Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Distracted Attorney Kills Woman Near Wayne State « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9905
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 is reporting this story of a woman and man hit by a car while crossing the Lodge overpass at Warren.

The man is in critical condition, the woman died on the scene.

Not paying attention. I'm sure that defense will hold up.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second death there this Summer. That was where that poor woman in a wheel chair got rundown by the car thieves. It seems that car town has a lot to learn before it can become more pedestrian friendly. Every time I ride my bike there is usually some idiot yelling at me that I need to be on the sidewalk, not on the road in thier way.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a Brougham? I haven't seen one of those in years.....

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee Whiz Cambiran - I know in Seattle it almost seems as if they are anti-car.
Bikers & Pedestrians clearly have priority.
Bikers are NOT allowed on sidewalks here.
Pedestrians are not conditioned to run across the street like I am - they take their time, and the cars wait.
I get scared, cause it is VERY easy to hit someone if you are not used to driving out here.
Walkers and bikers DON'T STOP! They assume that you are watching for them - and I have had about 2 near misses since being out here.

I am really sorry to hear this news.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is that a Brougham? I haven't seen one of those in years....."

That's because you don't live here...

I see them all over the place, mainly in Detroit...and if I may be permitted a small stereotype here, they are really popular with black doods in their 20s-40s...you also see some senior citizens driving them who were probably original owners...

Cadillac built them to last

(Message edited by thejesus on August 23, 2007)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad accident but accidents do happen-everywhere. "Car city" has nothing to do with it. And... as another biker, it is really strange where and when I have issues with cars. Sometimes, it is the least expected place.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is that a Brougham? I haven't seen one of those in years....."

That's because you don't live here...

Well... duh. That was kinda my point.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm, Jjw: Detroit has THE highest pedestrian fatality rate of any large American city.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't the Cadillac have a handicapped permit on the mirror?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5164
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was probably distracted by that most common of driving distractions... his cell phone!

Jjw

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may have the highest fatality rate for pedestrians and that is sad. However, my point is that accidents do happen everywhere. If I remember correctly (could be wrong), San Francisco was up there on that fatality list and I consider that to be one of the most pedestrian-friendly towns in the country. Also, I believe Oklahoma City may be rated one of the safest but it is a major car town with few options.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroit may have more pedestrian fatalities than any other city, but your point was that Detroit is nothing special when it comes to pedestrian fatalities.

That's just ... um ... really fucking dumb.

Jjw

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No--what is "fucking dumb" is you assuming I said that. Read again junior. I never mentioned what you insinuated. I only mentioned that accidents do occur everywhere.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Awww, fuck you. Anybody who says accidents happen everywhere is implying that this accident is nothing special.

As my dad would say, "Go play in the middle of Michigan Avenue."

Jjw

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. So, have a pleasant day there nerd.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note to self: Do not walk across the lodge. Considering the current market trends, it would be judicious to avoid.

This is sad - but this does happen everywhere. I wonder though if this should be investigated as far as layout - my experience is more north by new center and south by downtown, so I don't know that intersection well enough to have my own opinion - but I would think this should maybe get some traffic engineers' gears going about re-planning.

(Message edited by digitalvision on August 23, 2007)

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at University Foods by that intersection and would see accidents there on a fairly regular basis. I am friends with Steven parks and he said it happened 100 ft in front of him and that the woman had just recently came here as a consultant from Taiwan and he called 911 as soon as it happened. The man who was with her was disoriented and thought he was thrown from another car he wanted to help her but unfortunately it was to late. That intersection is probably one of the busiest in the city there should be some way to make that bridge more pedestrian friendly.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kind of an unusual pedestrian situation, isn't it? I doubt most freeway overpasses in the city get nearly that much pedestrian traffic.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 554
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it is probably the highest traffic of any in the entire city. I wonder if forest was made a two way bridge over the freeway if that would alleviate such a problem at warren?

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 24, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come they didn't say who was at fault? Maybe the vehicle had the right of way? You often see people walking against the light or crossing the street at a random place when they think no vehicle is coming.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Temporary thread jack: does anyone else get the BB&T add at the top of that news story (might have to reopen it a few times to get that add)? Never seen a BB&T branch in Detroit, but maybe they are expanding that way? Anyone know? Either that or somehow channel 4's web site knows that I am viewing the article from Charlotte.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban,

I hope it does not "elevate" the problem, but that it would "alleviate" the problem.

;-)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How come they didn't say who was at fault? Maybe the vehicle had the right of way? You often see people walking against the light or crossing the street at a random place when they think no vehicle is coming.

Good point. If the people were walking against the light or jaywalking, the driver would probably be found innocent. From the video story, it looks like they were walking on a crosswalk, at least.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What most surprised me about this story was that after motorist struck two pedestrians in Detroit, he actually stuck around and seems to have taken some responsibility for what happened!

Small victories.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a huge problem in Europe. So big they are charging big mandates to the design of a vehicle's front clip. Things like pop up hoods, and front fascias that are designed to absorb a body. No more low slung hoods with mm of clearance to the top of the engine. We can expect that here in the next seven years.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a huge problem in Europe. So big they are charging big mandates to the design of a vehicle's front clip. Things like pop up hoods, and front fascias that are designed to absorb a body. No more low slung hoods with mm of clearance to the top of the engine. We can expect that here in the next seven years.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.