Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 1980's Downtown Restaurants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The “Bull Market Bar/Restaurant” thread provoked me to go to my old Detroit magazines to see if I could find a review of that place. No luck, but I got caught up looking at the restaurant listings in the city and seeing what’s still there and what’s not. I thought some of you might enjoy taking a look, too.

This list comes from the restaurant listing in Detroit Monthly magazine in May of 1986 (the earliest issue I could find without digging too far). This is all that showed up in the “Downtown” section, and you will see that the entries range about a mile outside of the CBD. However their list is by no means complete – Money Tree, Sweetwater, Rhinoceros, The Sheik and Vivio’s are missing for starters. 12 of the 34 properties listed are still in business; probably not a bad percentage considering turnover in the restaurant industry, not to mention changes in Detroit since ’86.

I tried to provide a current status of the properties, but I missed some and probably made mistakes on others. I will leave it to more savvy forumers to fill in the blanks. Bon appetit.

Name1985 Location (from mag.)Status
American and Lafayette Coney Islands116 and 118 W. LafayetteStill there (of course!)
Anchor Bar525 W. Lafayette in the Shelby HotelMoved to 450 W. Fort
Benno’s1436 BrushClosed. Became Courthouse Brasserie, which also closed. Benno’s moved to Royal Oak for a while.
Britt’s Café at Silver’sCongress at ShelbyClosed.
Brothers Bar-B-Que581 E. Jefferson at St. AntoineClosed. Now Nathan’s Deli
Buhl Café BarBuhl BuildingClosed
Caucus Club150 W. CongressClosed
ColonnadeLower levels of Penobscot and First Federal BuildingsClosed
Dionysos300 Tower of RenCenClosed
Elaine’sIn Hotel PontchartrainClosed. I believe it was Mesquite Creek for a while in the 90’s
Flood’s731 St. AntoineStill there
Galligan’s519 E. Jefferson at BeaubienClosed. Now Tom’s Oyster Bar.
International Restaurant561 MonroeClosed. Now Monroe Street Cafe
Jacoby’s624 BrushStill there
Joe Muer’s2000 GratiotClosed. Demolished.
La FontaineIn the Westin Hotel, RenCenClosed
Lager House1254 MichiganStill there
Laikon Café569 MonroeStill there
Lansdowne201 AtwaterClosed (where did they move that barge, anyway?)
Lindell AC1310 Cass at MichiganClosed. Demolished to make way for Rosa Parks Transit Center
Little Harry’s2681 E. JeffersonClosed. Demolished. Now an IHOP
London Chop House155 W. CongressClosed
Louisiana Creole Gumbo2053 GratiotStill there
Mykonos Supper Club454 E. LafayetteClosed. Now the Bouzouki (did Kellafinos own Mykonos, too?)
Nemo’s Bar1384 MichiganStill there
New Hellas583 MonroeStill there
Niki’s Pizza735 BeaubienStill there
1940 Chop House1940 E. JeffersonClosed. Became Emmanuel Steward’s place then closed again. Now vacant
Pontchartrain Wine Cellars234 W. Larned at ShelbyClosed. Now Envy
Roma Café3401 RiopelleStill there
Soup Kitchen Saloon1585 FranklinClosed, then burned down
333 East333 E. Jefferson in Omni HotelClosed. Now Sweet Lorraine’s(?)
Woodbridge Tavern289 St. AubinClosed. Became the Stinky Rose, then burned down

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the Caucus Club close? I saw that it was open in May.

Same for the steak place on Grand River (1940 or the London... cannot remember). I ate there about a year ago.

An off-duty State Trooper was shot and killed in an armed robbery outside of the Landsdowne. Cannot really say, but guess that this kind of publicity didn't do much to reverse negative perceptions of CBD.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim's garage was still there in the fall of '85.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caucus Club is still open.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carls chop House

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money Tree is not on that list. Worked there for a year. Great restaurant!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't The Pegasus around in 1986? As part of Trapper's Alley?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it was John.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9859
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig - KenP's comment was addressed to you. Carl's is the place on Grand River.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw that the caucus club was open last month. did it close? i had heard rumors that they were going to...

the landsdowne got pulled to erie pennsylvania. from boatnerd:
quote:

Specialty Restaurants had planned to turn the vessel -- in Erie since 1999 and docked at the pier since 2003 -- into a 22,000-square-foot restaurant that would have included an outdoor patio and two banquet rooms. But those plans fell through when Specialty did not secure funding. Even so, the barge didn't leave. Specialty officials told the Erie Times-News in September 2004 that the Lansdowne would depart in spring 2005 for Toronto, where it would become a restaurant. That never happened.

November 1999: The Lansdowne arrives in Erie.
March 2001: Specialty Restaurants Corp. of Anaheim, Calif., announces plans to convert the barge into a floating restaurant and banquet facility.
May 2002: Work begins on the restaurant; the barge is stripped down to its iron shell.
March 2003: After delays and a lack of funding, the project is abandoned.
December 2005: The Lansdowne sinks, with most of the vessel resting on the bottom of Presque Isle Bay.

