Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Weather: Ready to Wail » Archive through July 27, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could have swore lightning struck our Transformer about 3 Times. The lights flickered on and off and the computer cut off twice.

The sad part is, we didn't get a drop of rain :-(

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I could have swore lightning struck our Transformer about 3 Times. The lights flickered on and off and the computer cut off twice.

The sad part is, we didn't get a drop of rain :-(

No actually the sad part is that your computer came back on...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No actually the sad part is that your computer came back on..."

Oh BooHoo, how droll.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For that, I will have to give another WEather Update.

Tonight: The weather for much of Metro Detroit looks dry. However, I wouldn't rule some pop up Showers or Thunderstorms towards Daybreak as the Center of the ULL settles over the Detroit Area. The main Deformation axis, dynamics and instability should remain in far southern Lenawee and Monroe counties with the heaviest of the action in Ohio, SW Michigan and Indiana.

A bit of fog/low stratus is possible as well, but nothing significant.

Thursday: IT looks like a gray one as all of the cloud debris from some of the storms settles in and lower. Widespread Showers and a Few Thunderstorms are expected for much of the day, becoming more numerous during the Midday into the early afternoon hours. Again, the best chance for Widespread heavy rain will be south of I-69.

Unlike today, the storms will be moving even slower. So that means any thunderstorm that does develop may produce Urban and Small Stream Flooding like today as moisture slowly increases overnight.

Thursday Night: Showers and a Few Thunderstorms are likely at least into the Early Morning with the strong Moisture Influx and Dynamics increasing along with a bit more instability to work with,

Friday: A pretty potent Cold Front will be moving through the area late in the day. It's a rather dynamic front for this time of year and with a TRopical Airmass slowly easing into SE Michigan, Widespread T-Storms are likely for much of the day. Can't Rule Out Severe WEather, but SBCAPES will be held to a minimum, keeping any Severe WEather That does occur isolated in Nature.

Friday Night. Storms will be coming to an end as the sun sets and the Cold Front begins to exit the region.

Saturday: It should be a decent day. However, with daytime heating courtesy of subsidence from a building ridge and a weak disturbance sneaking in, a Shower is possible during the day from Detroit Southward. Nothing Severe Though.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For that, I will have to give another WEather Update.

You really are 12 years old, aren't you.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this thread, even though the weather didn't wail in my part of the area today (again). Keep it up, Urbanize, I prefer your forecasts to those of Fox2 where Ben Bailey "unfortunately" has to predict a few drops of rains with a cloud or two (but hey, we'll be all dry for the weekend! - {ashamed} although we could really use the rain) and the bimbos all proclaim in unison how they love this wonderful warm and sunny summer days (90 degrees, leaving their air-conditioned houses in the morning, climbing into their mini vans, cranking up the A/c while driving to their A/C'd offices, stopping at the grocery store store cooled down to below freezing points, then having a nice little BBQ in their backyard where dad ventures out occasionally to flip the burgers, while the family sits around in the A/C'd enclosed porch). Gimme some cool thunderstorms any day, other than that I can't wait for fall.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3353
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever, Dds, that is way better than the weather channel.

Urbanize should ask Lowell for his own weather page to maintain. Dyes has news, discussion, classifieds, and weather, with the focus on Detroit. It's like a local newspaper I'd actually want to read.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AS quoted from Jim Cantore:

"Ok, Now Remember that Upper Level Low That Was Sitting Over New York City Yesterday, It has tracked steadily Westward through New York, Pennsylvania and now it's sitting here over DETROIT! Well this sure isn't July Weather"

Couldn't have said the last part better.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize should ask Lowell for his own weather page to maintain. Dyes has news, discussion, classifieds, and weather, with the focus on Detroit. It's like a local newspaper I'd actually want to read."

Yeah, it would be nice since we have a Sports Section, but I'm not pressed. He probably wouldn't go through the trouble making a whole new section just for me.

I'll just stick to the other weather forums. I'm waiting on this site StormTracker to send me my confirmation E-Mail.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wunderground.com/ra dar/radblast.asp?ID=DTX&lat=0& lon=0&label=you&type=N0R&zoomm ode=pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&ce nterx=344&centery=12&prevzoom= zoom&num=6&delay=15&scale=0.25 &noclutter=0&showstorms=31&sho wlabels=1&rainsnow=1&lightning =1

The City of Detroit (Downtown) is about to get pretty good over the next 15-30 minutes.

If you're out and about the Detroit Area, you better have something ready to keep you from getting soaked.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i-75 and warren = sissy rain shower

Urbanize

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romulus, Trenton, Taylor, Madison Heights, Sterling Heights, North Warren = Heavy to Torrential Downpours.

My theory is, the storms have minds of their owns and they try to avoid certain areas like all the time, like NE Detroit that barely saw a sprinkle.

ALso, what I've noticed is that everytime storms are forecasted, it's the same general areas listed that gets the worst of it.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 26, 2007)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NE Detroit is so rough, even the rain won't come around.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3362
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do they keep all those lawns in grosse pointe so green, Urbanize?

