentioned, Penske would have the best odds at winning. Ha has the connections, desire and knowledge in economic development/community activism. And he could garner universal respect with the city council.

BTW. That site is the funniest stuff I've ever seen on the net.

Ct4life

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meaghansdad,

You say that Don Barden "has too much $$". That didn't stop a billionaire New Yorker by the name of Mike Bloomberg from successfully seeking his city's highest office.

Someone like Barden wouldn't run for the money; he'd do it for the challenge of improving his city.

BTW, another person who really should consider running is Barden's wife, Bella Marshall. She's smart, well known in the community, and knows her way around city and county government. Heck, maybe it's time for a woman's touch.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprised that no one has mentioned anyone from the Ilitch clan. Just kidding. I think that people like Roger Penske are great for the city and its communities. There are a lot of people out there like in each of the many neighborhoods in the D. However, would even someone like Penske be good as mayor? I guess I am thinking that I like Penske for who he is and what he is doing right now. His power might actually be diminished in a mayoral position (versus a private position) as the 'red tape' that comes along with the job of mayor.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please dont compare NY and The 313. NY is one of the titans of the world stage AT PRESENT. Financial Markets, Media Conglomerates, Publishing Houses.

I know you want to come to DY and make a name for yourself. Pick another topic, with an argument grounded in logic.
Lest not 4get, Barden sold his company, that served a local demographic, to media titan Comcast, which now monopolizes the city and charges exorbitant rates.

Penske has shown more penchant for actually caring about the 313

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism: Kilpatrick indeed lacks a business background, as he's a career politician. However, if there's one place he hasn't fallen short it is in catering to business and trying to forge ties with commercial interests. He doesn't work for some in business, but his energy has gotten a lot more people in business to open in Detroit, compared to what we had in the 90s.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

royce - Kilpatrick has already announced his 2009 re-election plans

Ct4life

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meaghansdad, chill out a bit, OK. I'm new to the forum.

I'm not comparing the 313 to New York at all. I'm just saying that wealthy men leaving the business world to enter politics is nothing new.

As for Roger Penske, he could be a very effective mayor, but I don't understand why people on the forum keep mentioning his name, because until he relocates from wherever he lives to Detroit, he simply can't run. Let's focus on the people who actually meet the eligibility requirements for being the mayor. That seems like the "logical" thing to do!

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You and I agree,
I wish someone that had nothing to gain from the position would run. Detroit needs leadership that has altruistic values, but who?

I think its only semi-hopeful that we continue to mention Penske's name. He could very easily move into say ..Palmer Woods.

Also, I dont think the current Mayor has been given a fair shake. He was 29(?) when first elected.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a good chance I'll live in Detroit by 2009. I'll vote for Kilpatrick unless someone unbelievable runs.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also, I dont think the current Mayor has been given a fair shake. He was 29(?) when first elected"

Whose fault is it that he was elected at 29?
Then he's elected for a second term.
Seems to me that not too many Detroit residents cared about his ability to run the City. Detroit needed someone who could bail it out of debt, get rid of corrupt management and get Detroit on the straight and narrow. Then....

Remember the Red Navigator?
Remember the huge number of bodyguards?
Remember the cronyism?

Kwame is here to stay, just like Young did.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Freman Hendrix was "too white" to become mayor of Detroit, regardless of the residential requirement, what makes people think Penske, Feiger or Lowell could ever get elected?

Ct4life

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, I disagree. I believe that black voters would elect a white mayor, if the candidate were the right type of person, i.e., someone with strong community ties and a long history of working with the city's black citizens.

Contrary to what you may think, blacks don't necessarily vote on race. Look at South Carolina, for instance, where Hillary Clinton leads by a sizable margin over Barack Obama among black Democrats in the polls.

And even in the city, blacks have supported white elected officials such as (the late) Maryann Mahaffey, Sheila Cockrel, and Bob Ficano.

The problem is, I can't think of a single notable white figure living in the city limits who has the credibility amongst a mostly black constituency to consider a run for mayor.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And even in the city, blacks have supported white elected officials such as (the late) Maryann Mahaffey, Sheila Cockrel, and Bob Ficano.

Strictly name recognition voting. As was the election of Colman Young Jr. I have the feeling that if some guy changed his name to Maryann Mahaffey, he'd get elected.

South Carolina is a long ways from Detroit. In many different ways.

Besides, the phrase "too white" and "a tool of the anti-black-empowerment, Uncle Tom Dennis Archer administration" are not my words. I wasn't the one who brought up the fact that Mr. Hendrix's real name was Helmut. Tactics used during the election. In fact if you search the DY archives you can find quite a few instances of this sentiment:

quote:

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:08 pm:

Pacypacy, in Detroit, if you're black and not the same complexion or darker than Kwame Kilpatrick, you will inevitably be perceived as an Uncle Tom the moment it is discovered by blacks that whites support you. It happened to Archer and it happened to Hendrix. Kilpatrick, however, is immune because you can clearly see that he's black. Black Detroiters will give him the benefit of doubt. A lighter brother won't be seen the same way. His allegiance to his "race" by members of his own race will always be questioned.

Pacypacy, I would have to sit you down over dinner to explain the complexities of what I just said. Just accept it as fact and not beat yourself over the head trying to figure out why Kilpatrick can get away with things that others can't.