Upcoming: Before the sinking, Specialty had been told it must move the barge out of Presque Isle Bay by March 1 because of the ongoing construction of the bay front convention center. It is not known yet whether the barge can be repaired.

from 12/28/05

i had heard that they did raise it, but am not sure what happened to it after that. it is stripped down to it's structural girders and two rail cars, so unfortunately there's not too much left of her.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Top of the Flame was still open in 1980's

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Top of the Flame thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/80333.html?1157316 376

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caucus Club is alive and well.

http://www.caucusclubdetroit.c om/index.htm

Craig

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl's it was. I could imagine how it was probably the sh*t back in the day, but I was not impressed (and I'm not a food snob).

Waz is right, though, right? Restaurants come and go, meaning heavy casualties across 20 years is not necessarily a sign of the apocalypse.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5775
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was really hoping for the 1940 Chop House to succeed. I thought it was a great location and really could've been something.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had seen the restaurant 'Congress' mentioned in Hour Detroit, and I visited for lunch during the auto show--I think two years back. I later heard it closed, and the last time I drove down Congress I didn't notice anything going on there. I believe it was on the corner of Congress & Shelby. Does anyone know if there is anything there now?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Chin Tiki's open during part of the 80's?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schwitzers(sp) east of the Ren Cen. It was also Captains.
Hardees in the Grand Trunk building.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacifico's Cafe and Galligans on Beaubian

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 811
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recall a bungee jumping accident connected with the Lansdowne? It may have been a club that operated out of that barge in the early 90's. If I remember the news reports correctly they had a large crane adjacent to the barge which enabled people to bungee jump a relatively short distance.

(Message edited by rjk on August 22, 2007)

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 675
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Lansdowne but not the incident.

Damn, the 80's were good for downtown, damn shame it died down to nothingness.

Pacifico's was my choice to chill.
So was Nikki's Pizza until they started with their racist crap.Too Bad, good food, great atomoshpere.

the good rev

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6378
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tres Vite Restuarant, located inside the Fox Theatre Building, Closed now Eduado's Bar and Grille.

Danny

Post Number: 6379
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elmwood Bar and Grille original location Woodward Ave. The whole building was saved from demolition and then moved to Brush and Elisabeth street the building and all.

Danny

Post Number: 6380
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chin Tiki Restaurant and Bar located in Cass Ave. closed reopened one time for Eminem's movie 8 Mile now currently closed and vacant.

Danny

Post Number: 6381
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corner Coney Island, located on Grand River Ave. and Griswold St. closed; new owners kick them out for building rehabilitation for "PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY" building is still vacant.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May not have been downtown (and it may be a rumor) but...

I was told there was once a Restaurant in or near a Salt mine in Detroit?

Anyone ever heard of that?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5776
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chin Tiki was actually opened up on very RARE occasions within the last few years for private tours. It wasn't until the Chin family was on the verge of selling the place that the lawyers told them not to offer the tours anymore. I can only imagine how grand that place must've been during its heyday, but then that could've been said for a lot of these places as well.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H&N system--Woodward between Montcalm and Columbia

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forbidden City on Second near Temple was a favorite of ours. And yes, Chin Tiki was gorgeous. I seem to remember a waterfall in the lobby.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5782
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a waterfall in the lobby in the Chin Tiki. It was adjacent to the bar that was to the left once you walked in. I wonder what's left of it now. Although I did hear a rumor awhile back that the family that owned the place stockpiled a fair amount of the supposed artifacts away. What they'll do with some of that stuff is anyone's guess.

Craig

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Congress, as I knew it, was downstairs just off of the corner at Congress & Shelby. Closed now, and I understand why: food was so-so, and happy hour was usually just me and a couple of buddies sitting at the loooong bar drinking $1.50 long-necks. A cool-looking place, though: brought to mind what downtown must have been like when all of the office buildings were filled (just think - someone's doing happy hour at an Applebees off of 275 while the old places are closing).

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Rhino?

Also, I think there was a Kyoto Steakhouse in the RenCen in the 80's.

Anyone have a picture of the 1940 Chophouse? I totally forgot about that place and can't remember what it looked like, though I drove by it almost every day for three years. I'm not that observant.

Lansdowne memory: Prince threw a semi-private party there when he was in town for the Purple Rain tour. I believe that Duke Fakir from the Four Tops had a stake in that place. Anyone?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a bar called the "Baja Beach Club" in the Lansdowne? I used to go to the one in Chicago. All the barmaids wore bikinis.

Also, what was the name of the restaurant that was in Hart Plaza? The "Down-Under" seems to ring a bell, but I don't really remember. It was very popular when it first opened, but that didn't last long.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on August 23, 2007)

Gamblingabes
Username: Gamblingabes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to work at the Down-Under in the early 80's.
Was a happening joint during the Ethnic Festivals.
Owner(s) also ran or owned "Doug's Body Shop" in
pre-fab Ferndale.

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you may not consider these as restaurants, but I do.

