Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old navy closing on woodward & 9 mile? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sc00by9999
Username: Sc00by9999

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving by the old navy off woodward and 9 mile and noticed it was closing. This was the cornerstone for the shopping in the area for a long while, always busy when Ive been in there. Is it moving, or what? Is there anything planned to take its place? That would seem to be a prime spot to be.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be interesting, as it did always seem to be busy (I used to live right there). Maybe Old Navy is getting out of the outlet business?

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer! I shop at that Old Navy all the time. And yes, it's always very busy there.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm...I used to live kitty corner from that one and never really saw it very busy...definitely seemed like and odd location for that type of store...I always wondered how how they were able to survive...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5783
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go right before school starts and that place was always hopping. It's been there for years and will be odd not to see it there soon.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6385
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Navy closed due to a lack of business sales. It comes to show that corporate competition is still in the works.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the jerky landlord raised the rent.

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A while ago, they fenced off the Woodward entrance and added some sort of pole barricade on the sidewalk. Made it look very "institutionalized". So much so that I nicknamed it the "Ferndale Gulag".

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Navy and its parent Gap are in some significant trouble. Nationwide, Steve and Barry's has been taking over Old Navy's space in malls.

Not saying that this is the reason that this store is closing. But it's along the lines of a Blockbuster Video closing.

(Message edited by sharmaal on August 23, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully someone new will move in there and actually build a store that faces the street!

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were changing from an Old Navy Outlet to a regular Old Navy. But I could be wrong.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not seen that location busy in a year or so...Heck, if it were i doubt they would be closing.

I'm glad they are closing...That is a great location for something other then an Old freaking Navy...Barns and Noble might work or maybe a Urban Outfiter...Who knows?

What do you think Ferndale needs at that location?
On the same note, I always thought the DOC (a few stores south) was a bit out of place...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure they are closing? They are remodeling the front entrance, and have had it barracaded for some time as the work is going on. I was there only last week, but you have to go in the rear entrance. Did you see a sign or something? I'll have to check it out on my way home today.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also was there last week and the cashier told me they were closing sometime in late September.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was always an inhospitable place to shop...maybe it was the parking lot?

Anyway, I'd love to see a vintage clothing store open there along the lines of the former Penny- Pinchers that was in Allen Park/Southgate. I loved the handmade signs in the dressing room reminding their more zaftig customers not to force themselves into the clothes, but to drink some Slimfast instead. So wicked. (I'm not teeny-tiny and could still appreciate that one.)

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is converting from an outlet to a normal Old Navy. Nothing shocking or spectacular.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn, I was hoping for a Dave n' Busters.

Zap zap, blam!

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey,how do you know that to be true?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sources please...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a movie theater on that corner, years ago?

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio City Theater.

25 cents admission, 10 cents for popcorn and pop.

Two features plus cartoons and previews.

Spent many a Saturday there.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why exactly would Old Navy need an outlet store? Everything in there is already dirt cheap...

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it being an F&M with a McDonalds next door. It was such an ugly corner back then.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know... I was getting some sweet jeans there for under $20 though. I hope they don't go up.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 910
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federal's Department Store was exactly on that corner.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is converting from an outlet to a normal Old Navy."

Ferndale rises!

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F&M was on Nine Mile at the intersection of Allen. I believe it is now a Gay/Lesbian center.

Radio City was the second building north of the corner.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before becoming an Old Navy outlet it was the Gap outlet.

I did all my high school shopping there because they carried stuff regular Gap didn't.

Lots of black and plaids.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, clarification: according to the head of the Ferndale DDA, the site is locally owned and leased to the Gap, which owns Old Navy and which planned to convert it to a regular Old Navy store. However, the owner of the building, which includes the now-defunct Coffee Beanery, Radio Shack, GNC and a hair salon, has instead decided to renovate the property, which means Old Navy is now closing for good. Whether its replacement is a regular Old Navy or another tenant is entirely up to the timetable of the owner's renovation plans, which are still not entirely clear.

In other words, nothing will be there for at least a while.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's that line about mass transit equaling economic growth again? It's such a hard concept, I'm totally blanking.

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if we should expect GNC and Radio Shack to fold up shop, too? Better hurry up there and grab some capacitors and muscle drink mix...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9865
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it was from too much theft and employee theft. Anyone that questions me will be wrong and I will be right. No other factors played a role in this.

Oh wait, it said Ferndale. Carry on. :-)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^LOL.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wait, it said Ferndale. Carry on.

So the real reason must be that it's below 16...

Lfrac88
Username: Lfrac88

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy that it's closing and being renovated- it is possibly the ugliest corner development I have ever seen, especially compared to how vibrant the rest of Ferndale is.

And as to it closing because of employee theft- I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I overheard two teenagers talking at a gas station, one of them complaining that the Old Navy which she worked at (the Ferndale location) was too strict since she got yelled at about her cash drawer being under balance at the end of her shift.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4837
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, who wears Old Navy anymore besides people in Assville Kansas? Reminds me of Eddie Bauer and all that shit from the late 90's.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5801
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really haven't noticed nor paid attention to jean manufacturers since Gloria Vanderbilt, Sasson, Girbaud and Calvin Kleins back in the late 80's/ early 90's. Why look at the stitching when what's in them could be much more enticing? Denim is denim.

Whether it's Old Navy, Old Navy Outlet or something else goes into that location I hope it's something good. It's prime retail space and why waste it.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H&M might do well for all the "hip" Ferdalies and/or Royal Oakers.

Barns and Noble would work for me.

Maybe they could pack in another car dealership…they always look great!!!

Once a store becomes anchored in, Ferndale should look to spread the development. Possibly start an onslaught on Hilton and W 9 mile...Ferndale is much greater then 9 and Woodward.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jesus, who wears Old Navy anymore besides people in Assville Kansas? Reminds me of Eddie Bauer and all that shit from the late 90's."

:,(

I'm wearing some right now. BOOOHOOO I'm so not cool.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read the owners of the Shoppes at Gateway Park is trying to persuade Barnes & Noble to join the new mall.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't that be rich? The city stealing retail from a suburb?

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL - Johnlodge.

Proudly wearing my "O.N. Assville Boot Cuts" right now :-)

Perhaps now I'll have to visit the Detroit and Ferndale meet-ups as I'll be moving to 9 & Woodward area (Cambourne - east side of Woodward) in late September - excited!)

Any mixed retail (with some exception)would be welcomed at that corner - they have done a great job thus far - especially with the retail mix on 9 Mile.

Cheers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.