Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Neighborhood Noise « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the Cornerstone neighborhood of Detroit....Far East Side.
For the last 6 days a neighbor has been running a very Loud generator non stop. I don't know the people who are running the generator so i'm hesitant to knock on their door. I've called the police and community relations. It seems doubtful that they will do anything. Does anyone know who else I can call or what to do about this. I guess they haven't paid their electrical bill and have taken on the task of being their own power company. Sad but the noise is driving me crazy

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prediction from a cynic...

if "they" blew paying the Edison bill then they're probably not organized enough to keep the gas cans filled. You'll probably have long stretches of silence while the neighbors lazily wonder why the lights have gone out again. Good luck.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9902
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has to be a noise ordinance, you will probably have to file a complaint.

Easier to prompt some scrapper to steal it.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live in the Cornerstone neighborhood of Detroit....Far East Side. For the last 6 days a neighbor has been running a very Loud generator non stop.

Welcome to DetroitYES Skylark. I really do not know what to tell you, maybe this neighbor is growing mass quantities of reefer and have extraordinary electrical consumption needs?

Another DYes user lives over there in Cornerstone and was active here until 3 weeks ago, he went by the user name URBANIZE. He might be a neighbor of yours, do you happen to know him?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they can't pay their electric bill, this means they can't pay for their home. They will foreclose soon enough and the noise will end. In the mean time, keep calling the police after hours. You never know, the generator might get stolen.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If they can't pay their electric bill, this means they can't pay for their home."

Or maybe they decided to pay the mortgage bill instead?

Quozl

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skylark=Urbanize

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your noisy neighbor is at least somewhat techno-savy, as evidenced by the generator. The usual method is to run a long orange extension cord from another house which is much quieter. Of course the orange cord and get pretty hot and ignite. Electricity is a bitch--it's yor best friend or your worst enemy.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait utill about 4 am or so and top off their fuel tank with water. The fuel line will give you enough time to get away and you're just about guaranteed at least a night of sleep, perhaps more.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine running a generator 24/7 at today's gas prices is cheaper than paying DTE.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say, where is the Cornerstone neighborhood exactly?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Say, where is the Cornerstone neighborhood exactly?

Directions:
1) Head to the Far East Side
2) Follow after the sounds of the generator

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Everyone, amazingly a few hours after I posted my plea for
help the generator STOPPED! Peace and quiet has been restored
to my Cornerstone neighborhood. For those wondering where
Cornerstone is.....it's the St John Hospital/Balduck Park area on
Detroit's far eastside. I don't know why they stopped the generator
but I'm happy that they did. It must be the magic of the Discuss
Detroit Forum......anyway thanx for you comments and suggestions.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, I used to live in that area, on Gateshead.
Never heard it called Cornerstone, but my cousin called it "Copper Canyon".

Quozl

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend that lived over there on Lafontaine near Frankfort, she always called it Urbanizemont, kind of like Grandmont but on the east side.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skylark, no problem. I made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5168
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only been known as Cornerstone Village for a few months. Before that it was known as O.N.E. (Organized Neighbors East). With East English Village next door, they decided to change their name to a more meaningful name. And since that neighborhood is in a corner of the city, hence the name change.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5800
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mystical powers of DetroitYes.com works once more!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.