Burger King (in the Old Greyhound Terminal)

Hardee's (in or near the olde Building)

2 McDonald's at the same time (Congress & Shelby and in Capital Park in what is Theodore's)

Taco Bell (my favorite - where the new parking garage for the Book Cadillac is being built)

Arby's (in the Holiday Express)

rumor had it that most failed because they couldn't meet the franchise demands for operation hours. For instance Taco Bell was very busy M-F 11am-2pm but could not justify being open late at night or on the weekends.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was that donut place that was on several corners downtown?

Also, Shapiro's, the drug store with a lunch counter in the First National Building. I can still hear Helen calling the orders, "Special Basted, Special Scrambled, wheat toast!"

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ren Cen had a bunch of choices -- French (LaFontaine), Japanese (Kyoto), Dionysos (Greek), a Chinese place, even a Nemo's. Plus a Big boys, Bagel Nosh. Quite a bit different than now.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig--the food was definitely average, but I thought the ambience made up for it. It was subterranean (are there even any other truly underground restaurants downtown?) and the bar, booths, and the whole decor were very cool. I was hoping it would survive. Izzadore-I believe the restaurant near a salt mine you are referring to is probably that Italian one on Oakwood. I think it's called Giovanni's.

Downtownguy

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe, the donut places were Quickies. They had the best cinnamon rolls.

Other restaurants: Victor Lim's on Grand Circus Park, which then became the On Stage in the mid 80s. In Bricktown, three restaurants in the same building at Larned and Brush: La Marmite, a great, romantic place in the basement; Bricktown Bar & Grill on the main floor; and there was a Mexican restaurant upstairs--the name escapes me.

In Harmonie Park, another great romantic place was Casablanca's, with great views of Harmonie Park from the front tables. I was devastated the day it burned down.

In Rivertown, the Rivertown Saloon, Taboo nightclub, and a bit further down, Andrews on the Corner (still there), the Rattlesnake Club (also still there) and Dunleavys.

Trapper's Alley had the food court--rather bland--but at least someplace you could find sushi and Indian food for a while. And, my fav, The Blue Nile, which now is in Ferndale.

Miss them all. :-(

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4084
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the name of the rotating restaurant at the top of the Ren Cen?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Summit!!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are, Kathleen. The Summit. Expensive as all get out, food was a C plus, but with that revolving floor, an excellent view of the city, especially at night.
For those who liked great German food right at ground level, Schweitzers was wonderful.
And let's not forget the Ponchartrain Wine Cellars, Joe and Molly Beyer your hosts.
And I would be remiss, if for the 4000th time, I did not at least mention that Detroit institution, the London Chop House. Always will be #1 in my book.The LCH takes the cake. Carlos the bar tender, Ollie greeting you at the coat check, the Grubers were your hosts. Booth #1 always reserved for some big wig.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ren Cen also had an Olga's and a Kerby's Koney Island Inn. There was also a hideous looking Burger King next to something called the Creation Station.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansdowne

Both photos I think were from Boatnerd

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Checker Bar, home to great hamburgers and cheeseburgers. And another place near that, Borgs I think, with really good potato salad and tuna salad sandwiches.

I still miss some of those chef's salads from Buhl Cafe Bar and the Savoyard Club.

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't really a restaurant, but there was a great deli and gourmet shop on Brush Street in the 80's. Does anyone remember it's name?

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to The Sheik with my parents when I was small, they had a signed picture of Jamie Farr on the wall, I guess mash was still popular back then...where exactly was it located, and when did it close?...does anybody know?

Downtownguy

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^I seem to remember The Sheik somewhere on or near the Monroe block. I think it closed in the late 80s.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ja1mz! I was trying to remember The Sheik!! I think the restaurant was located on Randolph on the block just north of the Wayne County Building.

Downtownguy

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, you may be right. Was it on Lafayette across from where the Greektown Casino parking garage is now?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pharmer, 2010 Elizabeth's?

Can't forget the Scnelli Deli and Otto's

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still around in the early 80's I think... Gus's Coney on Woodward.

They were 2 blocks north of the Spirit of Detroit.

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Downtownguy is correct, The Sheik was on Lafayette.

Two more favorites: The Harlequin Cafe, and Van Dyke Place.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, The Sheik was on the block bounded by Randolph (west), Lafayette (north), Brush(east), and Fort St. E. (south).

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tasty Bar BQ, corner of Woodward and Milwaukee. Lot of police ate there.

Pharmer_b

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner:
Thanks for reminding me about 2010 Elizabeth, but there was another place on Brush Street, a few blocks up from Monroe. They had an excellent selection of cheeses, salads, and other deli items.

Downtownguy

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pharmer, the restaurant Detroitplanner refers to was called The Elizabeth Street Cafe. In the same building was a gift shop called 2110 Elizabeth's which was the address of the shop (actually 2110 John R. at the corner of Elizabeth) and there was a florist at the other end of the building called Ludy's. Before the folks opened it as Elizabeth Street Cafe, Sarah McKay of Sarah's at Silvers ran a restaurant there. The name of her place, as so many do, escapes me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.