I remember two summers ago a major storm along a strong front moved from Washtenaw County to downtown, with possible funnel cloud sightings along the way. I watched the ch. 4 news at noon and their reporter was outside downtown in pouring rain and strong winds. The dark clouds billowed to the west of where I was at Cadieux/Mack- ish. It never rained. The clouds rolled toward us, brought a breath of wind, and then broke up. I swear that the east side can be the bermuda triangle for thunderstorms under many weather regimes. It is only under strange weather patterns (i.e. weather moving in from the east or north etc.) that we get more weather than other areas.

Having said that, the chances look good for widespread rain and storms late tonight and tomorrow morning, as I'm sure you have read, Urb.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How do they keep all those lawns in grosse pointe so green, Urbanize?"

Good question.

Not only do they keep their lawns watered every single morning with Electronic sprinklers more than likely placed inside the grass, but what I've noticed is that every now and then, even Downtown and the Jefferson ave. corridor can see storms while everyone else remains bone dry.

One summer, when we had a 78 degree dewpoint and that major heatwave (last summer or the one before), A storm popped up over the pointe and moved into Canada. Not to mention that they're near the Lake Breeze fronts.

When I said NE Detroit, I means areas north of I-94 and South of 8 Mile and East of Mound.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figure sometimes it may be the Lake Shadow Effect (include Detroit, Monroe and Port Huron), but even when that's not in place and the air is at it's most unstable, the storms still weaken. Then other times, the storms still managed to reach Monroe and Port Huron but not the NE side.

Yes, I remember the storm you're talking about. The funny thing about the situation is the whole complex reorganized into a Severe line the second it went over Lake St. Clair. This happened with another similar line of storms. They held they're own until a roughly Wixom-Flint line, began to weaken from north to south, then sort of became reincarnated once it passed over into Canada.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't vouch that we get decent weather from the East, since if that was the true case, it will be from a Lake Breeze front off of Lake St. Clair, and usually those affect areas more so north of 8 Mile (Mt. Clemens) than anything.

Now Morth, I can agree on as we got that rather Severe Storm That evening about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, the cell around the Flint area looks interesting with nearly 2 inch in diameter hail (it's warned on). It's starting to grip the SW steering flow.

I would watch it, but I really think evening stabilization will choke it.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought that "forecasted" was a redundant, improper word. "Forecast" seems to be the proper word.

Hey, I hate the grammar police too, but I'm just curious. What say you all?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's getting real nasty SW of Detroit.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning had been issued for Washtenaw, Monroe, and Lenawee Counties for 1 to 2 inch diameter hail producers. So far, the Southside of Ann Arbor is getting it bad and these cells have sort of been making a eastward curve towards the area. As the matter of fact, the far northern cell has even been trying to increase in intensity. If they hold, they could hit the Detroit area hard with hail and torrential rains.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mon Dieu!

It's thundering like crazy here in A2. The wind is blowing mad too! Looks like a nice summer tstorm is in the works and ready to pound!

A few rain droplets are starting to heavily whip the windows.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow, we posted at like the same time, lol. Be prepared for some nice hail as well depending on what side of town you are.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which part of the Detroit area? The Pointes inquire as to where their rain is... :-)

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's unreal Urbanize. Maybe you know what the significance of this?

Wind just stopped blowing almost instantly! It's seriously unreal!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wunderground.com/ra dar/radblast.asp?ID=DTX&lat=0& lon=0&label=you&type=N0R&zoomm ode=pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&ce nterx=451&centery=151&prevzoom =zoom&num=6&delay=15&scale=0.5 &noclutter=0&showstorms=31&sho wlabels=1&rainsnow=1&lightning =1

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wtf!!
ok, that's it, wind is back, stronger. Hail is starting to come down and thundering crazy.

What an amazing storm!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://forecast.weather.gov/sh owsigwx.php?warnzone=MIZ076&wa rncounty=MIC163&firewxzone=MIZ 076&local_place1=Detroit&produ ct1=Severe+Thunderstorm+Warnin g

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Wayne County until 12:15 AM.

Interesting, there's a Surface Based Cape still around 1000 J/KG (decent enough), along with good Moisture Transport, PW values of 1.4 and I would mostly assume the low freezing levels and decent divergence along with Noturnal Cooling.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've been getting torrential downpours since 10pm in A2, Urb. Sorry to see that the east side appears to be missing out again for the time being.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well really, I gave up. I don't know what happened.

Anyway, the SPC has areas along and south of M-59 in the Slight Risk Area for Severe Weather. Our Mian threat again will favor Severe Hail Cores and Torrential Downpours like last night.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point, our Severe Weather Chances are teetering on one heck of a See-Saw.

Really, the Wild Card overall will be can we get enough Sun/Heating to warm into the low to mid 80s with a low to mid 60 dewpoint or Enough Dynamics.

If not, the chances seem null for Severe Weather.